LegacyGT.com

New Legacy Vs. Impreza

I am looking for a new car(subaru of course):). I was looking at the new Impreza 5 doors and the new Legacys. I dont know with I like better. I dont think I need a car as big as a Legacy since I am a single guy but I like the body lines better but I think the 5 doors have more possibilities (sorry Legacy guys). What my question is what car would be better? Has anyone heard anthing good or bad about the 09 5 door Impreza? Thanks in advance.

I just did a quick online auto insurance quote:

-$82/month for an 08 LGT

-$136/month for an 08 WRX

The LGT is a better car IMHO, but I own an LGT so I might be biased, similar to most opinions on the board..

Drive both cars, research, drive them again, research some more, then make a choice based on your own needs & criteria..

I heard the 09 wrx has 265hp which is a plus, but somehow teh lgt is still quicker and its 3k cheaper than the lgt, but its nowhere near as good looking i might add, if you like the 5 door, get a used lgt wagon like mine :D, the lgt is has the better interior, the legacy is just as moddable if not more. I'd say go with the legacy but thats me, if i wanted an wrx than id have bought wrx

the 09LGT gets that nice sound upgrade as well. thats the only thing im missing on my 08 that makes me feel like im regretting not waiting.

the WRX premium is a nice choice as well.. it comes with everything the legacy does except for the leather seats. the WRX seats are more bolstered and a lot sportier. the new look is definitely aggressive compared to the plain looking 08 wrx.

its a tough choice. the wrx is definitely a more aggressive car. you can definitely feel it. its a lot noisier from the inside as well. the LGT is a very sporty and relaxing car though. you feel comfy and can do long trips, but if you want it to go fast, it can definitely do it as well.

try pricing out both. if you want a comfy, more attractive car go for the legacy. if you want a slightly more aggressive but got that wagon practicality go for the wrx.

personally, i love both. the new wrx is definitely done way better than last year's model. the seats, the stock lip kit, mesh grill, blacked out headlamps, dark wheels.. cant go wrong with either.

I spent 6 months test driving and researching cars until I got my Leggy, I love the car anyways but because I was so sure it was exactly what I wanted it continues to grow on me each day.
^ n00bs below this line

I own both and I can say the LGT is a nicer car. It drives nicer, much nicer interior, and is a little bit faster.

I like both cars though. They feel like 2 totally different cars. They are both modded to stage 2.

The legacy has alot more topend, while the WRX pulls really hard down low but falls short up top. So around town the WRX is a blast, but on the highway the LGT will pull on it.

I know the 09 has more power than the 08, but I still think the legacy is a better car and similarily equiped models are close in price.

http://i352.photobucket.com/albums/r358/collegemt/100_1180.jpg

Just so that we are all clear about this to start with, the '08+ Imprezza is based on the '05+ Legacy platform. The 2 cars are very, very similar underneath the skins. One major different in terms of performance is that the '09 WRX comes with "STI-type" turbo so it has more power potential than LGT's smaller stock turbo. Although nobody has done this yet, it's believed that the '09 WRX's turbo can be drop straight into the LGT. So this is not as big of deal if you plan on modding anyway.

I just realized the OP didn't say anything about WRX or LGT, simply Impreza vs Legacy. I wonder if he is looking at the 2.5i's...

its a straight drop.. but if you're going to upgrade the turbo, why not just go for a bigger bolt-on and get as much power out of the legacy as possible? ;)

a bolt turbo for say $400 that would put down 300/300 no prob is a bargain! hard to pass up

MAYHEM

#122/22 STS NNJR SCCA

AUTOX4U.COM

XENON RETRO GUIDE

Just so that we are all clear about this to start with, the '08+ Imprezza is based on the '05+ Legacy platform. The 2 cars are very, very similar underneath the skins. One major different in terms of performance is that the '09 WRX comes with "STI-type" turbo so it has more power potential than LGT's smaller stock turbo. Although nobody has done this yet, it's believed that the '09 WRX's turbo can be drop straight into the LGT. So this is not as big of deal if you plan on modding anyway.

I just realized the OP didn't say anything about WRX or LGT, simply Impreza vs Legacy. I wonder if he is looking at the 2.5i's...

Yes I am accually looking into a Impreza 2.5i not a wrx but I do appreacate all the help and advice.

^^^

then go for the legacy 2.5i. feels much more expensive compared to the impreza even though you'll probably pay about the same. also the 09's have the harmon kardon system.

Impreza 2.5i is lighter and faster than a Legacy 2.5i.....and cheaper.

Impreza 2.5i is lighter and faster than a Legacy 2.5i.....and cheaper.

well he's looking at 2.5i's so i doubt speed is on the top of his shopping list. also yes the legacy is more expensive, but not by much. to be comparably equipped for example, a legacy 2.5i se, you have to be looking at the impreza 2.5i premuim. and the invoice price difference between the two is only about 1k dollars which should be nothing depending on your negotiating skills at the dealership. i love the impreza too but when you compare the features between the two, the legacy just has more or better. about the only thing i can think of is, impreza premium has leather steering wheel/ebrake and the legacy does not, which is completely stupid but whatever.

some examples impreza 2.5i premium vs legacy 2.5i se:

16in wheel vs 17in wheel

100W with 6 disc CD changer vs Harman Kardon 385 watt, 9-speaker

manual adjustable seat vs power adjustable seat

no sunroof?!? vs power sunroof

Actually my wife drives the legacy. I used to drive the trck in the background, but after we bought the legacy I really wanted a fast car for myself. The Legacy will probably say were it is at, as far as mods go. I plan to make the WRX really fast.

• 4 weeks later...

Archived