LegacyGT.com

Megan Racing Coilover Problems LGT or OBXT or STI

Scooby2.5

Any problems with Megan Racing Coilovers?  

49 members have voted

1. 1. Any problems with Megan Racing Coilovers?

• No Problems Love Em (Explain Below)
    • No Problems Hate Em (Explain Below)
    • Problems- Making Noises etc
    • Problems- Broken Cartridges, Leaking Grease etc

Anyone had problems like have been reported with the megan racing coilovers failing on the outbacks. Clunking, broken cartridges, leaking oil etc...

Also how long have you had them on the car?

Mine are right at 1 year old, but have been clunking for 4-5 months. No grease issues yet or anything else.

I will say when mine were working without the clunks, I loved em, they worked great.

I am not 100% positive that it is my coilovers but I cannot find anything loose anywhere. With what others have reported though, I suspect this is the issue. I will be replacing the cartridges to see if it goes away.

Let me know your experience and please take the poll above. You may select more than one item so if you love but have had problems check both.

In the last month my front's started making the dreaded "clunking" noise. Over speed bumps at low speed and other random bumps in the road. I took off my tires to check them and everything is tight. I am going to try and tighten the Top Hat bolts next to see if that helps at all. I am also going to disconnect my cusco FSB just to make sure that is not making the noise.

:icon_twis Slide It Sideways :icon_twis

No problems here. I had a clunk sound but by using an 8mm hex wrench and a crescent wrench to tighten everything up, i've been good. Used them at multiple trackdays, autox, and bumpy public roads and have been happy with them up to now. Had them for over a year with 10k miles on them.

I suggest everyone try the fix i mentioned above. It should work for like 90percent of the clunking problems.

One year, 10k+ miles, one montana winter, 5 track days, 15+ autox days. Been happy with em.

Only problem I've had is with the front springs binding while doing tight turns. This results in a sorta clunk sound when they un-bind. Cleaning and lubricating the spring perches fixes this.

No problems here. I had a clunk sound but by using an 8mm hex wrench and a crescent wrench to tighten everything up, i've been good. Used them at multiple trackdays, autox, and bumpy public roads and have been happy with them up to now. Had them for over a year with 10k miles on them.

I suggest everyone try the fix i mentioned above. It should work for like 90percent of the clunking problems.

Didnt work for me, In fact I had about only 3 threads showing on the top hat nut. I cranked it down with an impact so now 6-7 threads showing. When you do this you can barely get the rubber caps on. Still clunks like crazy.

Boy I wish I could find the problem. Other than this I LOVE EM!

In the last month my front's started making the dreaded "clunking" noise. Over speed bumps at low speed and other random bumps in the road. I took off my tires to check them and everything is tight. I am going to try and tighten the Top Hat bolts next to see if that helps at all. I am also going to disconnect my cusco FSB just to make sure that is not making the noise.

Let us know what you find!

No problem here on the LGT sedan, ~20k highway miles. Love is probably too strong of a word for it though. I think "Like" better describes how I feel. The springs are a bit too stiff for a daily driver IMHO.

• 4 weeks later...

update?

• 2 weeks later...
Just changed my MR CO's back to stock struts with H teins. Best thing I have ever done to my car!!!!! MR co's are the biggest POC ever! I had them on for less than one year and they are done! Cluncking, crunching, squeeking, whatever someone else can enjoy them. They suck! Maybe good for strict track use. Not good for california roads or any bump. They will not last in normal real world roads, conditions. Over 50% of owners are having problems says it all imho.

Just changed my MR CO's back to stock struts with H teins. Best thing I have ever done to my car!!!!! MR co's are the biggest POC ever! I had them on for less than one year and they are done! Cluncking, crunching, squeeking, whatever someone else can enjoy them. They suck! Maybe good for strict track use. Not good for california roads or any bump. They will not last in normal real world roads, conditions. Over 50% of owners are having problems says it all imho.

We do not have that luxury do to the fact they do not make any other springs for the outback.

Well I took the fronts off today and found nothing that would be clunking. Spring perch nuts were all tight, no slop at all in the spring top or bottom so the preload was fine. Bottom lock nuts so tight I still have yet to get them loose. Tophats tight as well.

So my hope is the new damper cartriges are the issue.

wooohooo mine is fixed!! :spin::spin::spin::spin:

I put the front cartridges on today put everything back together and the clunk is gone. Rides like it used to.

I will say again though that the cartridges could have been the problem or the tophats were binding.

One thing to make sure if you have these is everything may seem tight but if you did not bolt on the tophat before you messed with the preload, by loosening the spring perch, you may have a bind.

What happens is this: if you do not tighten down the tophat first and you have already loosened the bottom spring perch, and then you tighten the bottom spring perch to set preload, it could bind at the top and the top hat and top spring perch is not all the way seated down on the shock cartridge.

You have to seat the top perch on the shock cartridge, then put the bushing, then the tophat and bolt it down tight.

Then move the bottom spring perch up, set preload, and then tighten the lock nut.

Again I do not know if this was the case with mine or if it was bad cartridges. I am pretty sure it was the cartridges as others have had this problem as well, but it doesnt hurt to check the top perch and tophat by taking the coilover off and making sure there is no problems at the tophat area. Especially if you only have a few threads showing above the tophat nut

On mine from vel0mac, the rubber top hat plugs were in but they should not be. You should have 6-7 threads showing above the tophat nut and you should NOT be able to put the rubber plug on the tophat.

The replacement front cartridges I did get from Paul had more stroke as well. The new ones were 87mm the old ones 65mm. I just pushed them in on the floor and measured the oil ring it makes back to the black body.

Anyway dont give up on them yet as I am back in business. For how long, I dont know but right now they are feeling great.

I've put 20,000 miles on mine in the past year. Canyon carving, regular commuting, winter driving, and even a few off-road trips. Definitely worth the money but don't expect quality on the level of H&R, Tein, etc

I had the knocking sound for a bit also but it was because I didn't install the top nut using a pass-through socket as I should have. I've got at least 10,000 miles since then with no problems.

Well put the new cartridges on my car on november 10th, it is riding great.

Went under to pull control arms off for new bushings and this is what I see.

http://inlinethumb39.webshots.com/42278/2593996780074087040S600x600Q85.jpg

I called megan about it talked to cyrus and he said it was normal. Sometimes they put too much assembly grease in the cartridge and it seeps out.

I do not personally see how this is possible as the threaded body of the cartridge doesnt seem to have a way for the grease to escape.

He told me to keep an eye on it and if I have any more problems they will send me new ones again.

He also stated that they are redesigning these to make them non inverted because they are having so many issues.

He said that the inverted design was never meant to be daily driven.

these coilovers are the biggest pieces of shit out there they clunk over every bump. ride way to rough cant even go over the slightest bump in the road without thinking your dash is goin to blow apart. when ever turn slow you hear thre strut top popping i wish i never wasted my money on them. people say handling is worth the trade off. what handling the car is all over the road because there all blown out there junk is there any warranty on these

I would say if you are having clunking problems check the things I mentioned above. If that does not fix your problem then get ahold of megan and they will warranty replace the cartridges. Since replacing my cartridges mine have been fine. No clunking, with 5mm preload and the dampening set to soft they ride great. If you put the dampening up hard they corner well. Overall I like them other than the few cartridge problems I have had.

Put it this way. They are way better than the stock ones you can compress with your hands if off the car.

I would say you could also contact one of the other coilover makers and they would probably custom make cartridges the length the outback needs as the rest of the coilover is the same as the LGT.

Good Luck

• 2 months later...

Sorry to bump this old thread, but i need some help identifying these

Ok i'm not much of a coilover guru, but these are the replacement shocks i got from Paul for MR. Does it look right to you? Are these what I need to make my coilovers ride well again?

Also the writing on the wraps, for the longer 2 fronts it says "GDB/EVO Front Shocks"

The shorter 2 rears says "Legacy 05 R"

http://i33.photobucket.com/albums/d70/Hangerr/For%20Sale/DSC02082.jpg

http://i33.photobucket.com/albums/d70/Hangerr/For%20Sale/DSC02085.jpg

http://i33.photobucket.com/albums/d70/Hangerr/For%20Sale/DSC02086.jpg

http://i33.photobucket.com/albums/d70/Hangerr/For%20Sale/DSC02083.jpg

http://i33.photobucket.com/albums/d70/Hangerr/For%20Sale/DSC02084.jpg

○ ○ ○

Instagram: itshangertime :spin::spin::spin: ○ ○ ○

ok i confirmed that this is the part that is can be worn on the coilover system. And also the pillowmount can be worn out too.

Although i don't really know what and where the pillow mount is. :iam:

And confirmed that although it says GDB/EVO on the front struts, but it is the correct product number

○ ○ ○

Instagram: itshangertime :spin::spin::spin: ○ ○ ○

• 2 weeks later...

Archived