LegacyGT.com

SSR Competition Wheels

Jay

Well, here are some pics of the SSR Comps on the LGT in case anyone is considering them. The wheels are 18" x 8" and the tires are 225/40YR-18 Michelin Pilot Sport PS2 XL's. I would never spend a dime on an aftermarket wheel that didn't reduce unsprung weight, and I wasn't dissappointed with this setup. I saved 6.5 lbs per wheel! Gotta love that. The tires are amazing for their cold grip and literally light years better than the RE92s (which isn't saying much.) I've never driven a max performance summer tire that had this much grip below 50 degrees. I can't wait for the spring/summer. At the moment the only other suspension modification is front and rear Cusco sway bars (23 mm front, 21 mm rear).

I did (foolishly) try to drive in the snow a couple weeks ago and while I was surprised the tires actually started and stopped resonably well, they had virtually no lateral grip whatsoever. (I live near kanoswrx and tried to drive the same day he had his parking lot rally at GMU http://legacygt.com/forums/showthread.php?t=7385&page=1&pp=10...) I know, never drive max perf Summer tires in the snow, but I had to try it anyway, and can report they are as dangerous as you might imagine.

http://members.cox.net/jay10/pics/LGT2.jpg

http://members.cox.net/jay10/pics/LGT1.jpg

I really just posted this so someone who is considering this wheel can see what it looks like, but thanks for the compliments. I'll "drop it" soon when I put coilovers on the car. (Probably Zeal V6s based on some discussion with Xenonk.) I could really care less about the "bling" effect, I'm looking to make the car handle better. On the other hand, I will admit the wheel well gap on this car is more than I would have designed into it.

with the wheels straight, can you stand behind or in front of the car and take a shot straight down the side so I can get an idea of how far the wheels come out?

i'm can't decide on 8 or 8.5. it seems like 8.5 won't have any problems rubbing the fender lips by looking at your pictures, but it doesn't look like there's any/much suspension droppage from stock.

thanks.

Almond,

There is quite a bit of leftover room with the 8.0's and I doubt there would be any issues going to 8.5's. Because of the offset of the wheel, the tires are basically in the same place relative to the stock when it comes to the fenders, so a picture wouldn't really show you anything. (The majority of the increase in width is towards the suspension, and there is plenty of room under there. When I installed the sway bars I looked carefully and was surprised by the amount of clearance.) If you really want a definitive answer to just about any question on this subject, you should read Xenonk's outrageously complete post on the subject of wheel and tire sizes for the LGT at http://legacygt.com/forums/showthread.php?t=4426

Good luck!

Jay

Great choice in tires, they are by far the best money can buy if you front the cost. Just wait til summer and the tires will blow your mind. Enjoy everything and it looks good.

Song of Post- Is This Love

'05 Black Legacy GT Wagon 5-spd

'02 Topaz/Black 330Ci 5-spd

Drift Ryder's School of Rally Arts, coming to an Australia near you.

I've heard the rumors about the SSRs being trouble (SSR = Super Soft Rims), but it's hard to pass up a 14.5 lb wheel and the benefits that it brings. I hope it won't be a problem on the track. I'll be running higher pressure obviously and doing my best to stay away from any "unnatural" obstacles. :-) All in all, if you treat them with respect, you shouldn't have trouble.

I agree with Jay in that it makes no sense to buy expensive and heavy aftermarket wheels. I have had SSR Comps before and never had any problems, so my future Legacy GT will wear 17 x 8.5 (offset=48) SSR Comps together with 235/40-ZR17 Goodyear Eagle F1 GS-D3 tires.

Val,

I almost bought the GS-D3s (the tread pattern is pure sex!) but drove a friend's car with the PS2s and was sold. Since I couldn't drive the Goodyears, it was the only reason I went with the Michelins. It's too bad buying tires isn't like buying car stereos where you can go to a few stores and listen to every possible combination. I would have loved to try the Goodyears since they have a great rep and look so damn cool. (The PS2s are boring looks wise...)

Jay

Very sexy pictures. With the exception of dammage incurred when I bounced my Saturn off of a guardrail at 70mph. I have had no problems with the SSR Comps I've had for 3 years on my STS class SC2.

Martin Luther - "Who loves not women, wine and song remains a fool his whole life long."

EL4NFZT7

Speed Star Co., Ltd is the entity that declared bankruptcy. They offically closed 1/26/05.

http://www.nikkei.co.jp/news/sangyo/20050127AT1D2700B27012005.html

"The speeder and the affiliate applying self bankruptcy

The speeder of aluminum wheel production and sale for the automobile (Osaka prefecture Yao city, President Masanobu Hamada) with, speeder sale of the affiliate (Osaka city, President Nobuko Hamada) on the 27th, self bankruptcy was applied to the Osaka district court. As for debt sum total at both total 67 hundred million Yen. As for the speeder deteriorates the achievement with such as competition intensification of the overseas product. Influence and, applied self bankruptcy to also speeder sale of the dealership. (13:01)"

Wow, I guess I just got in under the wire. What a bummer. Hopefully someone will buy the assets and continue to produce the wheels. I don't know how Japanese bankruptcy works, but if it's the equivalent of a Chapter 11 filing in the US, maybe SSR will renegotiate their debt and emerge from it a viable entity.

Wow, I guess I just got in under the wire. What a bummer. Hopefully someone will buy the assets and continue to produce the wheels. I don't know how Japanese bankruptcy works, but if it's the equivalent of a Chapter 11 filing in the US, maybe SSR will renegotiate their debt and emerge from it a viable entity.

From the translation I did, it sounds more like Ch. 7 to me. That's not good.

Archived