LegacyGT.com

How to: Install the HomeLink equipped Sun Visor

• 2 weeks later...

i've followed the instruction carefully. and like mulliganvi can't get any power to the new visor. connected red and orange to red. and black to black. the vanity lights won't go on or anything. Opie are you reading this? please advise.

thanks

• 4 weeks later...

Opie, count me as another one having problems. I tried the blk to blk, red+orange to red, and got nothing. (no mirror or homelink) So then I searched and came up with these directions. In these you say do red to red, and blk+orange to blk. After doing that, I had power to the mirror, but the homelink is still dead. :( Any thoughts...

Ted

:spin:

The easiest way to resolve most problems is to verify proper wiring. The Homelink visor has 3 wires coming out of it:

RED = 12v Positive (Powers Vanity Mirror Lights)

ORANGE = 12v Positive (Powers Homelink Controller)

BLACK = Ground (shared ground for both the vanity mirror and the Homelink controller).

Using a multimeter test the wires from the OEM visor harness, one will be 12v positive and the other will be ground. Make the connections: 12v positive to RED & ORANGE wires on the Homelink visor / ground to black wires on the Homelink visor.

I agree with Opie on the test thing. I tested mine last night and it finally worked with Orange and black from the visor connecting to red from the car, and red from the visor going to black from the car. I basically kept trying connections on the car/visor until I got the right one, then I soldered it...

Works great!!!!

Ted

:spin:

Like this?

[http://www.subarupartsforyou.com/cp_partdetail.php?partid=2273]

I've purchased from these guys before. Their shipping was fast and reasonably priced.

Like that, yes, but one that actually has the homelink VISOR. I do NOT want the homlink mirror that your link points to, and could not find the visor on their site.

• 2 weeks later...

I'm annoyed.

Last sunday I ordered the Homelink visor from http://www.mastrowrx.com

I ordered the visor even though the Homelink mirror was cheaper because I already have the auto-dimming mirror & compass, I was afraid that the border arround the mirror would be wider because of the buttons, and I don't want anything else obstructing my vision, and I don't want to have to be adjusting the mirrors every time I need to open my garage door.

A box arrived from Mastrowrx today. It looked too small to be a visor. I opened it, and inside was the Homelink mirror.

I went and double checked my e-mail, and yes, what I ordered was the visor.

They had substituted the mirror for the visor, and adjusted the price down to reflect the change, WITHOUT ASKING!!!

Now, if I decide I really want the visor and not the mirror, I have to spend time & money to send this damnd thing back to them, and then wait another week for them to send me the visor.

Now, having said all that, I did take a closer look at the mirror.

The boarder with the buttons is shorter than the boarder on the non-homelink mirror, but rectangular rather than bowed, so they both block about the same amount of space, so that worry was unfounded.

The buttons require very little force, and the mirror adjustemnt joints are rather stiff, so it looks like if one were careful one could press the buttons without having to re-adjust the mirror. I still don't like the idea of having to mess with my rear view mirror in order to open the garage. As far as I'm concerned, the installation of the visor would be simpler than the mirror. For me, changing a connector is trivial. The mirror requires dissassembling the overhead light, and popping part of the headliner free to re-do the wireing. (no, the wireing for the auto-dimming mirror/compass can not be used for the Homelink mirror, they don't use the same wiring).

If they had asked before they had shiped this, I would have refused the substitution. The visor is still a better place for buttons. Now, with the price difference, and more importantly the TIME required to send the damned thing back, I might keep it. But that is part of what pisses me off, because I'm sure that is what they were counting on! I have half a mind to send the damned thing back out of spite. At the very least I won't ever order anything from them again! This is one of those things that car dealers do, Yes they may make a sale, but they lose any repeat business they might have had.

I'm still pissed.

I'm annoyed.

Last sunday I ordered the Homelink visor from http://www.mastrowrx.com

I ordered the visor even though the Homelink mirror was cheaper because I already have the auto-dimming mirror & compass, I was afraid that the border arround the mirror would be wider because of the buttons, and I don't want anything else obstructing my vision, and I don't want to have to be adjusting the mirrors every time I need to open my garage door.

A box arrived from Mastrowrx today. It looked too small to be a visor. I opened it, and inside was the Homelink mirror.

I went and double checked my e-mail, and yes, what I ordered was the visor.

They had substituted the mirror for the visor, and adjusted the price down to reflect the change, WITHOUT ASKING!!!

Now, if I decide I really want the visor and not the mirror, I have to spend time & money to send this damnd thing back to them, and then wait another week for them to send me the visor.

Now, having said all that, I did take a closer look at the mirror.

The boarder with the buttons is shorter than the boarder on the non-homelink mirror, but rectangular rather than bowed, so they both block about the same amount of space, so that worry was unfounded.

The buttons require very little force, and the mirror adjustemnt joints are rather stiff, so it looks like if one were careful one could press the buttons without having to re-adjust the mirror. I still don't like the idea of having to mess with my rear view mirror in order to open the garage. As far as I'm concerned, the installation of the visor would be simpler than the mirror. For me, changing a connector is trivial. The mirror requires dissassembling the overhead light, and popping part of the headliner free to re-do the wireing. (no, the wireing for the auto-dimming mirror/compass can not be used for the Homelink mirror, they don't use the same wiring).

If they had asked before they had shiped this, I would have refused the substitution. The visor is still a better place for buttons. Now, with the price difference, and more importantly the TIME required to send the damned thing back, I might keep it. But that is part of what pisses me off, because I'm sure that is what they were counting on! I have half a mind to send the damned thing back out of spite. At the very least I won't ever order anything from them again! This is one of those things that car dealers do, Yes they may make a sale, but they lose any repeat business they might have had.

I'm still pissed.

First off let me apologize for the mistake on our part. This is the first I have heard about the mistake but I can tell you it was an honest mistake and we will do anything we can to make the problem right. Please give us a call today at 1-800-683-2532 and ask for Kyle.

Opie

Will @ Mastro Subaru

DAP,

I handled your order. I wish you had contacted us before you post all this. We have an 800 number, and if we make an error, WE pay to get the part back to us.

We have sold 2 visors. Both to Opie for his own car. We sell loads of the mirrors.

There is no conspiracy to swap parts. It's a shipping error. Call me and we'll get it sorted out.

Bill

MastroWRX.com

DAP,

I handled your order. I wish you had contacted us before you post all this. We have an 800 number, and if we make an error, WE pay to get the part back to us.

We have sold 2 visors. Both to Opie for his own car. We sell loads of the mirrors.

There is no conspiracy to swap parts. It's a shipping error. Call me and we'll get it sorted out.

Bill

MastroWRX.com

There are a few reasons I did not call you first. First, I needed to vent, and I'm sure you did not want to listen to me vent on the phone. Also, I do not get out of work till late, pacific standard time, so by the time I knew there was a problem it was about 10:00 PM in Florida. I don't think there would be anyone there to talk to at that time. The most important reason is that I have not yet decided if it is worth the extra bucks & the extra time to exchange the mirror for the visor. If I decide to keep the mirror, there is no reason for me to call you at all.

If you say it was a shipping error, I'll take your word for it. In the heat of the moment, I assumed the worst. I appologise for questioning your integrety.

As mentioned in my previous post, all but one of my objections to having the homelink buttons on the mirror were eliminated once I saw the actual mirror. Now, if someone can confirm that the mirror does not get missalligned every time one of the buttons is pressed, I will probably decide to keep the mirror.

I installed the mirror today, so you don't need to worry about me sending it back.

One drawback to this mirror is that it can't be adjusted as high as the compass mirror without the homelink. The ball joint on the window attachment point is mounted perpendicular to the glass, rather than horizontal like the non-homelink mirror, and that prevents the support from being set at an upward angle. (does allow an extreem (and useless) downward angle though).

• 2 months later...
I agree with Opie on the test thing. I tested mine last night and it finally worked with Orange and black from the visor connecting to red from the car, and red from the visor going to black from the car. I basically kept trying connections on the car/visor until I got the right one, then I soldered it...

Works great!!!!

Ted

This same wiring worked for me. Thanks Praedet and Opie, the working homelink visor is a great addition to my car.

Glad to help, the more I use my Homelink Visor, the more I'm glad I installed it.

No garage door opener cluttering up the visor...and if I forget to turn off my porch light in the morning I can do it while backing out of the driveway! :D

Now I just need to find something for the third button to control...

• 3 years later...

Hey Dap,

I'm finally getting around to dong something for a homelink solution.

Right now I am deciding whether the visor or mirror is the way to go.

I don't have a compass on the mirror so that might be a nice feature.

I assume you can still adjust it to the proper height just not as high as the other mirror.

Also, what was installation like.

Did you have to buy some glass adhesive or what?

It sounds like a direct plug in and easier than the visor.

I think the visor sounds cleaner and don't have to worry about the mirror getting out of alignment.

What are your thoughts after using it.

You glad you got the mirror?

I also tried several times using this site http://www.mastrowrx.com

Unfortuantely the search function doesn't work at all.

It put up 6 pages of performance parts no matter what I did in the search options.

So I'll have to find another place for the mirror.

I wonder if anyone is giving these things away yet... ;)

I installed the mirror today, so you don't need to worry about me sending it back.

One drawback to this mirror is that it can't be adjusted as high as the compass mirror without the homelink. The ball joint on the window attachment point is mounted perpendicular to the glass, rather than horizontal like the non-homelink mirror, and that prevents the support from being set at an upward angle. (does allow an extreem (and useless) downward angle though).

• 1 year later...

Archived