LegacyGT.com

Does this sound like a bad clutch/gear/synchro/none of the above problem?

edkwon

So i have about 37K miles on my car, most of it is ordinary, non-beating, daily driving, but on occasion i put it thru its paces thru the country backroads and shift hard and aggressively. I don't do the dragstrip and nothing stupid like dumping the clutch or anything really abusive to my tranny. Its the 6MT btw.

So in the last 1000 miles ive started noticing when the car is cold and i start it up, there is a grinding sound and feel when i engage first gear which doesn't appear with any of the other gears. I have to slip the clutch a little more to engage first smoothly but i figure thats from normal clutch wear, however this grinding (like its a chewed up gear?) is different. However after the car and transmission oil is pretty warmed up, i dont notice this griding after a while every time i reengage 1st gear during the same drive (assume this is city driving with lots of stop lights), but leave the car parked for hours, everything cools down and i start it up again, same grinding in 1st.

What does it sound like to you guys? I'm planning a clutch replacement anyway and i changed my tranny oil to redline about 15K miles ago and there was no evidence of any real gear damage then in terms of metal shavings or chunks.

Time for Extra-S? :)

To me, this doesn't sound unusual. Most man. trans cars I've driven have some clunkiness in first when first starting off and the gears/fluid are cold or things are starting to heat up and aren't yet at the same temperature.

Since it seems to go away with warm-up, I'm guessing it's fluid related.

Just my .02 cents though...

Joe

Time for Extra-S? :)

To me, this doesn't sound unusual. Most man. trans cars I've driven have some clunkiness in first when first starting off and the gears/fluid are cold or things are starting to heat up and aren't yet at the same temperature.

Since it seems to go away with warm-up, I'm guessing it's fluid related.

Just my .02 cents though...

Joe

Point is, after about 36K miles, this is a *change* in noise and behavoir and that's usually a red flag for something that needs attn.

What you say is operating under the assumption that my transmission was like this from the start.

Quite the opposite. You could have fluid degradation after 25k on the redline that causes it to lose it's cold lubricating properties, which would be especially taxed on the first gear ratios.

First gear in most manual transmission cars in cold weather is "notchy" and will be among the most likely to have problems (rather than 4th and 5th). I'm saying that since it's warm-up related, I'm guessing a fluid change would help resolve it.

Joe

Quite the opposite. You could have fluid degradation after 25k on the redline that causes it to lose it's cold lubricating properties, which would be especially taxed on the first gear ratios.

First gear in most manual transmission cars in cold weather is "notchy" and will be among the most likely to have problems (rather than 4th and 5th). I'm saying that since it's warm-up related, I'm guessing a fluid change would help resolve it.

Joe

I see, thanks, i'll look into it.

Ed - It's usually a cheap, easy thing to do and after 25k it's not like you aren't almost due anyway.

FYI - My 06 Civic SI, 10,000 miles after I bought it, started to have occasional 2nd gear grinds and problems with 3rd gear. 3rd gear would be "locked out" sometimes when cold, or would go in and then would pop out of gear when acceleration was attempted.

Many, many owners had huge petitions, ultimately resulting in a TSB which says the 3rd gear syncro set can be replaced.

I just changed my fluid to AMSOIL MTF at 15k miles. I've never had a single issue with 3rd gear since then. 37k miles later, my trans is getting notchy though and an occasional quiet grind will be emitted, when cold, due to the fluid wearing out.

And that's in a low torque FWD Honda. Not anywhere near the taxing stress of the LGT.

Joe

The tranny is covered by Subaru until 60,000 miles. Keep an eye on it or have the dealer check it out and keep a record of the dealer visit.

305,600miles 5/2012 ej257 short block, 8/2011 installed VF52 turbo, @20.8psi, 280whp, 300ftlbs. (SOLD).  CHECK your oil, these cars use it.

Engine Build - Click Here

Archived