LegacyGT.com

2005 Legacy GT Squeak? Noob Here....Springs?

daillcyruz

hey guys i just picked up a 2005 GT 5MT and I keep hearing squeaks now. Its more pronounce going over bumps or when starting off in 1st and 2nd gear but on highway I dont hear anything usually. I have a feeling that its suspension. and yes I did hit the "search" button and searched but find alot of open ended questions. Here is a link of the squeaks.

Pay attention to seconds 5+7 and 27-29.

Click here to watch 'Sqeak-in-Legacy'

didn't hear anything. consider bringing it in to have someone look at it.?
258k miles - Stock engine/minor suspension upgrades/original shocks/rear struts replaced at 222k/4 passenger side wheel bearings/3 clutches/1 radiator/3 turbos

squeaks? i had them but it was my brakes but suspension does help braking. I got new cross drilled/slotted rotors all 4 wheels no more squeaking =)

Thanks snoop, did you listen to the sound clip though? I have a feeling its the brakes 2....

It has that loose belt sound but I don't think that's it. If there's no squeak while idling, you can probably rule that out. From what the OP described and the sound clip I'd say it's a loose heat shield somewhere. Look for signs if the car was ever modded (new bolts, wrench marks on bolts, etc) and that might give you some clues.

The best thing you can do to find the squeak is stick your head out the door while driving...that way you get a good idea where the sound is coming from. :lol:

I really was gonna stick my head out there and see what I hear LOL. I actually did it today It really sounds like BREAKS. 85 Brakes 15 springs or suspension I think Imma go to the AZP meet on sunday to see if they put up on stilts lol take brakes off n wat not .

When I put on my DP I noticed I had a slight exhaust leak and also a squeak on the test drive. I got back under there and refitted the DP to fix the leak and on the next test drive the squeak was gone. The squeak sounded exactly like your squeak on the sound clip.

I have never heard brakes or suspension squeak like that...bad brakes sound like a loud, high pitched squeal combined with grinding (like a train slamming on its brakes) and something in the suspension is more like a creaking sound...like jumping on your bed lol.

From your OP you only hear the noise when going over bumps. Try to find a flat road or large parking lot and test the brakes. If there's no squeaking you can pretty much rule out the brakes. I really think you'd be wasting your time pulling off the brakes. Also, I have no idea how much experience you have with working on brakes. I just know they are not something for an inexperienced person to be messing around with.

Whoa holy crap this could really explain it. I will try and find a flat service to test this. I sure hope its not DP though cause thats alot of work to do to take it all apart and what not especially since I am new to turbo cars. I am confused though cause you said exhaust leak but then you said you "refitted the DP" which one is it? refit the DP ? or an exhaust leak.

When I put on my DP I noticed I had a slight exhaust leak and also a squeak on the test drive. I got back under there and refitted the DP to fix the leak and on the next test drive the squeak was gone. The squeak sounded exactly like your squeak on the sound clip.

I have never heard brakes or suspension squeak like that...bad brakes sound like a loud, high pitched squeal combined with grinding (like a train slamming on its brakes) and something in the suspension is more like a creaking sound...like jumping on your bed lol.

From your OP you only hear the noise when going over bumps. Try to find a flat road or large parking lot and test the brakes. If there's no squeaking you can pretty much rule out the brakes. I really think you'd be wasting your time pulling off the brakes. Also, I have no idea how much experience you have with working on brakes. I just know they are not something for an inexperienced person to be messing around with.

The downpipe (DP) is part of the exhaust...it runs from the turbo down to the rest of the exhaust. The only reason I had a leak was b/c I put on a Perrin DP which wasn't tightened down enough and/or in the right order, the stock DP was fine. I figure my Perrin was rubbing on a heat shield when it was first installed or I had a bolt that was a little loose.

There's a lot of places under the car the squeak could be coming from...you just have to figure it out...get a socket set and try to tighten things up and check clearances between your exhaust and heat shields. Also check the turbo heatshield.

• 3 weeks later...
Well have you taken it to a certified mechanic? Not some member's home garage, a real mechanic? If you can't diagnose the problem, you aren't going to have a choice.

• 2 weeks later...

So i took it to the dealership and 1st they said it could be 2 things.

1) Worn accessory belts, Replaced those, still the same

2) Broken engine cover metal bracket (Said was bouncing around) replaced- Still the same.

I dropped it off at same dealership last night and now they say it's the "altenator" a bearing in the alternator is messed up thus needing anew alternator.

They said when they take 1 of the belts to the alternator they hear the noise.

What do you guys think?

Archived