LegacyGT.com

Perrin TMIC & Hood Scoop Duct

I removed the plastic duct under the hood from the hoodscoop that directs air over the intercooler. My only qualm is that I did this to get more airflow over the intercooler since the Perrin is larger but I feel that there is less cool air getting to the IC since its never cool to the touch after driving now. Has anyone else removed this part?

doesnt the stock plastic duct seal against the engine cover, so its forcing air directly through the intercooler, also has a little duct that moves air around the turbo/DP area too. I would think if you removed that ducting it wont be sealing w/ the engine cover anymore, and air would just get pushed in and start spreading out under the hood, instead of through the intercooler.

doesnt the stock plastic duct seal against the engine cover, so its forcing air directly through the intercooler, also has a little duct that moves air around the turbo/DP area too. I would think if you removed that ducting it wont be sealing w/ the engine cover anymore, and air would just get pushed in and start spreading out under the hood, instead of through the intercooler.

Yea But the Perrin Intercooler is larger the the area that would be sealed.

Do you notice a difference with the splitter? How much did you pay?

I forget where i ordered the splitter from, but it was about $300

As far as noticing a difference? you mean from my driving experience? from my butt dyno? not really but i installed both around the same time.

Good to know.

Are you running the OEM "boot" with the ZeroSports unit that attaches to the stock splitter?

I'm not sure of what you mean by "boot". I popped the hood, took out the popits and pulled off the black blanket on the underside of the hood, the OEM splitter is held in by a few screws, put in the ZeroSports one in reverse order.

I'm not sure of what you mean by "boot". I popped the hood, took out the popits and pulled off the black blanket on the underside of the hood, the OEM splitter is held in by a few screws, put in the ZeroSports one in reverse order.

Part #9 is what I was referring to as the "boot". The ZeroSports splitter would be #5.

splitter_assy.gif.328739dc41a1fd462c53e5df6e9092ce.gif

I have a Perrin TMIC. The Perrin was larger than the opening in the engine cover, from top to bottom but the same side to side. So I cut the cover at the bottom so it matched the TMIC, and I cut and rolled the top of the opening so that the TMIC's topmost fins were revealed. I then used the soft part of Velcro to make seals so that the TMIC is sealed to the engine cover. The "splitter" comes close to the TMIC, as it should, but never close enough to touch.

The engine cover, as well as the ducting on the hood are essential for two reasons; one, they ensure the hood scoop is sealed to the TMIC so that it works efficiently, and two, in conjunction with the undercover they create a negative air pressure region that, in essence, sucks air through the hoodscoop.

Looking under my hood you wouldn't know it had a large Perrin TMIC. But it works, and works well. Although I first had the Perrin TMIC on a VF40 it is now connected to my AVO380. I use only the two frontmost popits to hold the engine cover, with two black plastic screws with nuts in the top holes for cosmetic finish.

Do not try to outthink Subaru's aerodynamic engineering.

That back part of the piece (#9) crushes the fins in the back most corners of the TMIC. Take a look at all the Perrin units pics in the car or for sale used. They all have it. I cut that back flap off mine prior to installing the ZeroSports one. I never put the piece (#9) back on. Maybe I'll give it try.

Absolutely.

The used Perrin unit that I purchased had the bent fins. I would eventually like to purchase the ZeroSports splitter and cut #9 to fit. As of now the black piece has been removed since I took the time to straighten out the fins with a precision instrument (needle nose pliers). I was just curious to see if you were able to get the ZeroSports splitter + #9 on.

Archived