LegacyGT.com

mid pipe/ decat question

ptango

im planning to chuck the mid pipe and replace that short section with a 2.5" steel plumbing pipe, cos the cat has already been welded twice. it had huge hole that brought a tear to my eye, just last week. plumbing pipe cos im cheap and its temporary till i get someone to make me the real deal. im in kenya u see. and drive a legacy gtb ej20r. with a twin piston dump valve and simota racing cone filter, hks turbo timer, but not a single boost gauge looking to get that next. My question is this: i want to retain my stock rear silencer but go ahead and do the decat. will it be too noisy cos i dont want the noise for now anyway.

Thanks lads will be done tomorrow. cos since i removed a cracked pipe inside the resonator (i think) the primary has been spooling poorly. it doesnt have the guts. my secondary has always been crap but thats another story. probably also related to the small hole i have lived with for ages till last week. someone gimme feedback. thanks. you guys should come visit.

• 4 weeks later...

Quick update i didn't remove the cat in the midpipe cos of the oxygen sensor. i just removed the resonator. and replaced it with a straight pipe to the stock muffler. i also found something with a cable on the muffler. the steel cable was leading into the boot, but thats where it had snapped. i replaced it. but what is it and how do you tell if its working.

also i get a weak idle about 500 and my turbo starts to spool at about 3k. the legacy doesnt have the guts it used to, i have taken off the bov thought that maybe it is leaking. no difference. but when performing an ecu reset the idling is at 1K and the car seems more responsive. but once i unplug the connectors it becomes sick. i have zero codes on the ecu. PLEASE HELP. thanks.

Archived