LegacyGT.com

05 Legacy 2.5 GT Limited or 05 Ford Mustang GT

I will be making my new car purchase before the end of the month and these are my 2 Finalist's.Which will it be, any thought's and opinion's and yes one's a coupe the other's a sedan.Yes one's rear wheel drive and one is all-wheel drive.The Mustang is about 350lbs heavier.I will of course make a few point's I do not necessarily want or need a 4-door car but it would have it's advantages over a coupe.Both are first year redesigned and all-new car's which is somewhat scary because of the amount of problem's generally associated with new design's.I am guessing the Ford would be cheaper to maintain but would cost more in insurance.And yes you really cant compare the 2 car's because they are so different.And I am sure I will get hammered for comparing the 2.So what do you think out there in LegacyGT land.Right now I am about 60/40 for purchasing the 05 Legacy 2.5GT Limited with the 5-Speed Auto.Also I know I can get a better deal on the Leggy than the Mustang GT.Thank's for the input.

TurboMike04

Guest *Jedimaster*
The Muskrat is one of the better performance deals out there. But it's a Ford, a domestic and won't last very long. Get the LGT.

i think this is really one of those things where the cars are just so different they are impossible to compare. It really comes down to which would you rather drive everyday. The subaru is a 100 times more practical, however the mustang will probably be more fun to drive. (although, with a little investment - you could really boost the LGT with an accessport and some supsension work)

personally, I'd take the LGT over the 'stang in a heartbeat. It has the practicality, AWD, and cost advantage. And with some money - probably performance advantage. ( I can't coment on the insurance - becuase the LGT is not cheap to insure - 50 dollars more a month than the other sedans i compared it with.. ie: Altima3.5se, TSX, mazda6....)

I find Subarus to be cheaper than most American cars to maintain and not just because they break less - labor charges are cheaper as the jobs are easier and the parts are usually very reasonable (though with anything it depends which parts, but either way they're cheaper than some other Japanese marques as well). If you plan on keeping the car for over ten years and 200k there's only one real answer here. The only thing besides brakes, struts, and other basic maintainence items I replaced (and infrequently at that) before 100k was the transmission at 180k (too many J-turns). After 200k I had to replace the ball joints, temp sensor, and knock sensor. The alternator made it until 250k. Still with the original starter, wheel bearings, ECU, whatever. I swapped a turbo block in at 247k. If you're a normal person and don't keep cars so long and are relatively easy on them either car should be fine

Steve

my old for mustang was one of the most reliable vehicles I've ever owned. I drove it to the 130's miles before it went to another family member and it had over 300k miles on it when he finally sold, and some kid was driving it after that. It was way more reliable than any of the foreign vehicles I've owned.

The mustang's only downside I can think of is possible higher insurance (besides convenience things like 2 vs 4dr etc)

Hah - my 97 Cobra convert had all sorts of problems - at 32k miles. Fan got stuck on all the time - even with the key out of the ignition, AC broke 2 times, seat belt broke.... Lots of other random things... Ill never buy american again!

Jeff

I never liked mustangs, but the new ones power tempted me so I checked it out before going to subaru. They did a nice job on the redesign, it needs huge rims and tires thos IMHO. The sticker price is ok but with a few wanted options the price climbs pretty high and the pricks at ford arent willing to touch the price. The solid rear axle is a joke unless all your doing is 1/4 miles. The car does look good, the exhaust is awesome and it is fast.

Then I went to drive the WRX, nothing superspecial, then I drove the LGT, and I was immediately taken, almost as fast as the mustang, great lowend grunt, much nicer inside than the mustang, awd great for winter unlike the mustang. The only thing is its more expensive, so I got a 7k km demo w/ a good reduction and love the LGT...

anyways LGT gets my vote, unless it never snows where you live :)

edit: ahh texas, hmm hard choice...

Go with the Mustang IF you enjoy a car that is easy and inexpensive to mod for track events. Ford supports on-track driving events around the country through the http://www.SVTOA.com site and welcomes all Ford-powered cars. There are also a zillion Mustang-based tuners and track-oriented clubs. Or, buy the LGT for everyday and an inexpensive used Mustang/Cobra that someone else made track-ready. Choose the right tool for the job and your interests.

JC, Chicagoland bassist & opentracker

2005 LGT 5MT Ltd wagon

2005 LGT 5MT Ltd sedan

Well you said, "unless all you're doing are 1/4 miles", but I won't give ya a hard time. ;) Snow tires work great on RWD cars. :D

Yeah I know Im a fool, whatever. I had heard from a bunch of ppl that mustangs were trouble in the winter, snows or not, up here in Canada winter is pretty serious and while im sure a mustang w/ snows will survive it wont be as easy as a good awd subaru...

This is the same comparison I would be doing if I were car shopping. Both cars are great buys and offer a lot of performance & style for the buck.

I am a little wary of buying the '05 Stang though. This is its first year and there are some problems with them. A lot of people have trouble with the gas tank. Apparently sometimes when you fill up the tank some gas splashes back out of the tank. And I'm sure there are other problems where that came from, but this is the kind of thing that should be worked out in next year's model.

Other than that it's a battle of practical & sporty grand touring vs. raw horsepower & lots of fun. I have owned a Mustang before and they are definitely a lot of fun. And the new model has peaked my interest, no doubt about that. Good luck with your decision.

BTW, I currently don't own either the LGT or '05 Stang, but I'm a member of this site, www.StangNet.com and http://forums.bradbarnett.net/. There's plenty to learn about both cars on all these forums.

Guest *Jedimaster*
wait a few months before Ford issues a recall for 500,000 mustangs. It's a Ford thing you know. ;)

Yeah, I remember that with the older Cobra engines.

I wouldn't knock Ford quality like others here do, I've seen much much worse from VW (Audi) and Mitsubishi. So don't get caught in the import = better quality hype. Besides it's the first year afer a major redesign, so I'd expect at least a few issues.

Having said that I've owned a stang with the modular 4.6, and while it wasn't bad, it's definately not all I thought it would be. (I'm a bigger fan of Ford's old 5.0 or their 5.4 engines).

In all honesty I think that it's hard to compare the two vehicles because their not even in the same class. The stang is a rwd performance coupe, who's handling has greatly improved over the model's previous design. The LGT is a midrange awd lux sedan, with good handling and a nice performance engine.

Also, if you're really looking to mod your vehicle the mod market for the stang is huge in comparison to the mod market for all Sabaru vehicles.

If you want a drag car, then I'd say the stang is a better choice. If you want a track or autox car then go for the LGT(or STI).

mustang is an overpriced peice of junk....sure it puts out a lot of hp, but its extremely cheap quality and does not ride near as nicely as the legacy gt. i went on test drives in both cars 2 weeks ago on the same day back to back and the legacy gt was 10x the car that the mustang gt was. if i never got into the mustang gt, i might have been sold on the looks alone.

get the turbo legacy gt w/ a stick. it's more classy, less on insurance, and the new stang is considered by most as ugly.... lol.

this coming from someone who has a turbo'ed firehawk... and now a new legacy gt. :)

2012 Forester XT. Stage 2+

Retired from Racing. I used to build FMIC and more.

Archived