LegacyGT.com

225/45/17 winter tires?

RJS5689

My GTI came from the factory with 225/45/17 series rubber and that's exactly the size rubber I use for my winter tires. I still have 2 good winter tires left and dont feel like buying skinnier tires for winter for the subi, I just want to get a pair of 17" wheels and only need to buy 2 tires. Im assuming running 225/45/17 setup on the Subi for winter will be alright? Anyone have experience using this setup. The tires are Blizzack REVO1s.

That size will be fine in the winter. A slightly different topic though...how worn are the tires you say are still good? If they are more than a 1/4" inch different in circumference than new tires then you run the risk of damaging your center differential if you combine them together. You would either have to get the new tires shaved down to the size of the tires you have now or just get a new set of 4.

That size will be fine in the winter. A slightly different topic though...how worn are the tires you say are still good? If they are more than a 1/4" inch different in circumference than new tires then you run the risk of damaging your center differential if you combine them together. You would either have to get the new tires shaved down to the size of the tires you have now or just get a new set of 4.

I had no idea man, thanks for that bit of advice. They were off the rear of the vehicle and still have some good depth, but im not gonna take the risk.

I just got Dunlop 3ds in 205/50/17, they fit nice on my lowered car. I dont think the 205/55/17 will fit cause my new scows are drasticly taller then my 225/45/17.

I had 225/45/17 Nokian WRs last year that were really nice. They were better then the RE92s in dry and did well in snow. They wont let you drive like you normaly would but they will get you home. I got the car stuck 1 time with them in 2 years of using them.

my dunlop 3ds are 225 45s and work great

^ Same.

The only thing that keeps up with me, in the white stuff, are pickups with dedicated winter tires, fully-loaded with a bed full of salt and a plow on the front. :lol:

The rears still get squiggly if I get too happy on the go pedal (I'm typical "Stage II"). :redface:

In terms of "safety margin," if you drove conservatively, you'd be fine, even under blizzard situations.

Still, narrower is better. :)

<-- I love Winky, my "periwinkle" (ABP) LGT! - Allen / Usual Suspect "DumboRAT" / One of the Three Stooges

'16 Outback, '16 WRX, 7th Subaru Family

Would 235/45/17 fit? Those are the tires I'm looking at buying for my current car, but I plan to put them on the LGT when I get it next winter. I believe I could also put a 225/45/17 on my wheel, but stock is 245/45/17 so I don't want to go much smaller.

^ Dude, REB, is that you? :D

( Sorry I don't have a good answer for your 235 question.... :redface: ).

<-- I love Winky, my "periwinkle" (ABP) LGT! - Allen / Usual Suspect "DumboRAT" / One of the Three Stooges

Yep, its me, I've been a member since Dec 07, lol. Can you tell me the width of the rim? The rims I have for winter tires currently are 17x8.

You can do 235 on a 17x8 no problem. I used to have 225 on my 17x8's b/c I was too cheap to buy 245's. They worked just fine, you could barely tell that the tires were too skinny. And these were dedicated summer tires too. On a winter tire, you should definitely be fine.

Yep, its me, I've been a member since Dec 07, lol.

Dec. '07? Dude, you've been keeping an eye for LGTs for that long, and you've JUST NOW decided to finally get one!

:p

Can you tell me the width of the rim? The rims I have for winter tires currently are 17x8.

^ Like the others have suggested, the rim width isn't a problem, there are many here with 17x8s.

Check the thread that good brother LGT Dave referenced you to, in order to make sure your offset and bolt-pattern are compatible, too. That's the important part. :) Similarly, suspension mods (or lack thereof) may also determine limits of rim/tire fitment.

And keep in mind that although some aftermarket 17s can clear the factory STi Brembos - in case you wished for an upgrade, later on - not all inherently can. Cross-check on TireRack, or something similar, for '04 STi fitments, to be sure.

Well I joined when RD.net crashed and I didn't know what was going on and I found this forum w/ your S/N so I could PM you. I then decided I want a LGT sometime around April when I saw a nice white wagon debadged. I can't afford one until I'm done with the payments on the GTO, as I plan on having the LGT as a 2nd car, GTO will not be sold in the foreseeable future. I went out and test drove a Spec B back in June, obviously missing some torque but I'm sure I could fix that :).

And I know I can run 235/45/17 or 225/45/17 on my stock GTO 17x8 wheel, the question was can I fit a 235/45/17 on your LGT 17x7. The thread LGT Dave linked shows only the 225/45/17 will fit on a 7" and a 8" wheel.

And I don't plan on using the same physical wheels, I know the GTO is 5x120mm and won't fit the LGT. I will be unmounting them and remounting onto the stock LGT wheels. The 17" GTO wheels will then get drag radials (currently have 18s w/ summer tires), and I'll buy some after market wheels for the LGT with tires good for autox.

So:

GTO: Summer & Drag Racing

LGT: Winter & AutoX

Those are my current life goals.

I then decided I want a LGT sometime around April when I saw a nice white wagon debadged. I can't afford one until I'm done with the payments on the GTO, as I plan on having the LGT as a 2nd car, GTO will not be sold in the foreseeable future. I went out and test drove a Spec B back in June, obviously missing some torque but I'm sure I could fix that :).

^ Given that the GTO is your fun/summer car, I think that if you landed a sweet deal on an unmodified or mildly modified '05 5MT wagon, you should go for it. I've honestly always regretted not having gotten a BP - I truly think that it's some of the *best* wagon styling to have come along in the last decade.

The extra utility would have really come in handy.

Take her to "Stage II," and you don't ever have to worry about durability and reliability issues, and you'll have enough fun in the winter months and in foul weather that you shouldn't miss the extra performance of your Goat too, too much. ;)

And I know I can run 235/45/17 or 225/45/17 on my stock GTO 17x8 wheel, the question was can I fit a 235/45/17 on your LGT 17x7. The thread LGT Dave linked shows only the 225/45/17 will fit on a 7" and a 8" wheel.

And I don't plan on using the same physical wheels, I know the GTO is 5x120mm and won't fit the LGT. I will be unmounting them and remounting onto the stock LGT wheels. The 17" GTO wheels will then get drag radials (currently have 18s w/ summer tires), and I'll buy some after market wheels for the LGT with tires good for autox.

So:

GTO: Summer & Drag Racing

LGT: Winter & AutoX

Those are my current life goals.

Ah! I see!

OK, so you're going to dismount the tires - now that makes complete sense. :)

Add to the fact that "Stage II" durability and ease-of-maintenance would also be great for AutoX!

Hum....that's a good question.

I used a 225 (a "wide" 225, Falkens) on the factory 7-inch rim, and it was fine. Steering response wasn't great, but then again, in wintry weather, that's not all that big of a concern (to put this in-perspective I'm one of those guys who actually likes the way a 225 "feels" on an 8-inch wide rim).

I wonder if the 235s are doable on the 7-inch stockers, too. :confused:

Archived