LegacyGT.com

What the deuce? Changed oil today and...

Hi all,

Changed my oil today...damn 3500 mile warranty intervals (I do 3500 instead of waiting for 3750).

Anyway. I went to Pepboys and looked up my oil filter....Purolator PureOne PL14610. Nice new design....they made the exterior into a grippy material for an easier time hand tightening and loosening.

I'm changing my filter and see, very clearly, that the last filter I had on was a PL14612. It's about 1/2" taller and maybe a hair skinnier. Both threaded on just fine. But am I missing something? Did Purolator or Subaru change the model of Purolator filter we should be using?

:iam:

Joe

PL14610 doesn't correspond to any Subaru engine.

PL14460 has been used on just about all engines since the late 80's til 04, and then PL14612 is used on 05+ 4 cyl. engines.

I do love those new designed PureOne filters though, it's all I have been using lately.

Ok, I went to the Purolator website. Apparently, they have the exact same specification (literally, same width, thread sizing, relief valve PSI specs, etc.) except for the height. The one I installed is .5" smaller in height.

And, ironically, it appears to fit my Civic SI. I must've bought the wrong spec, for some reason. And, ironically, it just so happens to fit.

Oh well, I'll leave it on there for 3500 miles :)

Now what the hell is on my SI right now...

Joe

Ive been using PL14610 since my first oil change. I couldnt stand how tiny the OEM filter was, the PL14610 was same diameter as OEM, but quite a bit taller. I got 16k on my car now been using that one and the Mobil 1 version of the PL14610 since.

Archived