LegacyGT.com

Cobb Catted DP: Borla vs Magnaflow

Polak91

I have a cobb catted dp that i want to install but at the same time i want to install a catback because dont want to go under the car twice and get new gaskets twice. I know that Borla and Magnaflow have two different unique sounds. However i cant seem to choose. One because i dont really know how loud the Borla or Magnaflow would be with a catted Dp. Also if Magnaflow has a 2.5 inch flange or not.

Could someone post some sounds clips of them with catted dp and help me answer my questions.

Thanks

Im looking into a Borla CBE with a Cobb catted DP and came across this:

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ifxJm_A032Y]YouTube - Subaru Legacy 2.5 GT Borla Exhaust Sound Clip[/ame]

Dont know about a magnaflow with Cobb catted DP, havent come across one yet

they're far opposite ends of the spectrum. magnaflow is pretty loud from what I gathered, and will drone when cruising. the borla is quiet. i just bought one and put it on, got the car back on monday. I love the sound, nice deep rumble but it is pretty tame on volume which is what I wanted. does get up there if you get on it, but i'm not outside the car when doing that so i dont know what its like out there. has almost no drone inside the cabin at crusing speeds for highway or road driving.

just search youtube for subaru legacy exhaust and there's a lot of postings.

Thanks guntrain i have actually watched that video maybe 25 times trying to figure out how loud the car actually is in the video.

I am actually leaning towards the magnaflow because it is louder and i dont do any highway driving really. the only thing that is holding me back is the idea that borla is loud(with a catted dp) and makes people turn their heads. I want an exhaust that will growl even at low rpms and make people wonder if i have a V8.

If there is anyone else that would like to chime in on how loud the borla is or put another sound clip i would greatly appreciate it.

i dont know if its still the case, but I tried to buy a Borla from auto parts warehouse about 3 weeks ago. the website says it is in stock but it was actually not in stock. they charged me (debit card) before they figured out that it wasnt in stock. was able to get a refund but it took some time...ended up getting mine through JSC Speed, a vendor on the board. good price on it and it got there 2 days after i placed the order. could probably PM Aaron from them, his name is JSC Speed I believe.

i've heard people getting the magnaflow for $550 or less from planet magnaflow i think. is that the website where you can make an offer? if it is, people said they shot low like $500 and they came back with an offer for them

theres one or two other videos online for a borla....just search "borla subaru" on youtube or something and you should be able to find it. there is one that the camera is mounted in someone's yard and it's looking at the side of the car. the guy gets in starts it up and revs it a few times and then takes off. gives you a better idea of the sound from a distance. it's not even close to as quiet as the stock exhaust, but much quieter than the magnaflow (i've seen the mag described as thunder lol). people nearby you will hear it, you can hear it in the car, but people a block away probably wont. but again, i've only really heard it inside my own car....which it sounds beautiful from the inside...

thanks, but i already made up my mind a couple of days ago. I decided to go for the magnaflow. I chose it one because i don't do so much highway driving(no issue if drone), i wanted to be loud and proud and show off that boxer rumble, and also because i got it for 591 shipped. That is quite less than the borla. On some sites the borla goes for 738 plus shipping and thats the cheapest i found.

Thanks for all that gave me advice. it seems like i didn't take any of it but i did take it into account.

Ill update you on what i think when i install it next weekend.

Archived