LegacyGT.com

MD Registration Questions

tjwilke

So, as some may have seen my other thread, I just moved to Maryland for work (Army Civilian) and have a number of questions about getting my modded 08 LGT registered in this state.

First of all, do I need to have it registered in MD? I left my mother, who is a resident of Washington State where I am registered, on my registration because I was a full-time student in TX for the last year and didn't want to deal with changing registration while I was there. Since she is the primary registrant on my vehicle which is registered in her state, do I need to bother changing it?

If I do go ahead with changing to MD, I understand that I have to put my car through an inspection (which I know it won't pass). I remember seeing a list somewhere of what they inspect, does someone have that? Also, what do they actually inspect. As far as I know, my windows are too dark (20%), my taillight tint needs to go, I'll need to trade for some stock headlights (painted & modded w/HIDs), and buy some new bumper reflectors (painted mine). This seems like a huge pain in the ass but I will do it if I have to and might just convert the whole car back to stock while I am at it.

So, can anyone recommend a place to remove my tint? Can anyone recommend a shop that may be less strict for the inspection? I don't want to fail the inspection for a stupid reason.

Also, I am stage 2 (AP, Catless TBE, K&N filter w/snorkus delete, pulley, etc.) will this cause me any problems for inspection?

I've been reading through the MVA site and read what they had posted but I am more interested in first hand experiences. Thank you in advance! This is all very new to me because Washington doesn't have inspections so please be kind.

I've lived in MD for a few years now. I've not found a shop who'll pass you with illegal tint. Or other illegal mods.

check out this link: http://mva.state.md.us/MVAProg/VEIP/default.htm

when you go to MVA there is a state trooper there that'll inspect your tint. better to take it off now. I had to take mine off with windex and a razor. came off pretty easy.

As for your mods. you can put it to stock and then put them back on, but you may also get a letter for a surprise inspection. i got one 2 years ago on my car.

258k miles - Stock engine/minor suspension upgrades/original shocks/rear struts replaced at 222k/4 passenger side wheel bearings/3 clutches/1 radiator/3 turbos

All. sucked for me; when I moved to frederick I had an outback. my front 2 windows were lighter than back 5. he measure every window. failed me on the back 5.
258k miles - Stock engine/minor suspension upgrades/original shocks/rear struts replaced at 222k/4 passenger side wheel bearings/3 clutches/1 radiator/3 turbos

i work at a shop that has a maryland state inspector and know that it has to have the cats, and no shop has a laser meter that measures tint so they usually just fail tint no matter the percentage. All lights will need to be clear and in working order (if you have a spoiler and a brake light behind the rear window they both have to work). As far as the over all inspection goes, they look over the entire car. I am sure you can find an under the table inspection but you will pay big bucks for it.

You'll have an emissions test sometime after inspection and registration, and it may or may not be a joke. The guy didn't have the right connector to do the gas cap pressure test, so he skipped it. He also didn't do the dyno/sniffer test or a visual inspection. The only thing he did do was hook up the computer and see if my LGT threw any codes.

Inspection was a pain in the ass for my previous car. Even though it was relatively new and low miles, the first shop that inspected it failed me and wanted $1200 to replace the steering rack because they claimed it had a small oil leak. I took the car somewhere else after that and they passed it with no problems. Lesson: It can be cheaper to pay for more inspections than to pay someone to fix your "problem" so you pass inspection.

Emissions in MD is easy. No codes and you pass pretty much.

The first inspection is everything. WHen i bought my honda it failed because of LCA bushings that were bad.

Good luck with most of that. HIDs i dont think matter as long as both the regular and high beams work(easy in our cars)

Tint and what not is gonna be harder. UNless its real important. Or your gonna be here a long time. Id say leave it in WA

Thanks for all of the responses. This process seems like a huge pain.... so, I'm thinking I'll probably leave it registered in Washington until someone says something. I would hope they see the DoD sticker on my windshield and assume I'm military. Truth is, the Army required that I move here for the next 3 years until my program is up and then I will most likely move back to Washington.

Yeah...I would just keep it registered in washington as well. If your mother is the primary registrant on the car...doesn't that mean she technically "owns" the car. In which case, can you even register the car in MD? Wouldn't the title be in her name?

If you ever get pulled over...just say you just got here. I wouldn't worry about changing anything until then.

I got pulled over in CA with out of state plates. Cop asked me how long I was there...few weeks was my answer, never told me to go get my plates swapped or anything. I figure if I got pulled over a second time I would be in trouble...but I never did.

The emissions test is OBD2. Assuming you have the original ECU installed and no codes (even with a piggyback), you should pass that.
06LOB2.5i MT, JDMRSB, GYTTs, HPS, LGT Mufflers & Leather Wheel, SubiMomo Knob, Inalfa Moonroof, Clutch Switch Bypass, DeDRLd, DeChimed, & Straight Headrest.

it'd be tempting to keep it WA if you're going back in 3. they could give you 1 or two reg tickets a year and you still win (excise, inspections, reg/plates, license will put you back over 5 bills and monster hassle). plus no points transfer to out there, so they'd be less likely to mess with you for nonsense moving vios and really couldn't hit you for stupid local dress code.

hate to rain on the idea, but i see insurance as your only issue; god forbid you get into a serious bump, they might scratch their heads @ wtf the car's doing 3000 miles away from ma's garage.

OP hasn't chimed in on this...but they can ticket you all they want...if the car isn't in his name, he can't register it...

They can't force you to register someone else's car...as long as the owner of the car is cool with you "borrowing" it, and doesn't report it stolen...

Insurance you can update...you can say the car is in another spot. They don't care about the licensing of the car. If you let them know, they will just charge you appropriately, no problem there.

OP hasn't chimed in on this...but they can ticket you all they want...if the car isn't in his name, he can't register it...

They can't force you to register someone else's car...as long as the owner of the car is cool with you "borrowing" it, and doesn't report it stolen...

Insurance you can update...you can say the car is in another spot. They don't care about the licensing of the car. If you let them know, they will just charge you appropriately, no problem there.

Well... I am still on the registration but as the secondary registrant. I left my mom on there strictly for ease while I was getting my master's in Texas. I am the only one on the loan and insurance and I am insured in Maryland. I have USAA so I think they are pretty used to having "military" related issues like mine.

I'm just gonna leave it as is for now. If I get pulled over and they make me switch, I'll worry about it then. Until that point, I'll just try to do little things here and there to get my car ready in case I actually have to go through with the inspection.

For what it's worth, I was pulled over twice in Texas (for stupid reasons, one time for going 60 in a 55) and neither cop had an issue with me living in state and being registered out of state. I just told them I work for the Army (which is true) and they left it at that.

i always thought to insure a car in a state, you had to live there; and if you live there, you'd have to reg it there, or vice versa - etc. i could be wrong.

When I was in TX I had my car registered in WA and insured in TX. Now I am insured in MD registered in WA. They don't really care... at least my insurance company doesn't.

it'd be tempting to keep it WA if you're going back in 3. they could give you 1 or two reg tickets a year and you still win (excise, inspections, reg/plates, license will put you back over 5 bills and monster hassle). plus no points transfer to out there, so they'd be less likely to mess with you for nonsense moving vios and really couldn't hit you for stupid local dress code.

hate to rain on the idea, but i see insurance as your only issue; god forbid you get into a serious bump, they might scratch their heads @ wtf the car's doing 3000 miles away from ma's garage.

Also, I had to file a claim while I was living in TX for the $8100 in hail damage I had while out there... the insurance company didn't even blink an eye. I don't think that will be an issue.

Archived