LegacyGT.com

Passat CC

coupe - convertible?? looks lika 4 door saloon

It's called 4 door coupe, because of the roofline style, just like the Merc CLS, also a 4 door coupe.

Coupe = associated with 2 door cars but does NOT mean 2 door cars.

VW's reliability has kept me out of the dealership for many years.. too bad... they have some really nice looking cars.

a good friend of mine has worked at a VW dealership since 2004... he would NEVER buy a VW, nor would I... :lol:

40+k for a VW is outragous might as well get the audi.. then again 35k for a spec b or sti, ouch!

It's called 4 door coupe, because of the roofline style, just like the Merc CLS, also a 4 door coupe.

Coupe = associated with 2 door cars but does NOT mean 2 door cars.

Actually, it means precisely that.

Coupe

One entry found.

Main Entry: cou·pé

Variant(s): or coupe kü-ˈpā, 2 often ˈküp

Function: noun

Etymology: French coupé, from past participle of couper to cut, strike

Date: 1825

1: a four-wheeled closed horse-drawn carriage for two persons inside with an outside seat for the driver in front

2 (usually coupe) : a 2-door automobile often seating only two persons ; also : one with a tight-spaced rear seat — compare sedan

Definition entry two precisely says a 2-door automobile, with two seats or a small rear seating arrangement.

A car with 4 doors is a SEDAN, even if it is sleeker than some other sedans.

I posted this the other day on Autoblog, regarding the Porsche Panamera, which is being marketed the same way. I think I am going to keep it, and start posting it everywhere I come across this fallacy of vocabulary that says a coupe is something other than what it is.

Porsche now, too?

It cannot be a coupe with four doors, and it cannot be a sports car with four seats.

It is a grand touring car, or a sport sedan. There is NO dishonor in that distinction, but calling things by other names just confuses

classifications.

Calling a rose by any other name would still smell as sweet, but calling a rose a daisy just confuses people as to what a rose is.

Why not just throw vocabulary out the window...

Atimar, wernim dorcinate blotus carinese. Four Door Coupe Sports Car.

Guess what I just said. I just made it up. It is hard to communicate when the definitions are not agreed upon, or unknown, isn't it?

Aside from that... yup. It is the Panamera, which isn't a word, either. Panamericana is a word, and a name for an old race based on

"pan"- meaning across, and "-americana", a form of America, a group of continents on this planet. A race across the american continent, specifically Mexico. I am not sure what "Amera" is.

Pretty much the same can be said for the Passat CC, sans the bit about the Panamera name.

At least it doesn't have the convex belt line that the CLS does. The Passat CC looks thick enough in profile, as it is, without CLS's bloated/rounded look.

VW's reliability has kept me out of the dealership for many years.. too bad... they have some really nice looking cars.

Im with you. Excellent product but scary realiability. Having lived thru both good and bad realiability in my years I cant deal with PITA cars anymore , no matter how nice they are.

Actually, it means precisely that.

Definition entry two precisely says a 2-door automobile, with two seats or a small rear seating arrangement.

A car with 4 doors is a SEDAN, even if it is sleeker than some other sedans.

The small rear seat/low roof headroom seating arrangement refers to either 2 or 4 door cars, youre mistakenly thinking that 2nd half of the definition applies only to 2 door cars.

You understand from the definition you posted that coupe is derived from the french word 'to cut/slash' as you just pasted. This refers to the rear seat roofline 'cut/slash'ing into the headroom of the rear seat passengers, hence why cars like the MB CLS, the Rover P5, and CC are referred to as 'coupes' despite having 4 doors.

Did you know that sedans or 'saloons' in the UK are applied to even 2 door cars like the 2 door GC Imprezas because their roofline was unchanged from the 4 door chassis.

The small rear seat/low roof headroom seating arrangement refers to either 2 or 4 door cars, youre mistakenly thinking that 2nd half of the definition applies only to 2 door cars.

You understand from the definition you posted that coupe is derived from the french word 'to cut/slash' as you just pasted. This refers to the rear seat roofline 'cut/slash'ing into the headroom of the rear seat passengers, hence why cars like the MB CLS, the Rover P5, and CC are referred to as 'coupes' despite having 4 doors.

Did you know that sedans or 'saloons' in the UK are applied to even 2 door cars like the 2 door GC Imprezas because their roofline was unchanged from the 4 door chassis.

A: it refers to the size of the vehicle being cut down from a full carriage. SMALLER in size. Coupé carriages were still mostly rectangular in shape, and headroom was not impacted, the cut down part was the fact that it was shorter, and had fewer seats. Almost ALL carriages had only two doors, due to construction techniques and wheel diameter. Coupe cars with two doors, regardless of roof profile tend to be shorter in length than 4 door cars of any stripe, and 4 door cars became more common with metal wheels and rubber tires taking up far less room than tall wooden wheels, allowing for more door openings.

B: IT SPECIFICALLY SAYS TWO DOOR. "also, one with a tight rear seat."

The subject of that addition is the word "one". A non-specific subject like that MUST refer back to the subject of the previous sentence, which is A TWO DOOR CAR. It does not specifically modify that clause of the definition to include more doors, so it must exclude them. It is a dictionary definition, and it would be specific if it intended to include 4 doors. If it meant 2 or 4 doors, it would have SAID 2 or 4 doors.

The word COUPE, as referring to automobiles, is dictated by two things. TWO DOORS, and a fixed, non folding roof. A folding roof makes it a cabriolet.

C: Saloon has a connotation OTHER than the amount of doors. Sedans are three-box automobiles. A bonnet, a cabin, and a separate boot. Two or four doors, it refers to the profile, and technically, the Passat CC, and CLS, both have a distinct "boot." and still classify as sedans. The GC has a distinct boot as well, and technically can be classified as a coupe or a two door sedan, simultaneously. It is not a liftback coupe, nor a shooting brake. It does have a different roofline, slightly than the 4-door sedan anyway.

C2. Just because a 5-door hatchback has a sloping roofline, and not a distinct "boot/", it is still not as small as a coupe, and still doesn't have two doors, so it is usually considered a sedan variant, not being a touring wagon, either. There are usually so few, they traditionally get grouped with sedans, not with coupes, due to the 2 side door definition, and a car with 5 doors have 4 side doors.

You've believed the marketing, not the real definition. Mercedes, BMW, VW, and others don't just get to decide to call something what it isn't.

BMW can call the X6, a Sport Activity Coupe, when it has 4 doors and is as big as some beginner appartments, just because it might have a sloping roofline.

VW, and others also don't get to re-define a term because it might SELL the car. Otherwise Vocabulary would be an insane mess, and nobody would be able to tell anything by it's marketing-speak description.

to paraphrase Wukindada 'that will look great broken down in my driveway'

:lol::lol::lol:

"hey neighbor i like your new car, is that a VW?"

"yep, i just picked her up yesterday, it was between this or some arborvitaes, just wanted something to compliment the house"

that gives me an idea for a new marketing campaign:

Volkswagon, lawn ornaments for your home

Archived