LegacyGT.com

H6 STi????

Yeah that is Steve Perrin's personal project car. I think they wound up dynoing 500+ awhp which is pretty ridiculous. Here is a link to the photos on perrin's web site : http://www.perrinperformance.com/galleries/show/12

and if you do a search, you may be able to find an article on the car. I think perrin had a nice article that basically took the car from stock to 6-cylinder beast, explaining every step of the way.

Yeah that is Steve Perrin's personal project car. I think they wound up dynoing 500+ awhp which is pretty ridiculous. Here is a link to the photos on perrin's web site : http://www.perrinperformance.com/galleries/show/12

and if you do a search, you may be able to find an article on the car. I think perrin had a nice article that basically took the car from stock to 6-cylinder beast, explaining every step of the way.

It was sold to a private party in Southern California, I saw it yesterday sitting at HB Speed. But the OP posted a vid of a Legacy!

i remember that perrin car....they called it the 911 turbo beater.

this actually came up in my conversation with dave at metric....he told me the car broke down and thats why we haven't heard about it in a while.

i believe they took the H6 out of a tribeca and twin turbo charged it.

i remember that perrin car....they called it the 911 turbo beater.

this actually came up in my conversation with dave at metric....he told me the car broke down and thats why we haven't heard about it in a while.

i believe they took the H6 out of a tribeca and twin turbo charged it.

Then they should have tried for far more than 500awhp, i know it would have a better power band and drivability than a 500awhp 4cylinder but a twin turbo h6 has alot more potential than 500awhp

The regular H6 can't make those levels of power safely or reliably from what I've heard. The H6 block is only about 6inches longer than the H4 block, which should give you an idea of the difference between cylinder walls thickness. Same reason apparently that car didn't make huge power, it was never pushed due to unreliability and fears of going kaboom despite a fairly built bottom end.

This is a bit of hearsay mind you, and off Perrin's own blog. if someone has more accurate info on how the car ran, feel free to correct me.

Also, in regards to the OP, if you read down in that thread I sort of think this guy is full of sh*t. He drops pearls of wisdom like these:

"Well mine is modified to outrun a BMW E46 M3 and embarrass a stock E92 M3 (that should give you a rough idea of the 0-160Km/h). Its dressed as a H6 STI while maintaining its modesty and with only low pressure turbo tuning it'll pump out 250Kw at the wheels. Comparing it to a WRX didn't even cross my mind and frankly in my opinion they are worlds apart. With the 3.0R you are getting a far superior discerning driving experience." You mean... slower experience?

"Oh yeah some expert advice - only use STI springs - do not lower your car with other after market springs - it totally screws up the ride and handling of this chasis - we've tried with a couple of our other cars."

Rrrrrrriiiiight *cough* dumbass *cough*

Take a look at the front of his 'turbo' car at the end. I see no FMIC hiding in that front end. Pretty sure anyone who ACTUALLY did this would want to show off some pics of their engine. Car doesn't really look that fast when it pulls away either.

If I'm wrong, awesome because that'd be a cool project. If I'm right, he's a dumbass running his mouth.

Guest heightsgtltd

"and when you open up that Porsche valve gearing with a good exhaust system and subtle turbo whine the sound is sooooo exotic its intoxicating"

:confused:

I seen it in person, looked slow!!! :lol:

yeah.... it hasn't moved much in awhile. Throttle control on the hydra no workie. I don't remember if we're going to fix it or just replace the system with AEM. And it's a legacy EZ30R, not a tribeca motor.

The regular H6 can't make those levels of power safely or reliably from what I've heard. The H6 block is only about 6inches longer than the H4 block, which should give you an idea of the difference between cylinder walls thickness. Same reason apparently that car didn't make huge power, it was never pushed due to unreliability and fears of going kaboom despite a fairly built bottom end.

This is a bit of hearsay mind you, and off Perrin's own blog. if someone has more accurate info on how the car ran, feel free to correct me.

Also, in regards to the OP, if you read down in that thread I sort of think this guy is full of sh*t. He drops pearls of wisdom like these:

"Well mine is modified to outrun a BMW E46 M3 and embarrass a stock E92 M3 (that should give you a rough idea of the 0-160Km/h). Its dressed as a H6 STI while maintaining its modesty and with only low pressure turbo tuning it'll pump out 250Kw at the wheels. Comparing it to a WRX didn't even cross my mind and frankly in my opinion they are worlds apart. With the 3.0R you are getting a far superior discerning driving experience." You mean... slower experience?

"Oh yeah some expert advice - only use STI springs - do not lower your car with other after market springs - it totally screws up the ride and handling of this chasis - we've tried with a couple of our other cars."

Rrrrrrriiiiight *cough* dumbass *cough*

Take a look at the front of his 'turbo' car at the end. I see no FMIC hiding in that front end. Pretty sure anyone who ACTUALLY did this would want to show off some pics of their engine. Car doesn't really look that fast when it pulls away either.

If I'm wrong, awesome because that'd be a cool project. If I'm right, he's a dumbass running his mouth.

Thats fine and all, but if you gonna do a totally custom h6 twin turbo why not shell out the extra 2-3 grand for a custom block not a stock one. I mena he probably has 20-30ki inot that setup whats another 2 to be able to have a complete 700-800whp engine.

Because... I'm betting the car ISN'T a turbo conversion to begin with, just judging by some of the informed comments he's made below the video. Anyways if Subaru charges about $2-2.5K for a EZ30R shortblock, any 'custom' block is going to be a hell of a lot more than 2 or 3k. You'd have to get someone to design the thing, cast it (insanely expensive for a small run of high quality) and build it. My workplace does a lot of work with Magna and the costs on prototyping something are reeeeeeeeediculous. Even then you're about as safe as you are with an EZ30 since you dont know what your unproven design will REALLY do after all that time/effort and it'd be difficult to replicate a quality casting process. It's cheaper to use stock blocks in a disposable manner I imagine - if you HAD to build a 3.0L that is.

Im just saying that they have better than stock 2.5liter blocks so why couldnt they come up with a h6. Its pointless to build an h6 if its even less reliable than a 2.5liter 500whp setup. Yeah its cool, but most other 6 cylinders turbo cars are shooting for 600-800whp with a good power band, some go for 1400whp with no power band but i would consider those a bad setup.

some go for 1400whp with no power band but i would consider those a bad setup.

talkin bout dyno queens eh?

honestly the setup looks badass, but if theres a great sacrifice in reliability and whatnot in doing so, the 2.5 4 has plenty of capabilities.

Its still a unique project.. this kind of thing deserves applause and interest either way..

"The penalty good men pay for indifference to public affairs is to be ruled by evil men." - Plato

Guest heightsgtltd

Yeah because you definitely need more than 550 WHP :lol: :lol:

Have you read the reviews of the CTS-V with 550 at the crank? Why do you need more?

Archived