LegacyGT.com

OBXT brake upgrades that don't cost $thousands???

SeanP

I need to get some front rotors and pads ordered for the OBXT. It seems that all that I can do for an upgrade is to find some Legacy GT gear or spend $2K+ on some Brembo/rotor/pads.

Good lord, I just want some nice rotors and pads that will fit my exisiting calipers. Anybody have some updated info on whats available to us red-headed LGT stepchildren?

Pads aren't gonna help the OBXT. They're just too small and can't handle the heat generated. Upgraded pads will just work better at the higher temps.

Best bang for buck is upgrading to LGT calipers and rotors. All you gotta do is bolt them on.

(Updated 8/22/17)

2005 Outback FMT

Running on Electrons

Or we have a Wilwood caliper upgrade which works with the OBXT also. You get the Wilwood calipers and all hardware needed to "upgrade" to LGT rotor size. You do need 17" wheels though.

http://legacygt.com/forums/showthread.php?t=96953

Free Sonax Cleaner Deal

http://www.brakeswap.com

Carbotech, Hawk, PFC, DBA Rotors, Motul, Wilwood, Castrol...

Great service. No bumping required :icon_tong!

thanks for the notes, guys. I am trying to source some STI calipers and get some new rotors and pads and lines. I know I will still be into this for 1200 for the front, but the OEM brakes are dangerously undersized for the car. Good news is I have 18" wheels so I have some options. Does anyone thing that adding the bigger STI (or those nice wilwood) calipers will necisitate a larger master cylinder to push more fluid?

SeanP

You are probably looking for more braking than I was. I don't track the car but I did want improved braking. I flushed the old fluid out and put in Amsoil Brake Fluid and it was a significant difference. Even my wife was impressed. My 2 cents.

just saw that hawk finally has rear brake pads for obxt you could get front ones before. now you can have all around I did notice a difference when I installed the fronts now I am waiting for rears ..

Compound: HPS

Intended Use: Street

Part #:

HB557F.545

• 2 months later...

Lots of choices to get better brakes on there guys.

Decent pads helped mine quite a bit. One thing though - while the front rotor on the OBXT/Leg NA is the same 'outside' as the WRX - inside it's much bigger. It's at least 2-3 lbs heavier - thicker plates and more vanes than a regular WRX front rotor. So Subaru did put bigger brakes on there - just not big like the LGT.

Archived