LegacyGT.com

Buyer's remorse

I did the exact same thing. Bought an 08 3.0R and had it for about 12K miles.

My wife and I thought we wanted an auto and the 3.0R engine.

It was fine for a while but just wasn't fun to drive like my old 05 M/T GT.

We decided to take the beating and pay for something we actually enjoy driving.

I just wish we scraped up the extra $$ and bought the SpecB in the first place.

But maybe it's worth to spend more on other things than the engine - like on suspension/brakes first.

The H6 may not have the same butt dyno acceleration that the GT has but instead have a smoother torque curve and that may actually give you an advantage in some cases.

A co-worker has a 2005 LGT 5EAT. The two cars are as close as can be in acceleration up to at least 65 mph. Of course it is easier to tweak the 2.5T, but you don't have the low-end torque or smoothness or ability to burn Regular gas of the H6, either.

Who Dares Wins

スバル

The car has to drive real nice, is it fuel injected? Post some pics, coupe, fastback or Convt. My first car was a 65 coupe, I miss that car still to this day. Make a custom dash for it, swap in some seats/console from a late model car and maybe power W/L. Add sound deadening, new carpet and stereo and she will be close to having all a new cars comforts.

The Stang has.

-302 with T-5

-cable clutch conversion

-9" with 3.70's

-4 wheel power disc brakes adapted from an 05-09 mustang

-fully upgraded suspension with lowering springs and KYB shocks.

It's really a great ride but sometimes I wish I had the modern comforts in it. It is after all a 42 year old car. I'll throw some pics up sometime for you guys. The body is the most lacking part of it.

there are dynos for it ... making anywhere between 160 to 180 whp :'(
I've never seen a dyno of a 5EAT 2.5T, but here's my 3.0R dyno run on regular. No one seems to have ever done a dyno run of a stock 5EAT 2.5T.

This was at the late TDC. notice they stopped the test at 5800 rpm although the redline is 7000 rpm. When we went back to run the 5EAT 2.5T and 3.0 back-to-back, he said the dyno was broken.....

http://www.geocities.com/theseventhfirst/h6_dyno.jpg

Who Dares Wins

スバル

A co-worker has a 2005 LGT 5EAT. The two cars are as close as can be in acceleration up to at least 65 mph. Of course it is easier to tweak the 2.5T, but you don't have the low-end torque or smoothness or ability to burn Regular gas of the H6, either.

Torque?? The 3.0R doesn't feel like it has any compared to the 2.5T.

Could be the A/T is killing the feel of it. I'd like to drive the SpecB 3.0 M/T version we don't get.

Torque?? The 3.0R doesn't feel like it has any compared to the 2.5T.

Could be the A/T is killing the feel of it. I'd like to drive the SpecB 3.0 M/T version we don't get.

Peak torque is higher on the 2.5T but the H6 seems to develop it at lower rpm. It's very tractable and smooth, not to mention using regular.

Of course, since no one has ever done a dyno run of a stock 2.5T 5EAT, it's all speculation.

Who Dares Wins

スバル

We've got an 08 OBW w/the H6 and it is comfy, perky, but my modded 07 Spec just absolutely smokes it. The question was good - the answers seem to be keep it and be happy, unless you're rolling in dough, or look for some custom mods for the H6.

Enjoy and press on.

If he were rolling in dough, he wouldn't be $4K upside-down on his H6 loan, he'd have just bought the thing. Given the way the economy is misbehaving, I don't think this is a good time to be stretching for toys that you can't really afford.

Use the H6 for the DD, play with the Mustang. HPH

id also say keep it.. you have the stang and that sounds pretty sick so whats the big deal...i personally would love love love to have an old muscle car as my project and a stock legacy to drive daily.. i turn heads on occasion in the legacy but in a 65 mustang you turn heads while you wash it in your driveway :cool: turn up the tunes put your windows down and take a cruise in the mustang and you wont wish you had a lgt anymore..

at the same time was this kinda an impulse buy?? just wondering if you drove the lgt at the same time you purchased your car.. what was it about the 3.0 that made you buy it, and just remember that... and your going to be behind on a loan vs. value whenever you buy a new car, as soon as you leave the lot and sign that dotted line kiss the value good bye..

if you still really want a lgt try and sell it privatly.. you never know who you can rip off... :lol:

Use the H6 for the DD, play with the Mustang.

exactly.

if you had the car paid in full, or not upside down in the loan. different story maybe.

only other option i'd even consider, is selling the car yourself, not as a trade in. you would get more than a trade in, but still may not be able to get what you owe...

An Edmund's.com road test of the 5EAT Legacy GT commented:

The one glaring bit of criticism has been the GT Limited's automatic transmission, which seems to be ill-suited for the vehicle's turbocharged engine.

Now are you talking about the H6 and the 5EAT Turbo being even in a 0-65 launch with or without using a brake-launch to raise the boost of the 5EAT? Because if NOT, we're looking at both cars running a mid 15-second 1/4 mile (assuming they stay even from 65mph on thru the 1/4 mile), which is more than a full second slower than a 5MT Turbo GT.

And a full second slower than a V6 Accord too, I might add. :(

This H6 thing seems to be a big flop, IMO. It doesn't compete with the LGT OR any other V6 import in its class acceleration wise.

--

An Edmund's.com road test of the 5EAT Legacy GT commented:

Now are you talking about the H6 and the 5EAT Turbo being even in a 0-65 launch with or without using a brake-launch to raise the boost of the 5EAT? Because if NOT, we're looking at both cars running a mid 15-second 1/4 mile (assuming they stay even from 65mph on thru the 1/4 mile), which is more than a full second slower than a 5MT Turbo GT.

And a full second slower than a V6 Accord too, I might add. :(

This H6 thing seems to be a big flop, IMO. It doesn't compete with the LGT OR any other V6 import in its class acceleration wise.

--

Yup, the lower-geared 5 speed manual accelerates 0-60 faster. No one buys the H6 to accelerate 0-60. I suspect they're mostly like me: I drive it 30,000 miles a year, tow a 3,000 lb boat trailer, burn regular, and wanted the higher resale value.

They don't sell the 6 speed SpecB 3.0R in the US, which is available in Europe and Australia.

Who Dares Wins

スバル

Archived