LegacyGT.com

Just installed Bilstein HDs....got a clunk..i think?

psucaptainkickass

With Pinks...and the ride is fantastic...needless to say I have this nagging issue.

It appears as if there is a "twomp" from the front passenger side strut. At first I didn't notice, but I was wondering if anyone has any ideas.

It only comes when I go over small bumps or pot holes...and only if just the passenger side goes over the bump. It really isn't apparent when the entire car goes over a seam on the highway or something. It sounds like maybe something is loose, but there isn't a rattle or anything over tiny imperfections. I've pushed down on that strut from the fender, and I don't hear any weird noises...could it be a sway bar issue, and not a strut issue. There are absolutely zero sounds from the drivers side, which makes me think something is off on the passenger side....

the only thing I can think of is that maybe the bolts that attach to the control arm might be loose...I did hand tight everything afterall...but as for the struts themselves, everything was tightened to spec, and there is only one nut on the strut assembly anyways...I can recheck that top nut, but it doesn't bear any weight once the strut is on the car...

I have had STi pinks on stock struts for a year and a half on MY06 LGT and recently switched to Bilstein HD struts. The ride is great. Fine on not so smooth city roads, firm but not jarring on bumps and pot holes, amazing on spirited cornering...practically no leaning, and essentially no dipping even when braking hard. :)

Lloyd M. 2006 GRP LGT 5EAT Sedan [For Sale]

Thanks guys. "Twomp" gone. I check the strut tower nuts and was able to turn them each by about 1/2 - 3/4 turns. Additionally, I took the dust cover off the top hat and tightened that nut. I was able to turn it a significant amount before it tightened fully.

In terms of ride...for comparison I was on iON springs and stock struts.

I will have to walk around the car, but I believe the drop is more even. There is a little more height in the front, and tiny bit more in the back. I think it looks really good.

The ride is what this car should have been like from the start. It is very very smooth on the highway. I feel a lot less diving and dipping of the car...it feels more in control.

With that being said, the ride is firm...so if you go over a rough patch of road, or if you are on a stretch of highway that you keep driving over bumps that are evenly spaced...you will feel it. That is just how it is going to be. I need to make a better determination now that the twomp is gone, but the car feels very together.

I notice it more when I do little things, like go up a driveway. That intial "bounce" after you go over the curb is gone, the car just kinda stays together.

I like this set up a lot...it's highly recommended!

Congratulations N on finally getting your Bilsteins. FWIW - I had a clunk from the left front and the top hat nuts needed tightening slightly.

BTW - I have found with SpecB Bilsteins and Swifts that I will need to cut the bump stopper down one notch in the front. At normal highway cruise the ride is actually very smooth and taut, the way it should have been from the factory. But if you hit an "up" bump, rather than absorbing it, the car bounces upward. This is because the Swifts drop the car considerably over the stock Bilstein stroke range so that it hits the bump stop sooner. Not a big deal, just need to pull them off, undo the bottom nut, pull them apart, cut a notch out and then reverse-order everthing.

Hope to do that this weekend.

2nd thought - Any roughness I feel from the front end, I directly attributed to the AVO LCA bushings.

- Pro amore Dei et patriam et populum -

Seems like a lot of work to me! Haha.

The only down side to all of this is that the front is now a tiny tiny bit higher. I know I could have went with Swifts...but cmon, I love anything JDM. :) I may just get 18" wheels to fill the gap. :)

Not a lot of work... Literally 30-40 minutes of time start to finish with the right tools (can you say air tools baby) and a lift, add another 30 minutes for jackstands and hand tools. ;)

WRT the front being higher, did you use SpecB or JDM top hats? Either would lower your front end so that it sets flat/level. I doubt you used stockers, because the B's don't work well afaik, but that would be the fix if you did use the stock top hats.

Swifts are JDM....OH SNAP indeed!

JDM tophats = USDM SpecB tophats.

I got the package from KoP so they included SpecB tops...from the FAQ:

The JDM and USDM names are customary - JDM top hats refer to top hats used on Bilsteins, including Bilsteins on USDM Legacy SpecB. USDM top hats are used on some JDM cars, not sure which but are used on some Outbacks. Note, interestingly AusDM 2.0i or 2.5i cars seem to use JDM top hats on KYB struts.

Also pics here:

http://legacygt.com/forums/showthread.php?t=59710&highlight=top+hats&page=2

I got the JDM....yooo...hahaha

Swifts are JDM....OH SNAP indeed!

JDM tophats = USDM SpecB tophats.

I got the package from KoP so they included SpecB tops...from the FAQ:

The JDM and USDM names are customary - JDM top hats refer to top hats used on Bilsteins, including Bilsteins on USDM Legacy SpecB. USDM top hats are used on some JDM cars, not sure which but are used on some Outbacks. Note, interestingly AusDM 2.0i or 2.5i cars seem to use JDM top hats on KYB struts.

Also pics here:

http://legacygt.com/forums/showthread.php?t=59710&highlight=top+hats&page=2

I got the JDM....yooo...hahaha

N - went all the way through that post looking for pics of your car with the new install... :)

Archived