LegacyGT.com

I got a question....

I have a 09 legacy and helped a person jumpstart his old junky truck with it. The question is I have a friend that told me that jumpstarting peoples car is bad with new cars. I herd with all the electrical stuff that is with all the new cars now days that it's bad for the car? But then again he was the only one that knew about this so i want to know if he's right or not. If it's true how would it effect it? Thanks in advanced

Sounds like BS to me. I have never heard that and it makes no sense that jump starting someone's car would have a negative impact on yours. Unless your battery is so near-dead that one more start pushes it over the edge it doesn't affect anything.

from what i hear on this subject. I've heard it before in various versions.

it's the possibility of a surge with a computer controlled car. i guess there are newer style cables that can prevent a surge.

and even this http://www.automotivetools.com/online-store/scstore/p-GDL-32-110.html

which seems to go along with the theory of hurting the new cars.

true? dunno. you name it, there is somebody selling it. or a product to counteract it, or claims too anyway..

Personally i have never had a problem jump starting anyone, but i have not done so in a while... last time was 6-7 years ago in a company truck, jump starting an Armored Truck of all things...

I always see people jumping others, i don't even think i have pulled my cables out of the box in my car yet..

You can fix that by then giving your alternator a 1UP mushroom.

Brilliant! :lol:

The only think I've heard on this matter is that with newer cars you need to hook up the cables with both cars turned off to avoid any surges to/from the "helper" car.

You can fix that by then giving your alternator a 1UP mushroom.

Like this?

http://www.thegreenhead.com/imgs/main/grow-your-own-1up-mushroom.jpg

Braille B2015, RBS grill, Borla CBE, Zero/Sports rad shroud, Hayden TC, Group A crank & alt pulley - Mike

I have a 09 legacy and helped a person jumpstart his old junky truck with it. The question is I have a friend that told me that jumpstarting peoples car is bad with new cars. I herd with all the electrical stuff that is with all the new cars now days that it's bad for the car? But then again he was the only one that knew about this so i want to know if he's right or not. If it's true how would it effect it? Thanks in advanced

That is a bunch of nonsense.

Brilliant! :lol:

The only think I've heard on this matter is that with newer cars you need to hook up the cables with both cars turned off to avoid any surges to/from the "helper" car.

I never turn my car off because if their battery is dead, it is going to suck mine down. When I jump someone I have to rev my engine a bit to get enough power to start their car. If I turned my car off, I think the dead battery would pull the charged battery down enough that neither car would start. But I have yet to test that.

Archived