LegacyGT.com

Keep makin the same mistakes... lost power again today.

WHY ARENT THERE MORE 76's AROUND HERE??? Exxon mobile premium is such CRAP here out in LA that i truely can feel a severe loss in power. Its like i got the car detuned! If anyone goes to get their car tuned on anything but 76, youre wasting a tune. Everyone, please be good to your finickey turbo cars. Please. They deserve the best.

WHY ARENT THERE MORE 76's AROUND HERE??? Exxon mobile premium is such CRAP here out in LA that i truely can feel a severe loss in power. Its like i got the car detuned! If anyone goes to get their car tuned on anything but 76, youre wasting a tune. Everyone, please be good to your finickey turbo cars. Please. They deserve the best.

Oh puleez....Exxon "mobile"?....wasting "a tune"?....good grief...

Sorry to burst your knowledge bubble, but..

All gasoline (at equal octane) is the same. Only detergents and the like are added at their next to last stop (Mobil distributor, Exxon distributor, etc). Gasoline is delivered from their original refinery sources in a shared pipeline program. That is, Mobil, Exxon, what have you, all come from the same source otherwise the distribution line would be extremely inefficient for some of those oil companies. Long ago they agreed to a shared pipeline distribution.

Any perceived difference in performance is just that - your perception. Oil Companies will tout their product with adjectives or superlatives fully knowing that it is for marketing only.

Source - History Channel one hour program

Now if you think about it...the 93 octane gas has to be at least 93 O to be certified as such. Moving around (refinery - storage tank - transport tanker - gas station) all these high chain aromatics...you're bound to loose those higher end 8-chain carbons...They are heavier...and sediement towards the bottom. Not to mention gasoline around heer is 10% ethanol as well. I do not know what kind of pee-wasser you got there in SO.CAL but I cannot imagine such drastic changes between one brand vs another.

Although Shell V-Power seems to be better.

Even Canadians get 94 Octane at Petro-Canada. But you want Shell gas and it is just 91...so there you go....you're better off with your home brewed (of imported raw materials that cost us 2000 soldiers in recent years and bankrupted our economy ) good ole' american 93 juice...

Sorry to burst your knowledge bubble, but..

All gasoline (at equal octane) is the same. Only detergents and the like are added at their next to last stop (Mobil distributor, Exxon distributor, etc). Gasoline is delivered from their original refinery sources in a shared pipeline program. That is, Mobil, Exxon, what have you, all come from the same source otherwise the distribution line would be extremely inefficient for some of those oil companies. Long ago they agreed to a shared pipeline distribution.

Any perceived difference in performance is just that - your perception. Oil Companies will tout their product with adjectives or superlatives fully knowing that it is for marketing only.

Source - History Channel one hour program

Yes, gas is not significantly different from station to station, but the additives put in it can make a difference, however slight. 76 usually produces the best results (at least in California) because it was the first to get rid of MTBE when it was no longer required by California law. Now that other companies are getting on the no-MTBE wagon, the distinction is getting a little thinner.

There are a few additives/detergents that can be helpful, but for the most part, Company A's additives will do the same thing as Company B's.

Source - One hour History Channel program *and* One hour Discovery Channel program.

Yep I agree gas is gas like oil is oil. They all must meet minimum standards. Everything else is just additives. Buy what ever is cheapest.

305,600miles 5/2012 ej257 short block, 8/2011 installed VF52 turbo, @20.8psi, 280whp, 300ftlbs. (SOLD).  CHECK your oil, these cars use it.

Engine Build - Click Here

Not only that; you are giving your money to middle eastern countries using exxon/mobile

Shell

Chevron/Texaco

Marathon/Speedway

Amoco

boycott Mid-Eastern Gasoline Companies

I only use

Citgo or Conoco

Ive always noticed differences in the way cars run with different gas. Im surprised so many people think otherwise...especially people who are that into their cars. one addition i have to make, is that what i write only really applies to the turbo cars, but it got moved from that forum due to a judgement call by the moderator. what i think ill do is just dyno the car tonight and prove my observations. ill also keep an ear out for pinging, because that is a SURE sign of differences in gas. of course, i could be wrong... but having a dyno at my disposal will answer all our questions:)

Archived