LegacyGT.com

performance comparison

jota69

right now I'm in the market to buy a car and I really like the LGT, my question is what are the stock 1/4 mile times for a 5speed mt LGT and also what will be the max hp and the fastest 1/4 mile time I can get with the basic performance mods ( intake, exhaust,DP and ecu). I will like a car that will run low 13's to high 12's with a little luxury inside. I think STIs and Evos are fast but the in side looks cheap, thats why I'm considering the LGT, its fast and has some luxury inside

I currently own a 2001 saab 9-3 convertible that I will be trading in.

The other cars I'm looking at are a subaru legacy GT and a mazdaspeed6.

your answers will be apreciated.

The mazdaspeed 6 is slower period. That lil ass turbo peak real early. I drove one for days. theres no after market for those. They really won't the potential performance as a gt. was in the market for both. hands down gt

you plan to daily drive this 12 second car?

I agree with the other poster, the LGT has a larger mod market, a better AWD system, and its not in any way related to ford.

"The penalty good men pay for indifference to public affairs is to be ruled by evil men." - Plato

• 2 weeks later...
right now I'm in the market to buy a car and I really like the LGT, my question is what are the stock 1/4 mile times for a 5speed mt LGT and also what will be the max hp and the fastest 1/4 mile time I can get with the basic performance mods ( intake, exhaust,DP and ecu). I will like a car that will run low 13's to high 12's with a little luxury inside. I think STIs and Evos are fast but the in side looks cheap, thats why I'm considering the LGT, its fast and has some luxury inside

I currently own a 2001 saab 9-3 convertible that I will be trading in.

The other cars I'm looking at are a subaru legacy GT and a mazdaspeed6.

your answers will be apreciated.

just found this thread today.

http://www.legacygt.com/forums/showthread.php?t=62363

all the way from stock to modded times. and even a vid :cool:

I originally was looking to get a WRX myself. Smart dealer had me test drive the LGT and WRX back to back... (not the STI, just normal WRX)

the space in a LGT and ride comfort/performance balance sold me on the LGT instead. my plan to buy a WRX and mod the crap out of it to STI range or beyond.. died after driving the LGT.

Don't forget insurance. My company saw me looking at WRX wagon and said $130/month. With the LGT I'm getting, they said $115. Granted, it's not much but it'll add up. Oh, and FYI, I'm going from a MINI with 115HP to a LGT. 2x the power and you wanna know how much my premium changed? $6 a month. From $109-$115 for 2x the power.:lol: I get the Legacy dosen't ping on their high performance radar.:cool: Oh, and a friend made a good point. The MazdaSpeed 6 drivetrain is one-of-a-kind. Not featured in any others which means untested in thereal world, limited numbers, parts will scarce and expensive, and you'd probably need a Mazda nut or dealer to work on it because of it's uniqueness. Plus they have bad heat soak issues.

When i did the same thing for insurance, my Agent is a friend of mine so she did a alot of comparisons for me.

I have a 89 4X4 Blazer i drive now, for 2 weeks till the 09 gets here, the Legacy is not even $20 more per 6mo.

A WRX, not a STI, just the "plain" WRX... another $85 per 6mo over the LGT.

now $85/6mo is not a whole lot... but still.

I like the look of the pre-09 mazdaspeed 6. Not fond of the new 09 look. But i had the same conclusion when i looked at the mazda. I kept looking at the AWD system. I had to ask myself, how long has Mazda even made an AWD system? and isn't Ford building some Mazda's? (and Vice-Versa) I think the old Ford Ranger is a Mazda rebadge if i'm not mistaken. and the Ford Escape is a Mazda as well.

I dislike Ford myself. that was a bad point on the Speed6 to me.

you haven't had enough fords then. I will never again buy a ford. Transmissions that cant last 50k miles are inexcusable. 210hp from a 5 liter v8 is inexcusable, poor service and having techs treat me like crap is inexcusable. About the only thing I enjoyed about my ford was it being my 1st vehicle and having the SOUND of a v8.

I suppose it goes w/o saying for this thread however that the ms6 is in no way affiliated with ford right? I mean I know the ms3 is "imported" from japan cos a friend of mine bought one and had to wait on the boat.

I still see VERY few ms3s or ms6s on the road. I see far more wrxs and LGTs and even then its a rarity.

"The penalty good men pay for indifference to public affairs is to be ruled by evil men." - Plato

Yep. Insurance sees "Mustang" or "Camaro", regardless of drivetrain, and it's like "Let me see your wallet". *Abuse abuse abuse*:lol:

Are you serious?, i pay 80 dollars more a month for my 05 legacy than i did for my 2000 trans Am, 6 speed, red, with t-tops. And i was 18 when i got that car, and 20 when i sold it, it was even cheaper when i was 18 compared to being 21 with the legacy.

Are you serious?, i pay 80 dollars more a month for my 05 legacy than i did for my 2000 trans Am, 6 speed, red, with t-tops. And i was 18 when i got that car, and 20 when i sold it, it was even cheaper when i was 18 compared to being 21 with the legacy.

Huh. I guess it changes from person to person and companies, as well. If I was 18 and said TA, they'd rape all over my wallet. Sounds like you got lucky when you were 18. :confused:

you haven't had enough fords then. I will never again buy a ford. Transmissions that cant last 50k miles are inexcusable. 210hp from a 5 liter v8 is inexcusable, poor service and having techs treat me like crap is inexcusable. About the only thing I enjoyed about my ford was it being my 1st vehicle and having the SOUND of a v8.

I suppose it goes w/o saying for this thread however that the ms6 is in no way affiliated with ford right? I mean I know the ms3 is "imported" from japan cos a friend of mine bought one and had to wait on the boat.

I still see VERY few ms3s or ms6s on the road. I see far more wrxs and LGTs and even then its a rarity.

Honestly, I wouldn't buy a Ford or a GM. I just said I'd buy a Ford before a GM product. You gotta remember, transmissions (or anything for that matter) won't last in any car without proper maintenance. My first vehicle was a Ranger with 180k miles and OE trans. Why? Because the previous owners maintained it. My friend bought an Escape. Needed a trans at 50k miles because it was never maintained. Same with his dad's SHO. New trans at 80k because of lack of maintenance. And in the 2 1/2 years I did retail parts, I sold quite a few Turbo 350's from lack of maintenance. But yes, I agree that 210HP from a 5.0 is just fail-tastic.:lol: Just don't tell Fox body guys that.

well in the 7 years I had my ford it spent about 2 of them in the shop having regular and irregular maintenance done to it. It was a 4R95E the same tranny they put in the F-150. It actually died at about 46k miles.. it wouldn't downshift from overdrive, went into overdrive VERY soon and when you gunned it would downshift for literally 1 second before returning to overdrive..when going up a hill I would lose 10-15mph with my foot to the floor trying to make it downshift.. it would not. 0-60 was 12-15 seconds.. When going down hill if you let off the gas the trasnmission would jerk like it fell out of gear or something.. touch the gas and it'd jerk again. the dealer "rebuilt" the transmission but nothing changed. When I called them on it the technician got in my face and told me I didnt know what I was talking about and wouldn't know normal behavior on a transmission to save my life.. that he was the ASE tech and I was just some kid.. and that he was not going to work on my vehicle if it came into the shop again for the problem, he would bill me and turn it around. The guy in the bay that sets up trouble tickets did the same. He would not speak to me, would not put it in for a ticket regardless of the problem it had. I started doing my own service.

I drove it like this for ~35k miles before putting it up for sale.. I coudln't stand it anymore.

so when I see mazda, I attach it to ford, and it REALLY turns me off because of the above... even tho the speed series is not made with ford. the fact that ford will potentially see a profit because of its affiliation makes this a no deal in my eyes.

LGT ftw.. preferablly one that was made before toyota got a stake in them.

I like the look of the pre-09 mazdaspeed 6. Not fond of the new 09 look. But i had the same conclusion when i looked at the mazda.

If you're looking to buy new, keep in mind that mazdaspeed6 production was stopped in 2007 - a car that was only made for 3 years total and then stopped due to lack of interest is kind of intimidating to me.

I've owned a couple ford's.... never again, they are all garbage

Just don't tell that to a Ford guy, right?:lol: And I even have a good Ford friend. But, he's not your average Mustang/F-series Ford fan. His future plan is a 3.0 SHO motor into a late 90's 2wd Ranger.:rolleyes: Although I'm a bit more of a Chrysler fan when it comes to domestics, I don't see myself buying any of them any time soon. I guess that's what you get when you're born into a MOPAR household. Dad's toys are a 71 Dart and a 70 AMX which should be fired up today, actually. ;)

If you're looking to buy new, keep in mind that mazdaspeed6 production was stopped in 2007 - a car that was only made for 3 years total and then stopped due to lack of interest is kind of intimidating to me.

I already purchased a 09 LGT. :wub:

When i was looking, i spent about 10 min looking at the specs of the Mazdaspeed 6. every time i see a Mazda6 on the road, i like the look of it, but the new 09... ugly. i never really looked into the speed 6 enough to know they stopped making them lol. guess that makes my choice even better.

Yeah the Ins company you choose does make a difference. I switched from Allstate to Farmers a few years ago, My Friend got me to switch. She saved me a TON when i switched... my house Ins was like $300 less per year for same coverage, and my Auto... almost 50% less... :eek: Allstate was screwing me bad. and i have a clean record... only one ticket ever, and it's long since off my record. My LGT is going to be about $415/6mo. i have almost 3x the coverage that i had with Allstate that i was paying about $700/6mo for a 89 4x4 blazer...

so yeah, YMMV with Ins companies.

as far as the Ford/GM debate this has turned into. I'm a GM guy, but i'd buy a Ford over a Dodge. We used to race, Ford just never could catch the GM's around here.

It's just a kneejerk reaction for me, Ford=no thanks.

Now.. if only i could afford the new Camaro, or ZR1 vette :cool:

(i don't even want to know what my Ins would be with either)

Archived