LegacyGT.com

Using The Ebay/VAG-COM Cable To Datalog

qikslvr

• Replies 520
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

JMLegacy, check here regarding your logging issue. Try splicing in a capacitor.

http://legacygt.com/forums/showthread.php/cannot-log-wot-pulls-202559.html?p=4561779

Ok

they say put a cap bridge across pins 5 and 7. Would it be easier to do this to the cable instead of the connection on the car? I'm not sure if i can access behind the connector

http://www.ls1tech.com/forums/attachments/conversions-hybrids/30711-who-has-modified-their-own-ls1-harness-obd-ii_pinout.jpg

• 1 month later...

hi all,

is there any soft which will allow me to read out ECU errors? not the ECU itself :)

i have this cable and it works fine for logging and flash readout. but lately i have CEL blinking and wanted to find out what that is...

• 1 month later...

Ok. need help here.

I finally got the right cag com cable FT232BL but now i have problem connecting it to ecuFlash or Romraider... all there is over 2005 LGT-s and so on.

also do i work with car engine started or just the key in ON possition is fine>>??

and what is that green connector i read about on this forum i have no idea where it is and if i need it.

for starters all i want to do is LOG and see if theres something happening with the car.

I have 05 Subaru legacy JDM 3.0 automatic... at the Ecu flash logging window i dont even know which one to select as my car.

also as i understand i have to match the software version with other driver versions but when i downloaded all the latest ones for EcuFlash and ROMraider with all its definitions RomR didnt seem to connect in logging section and with Ecuflash it gave out an error but under the speedometer of the car it wrote Er oH or something... i think im close but why did it give out the error.....

learning view gave this error ECU ID of 2F0A367106 is not supported

there are no videos no info, nothing for my JDM subaru:(((

need The Helppp

what am i doing wrong?:((

SOo.... i used CDM 2.08.30 WHQL Certified driver to get the laptop connect to this VAG cable....

then i installed Ecuflash (ecuflash_setup129a) 29a... i used latest

ECUFLASH METRIC units SUBARU ECU definitions 0.8.3.1b 10-07-09

i also installed RomRaider 0.5.7RC2-windows... latest version... with latest ROMRAIDER METRIC units ECU definitions 0.8.3.1b 10-07-09

what else can do... here is a screenshot of where i am stuck in romraider and ecuflash.... Romraider screen is stuck at CONNECTING... and thats it ECUFlash just is unable to connect to the interface or whatever

http://i60.tinypic.com/oa96iq.jpg

maybe i am doing the connection part wrong?... i connect the cable to car and laptop then i run ECU or RR and start the car or hit it in ON possition.

Try this:

http://legacygt.com/forums/showpost.php?p=3809269&postcount=14

Hmmmm... wtf....

try this:

1) disconnect cable from laptop

2) open a command console

3) type: "set devmgr_show_nonpresent_devices=1"

4) type: "start devmgmt.msc"

5) in device manager, go to view->show hidden devices

6) delete ALL instances of the openport/tactrix/vagcom/whatever you want to call them drivers. you'll note that some of them are greyed out. this means that the device is not connected currently, but it shows that the software is install.

this is the way to clear out the old software. after doing all of the above, reboot.

THEN reconnect your cable, and install the drivers i gave you. hopefully that will work....?

You should see a bunch listed under Ports. Don't worry if you're not sure which is the cable and you're worried about deleting some of your ports if you have other devices. It should redetect them for the most part.

If you're bored, you may as well go through your device manager and delete any other crap in there that you don't need anymore either.

Then reinstall using these drivers:

http://www.crimetank.com/misc/CDM20602.zip

Use the newest version of ECUFlash, not 1.29a. (that's old).

Try this

Then reinstall using these drivers:

http://www.crimetank.com/misc/CDM20602.zip

i removed everything in Ports now there is only COM3 but in properties it shows its still 2.8 version of the driver you gave me 2.6 but i can not install it. every time i uninstall the driver it still installs the same one. and RR still is stuck at "connecting"

LV doesnt work ECU ID of 2F0A367106 not found in definitions

[19:42:49.8125000] COM3 closed

Remove everything INCLUDING that port while your cable is disconnected. Restart. Unzip that file into a folder. Connect the cable. When it asks, tell it to search the location you unzipped it to.

Remove everything INCLUDING that port while your cable is disconnected. Restart. Unzip that file into a folder. Connect the cable. When it asks, tell it to search the location you unzipped it to.

I did remove while cable was out, still the same thing happens :D it installs the driver by itself doesnt ask me anything, i hate xp. ill try to figure out something...

Did you try and do an "udpate driver" on it?

Also

LV doesnt work ECU ID of 2F0A367106 not found in definitions

[19:42:49.8125000] COM3 closed

Means that LV is communicating fine but your ECU isn't supported.

You have the latest version of LV? That one in the link above isn't the latest. check the RR site for a newer beta. Does RR connect now?

FINALLY!!

IT WORKED...

removed everything and installed latest RR, VagCable driver, some weird JAVA updates SE-JRE, and all the definitions for logger.

connected cable to both sides, started the engine, started Romraider logger and voila! :spin: :spin: :spin: thank you guys very much!

http://s10.postimg.org/hxtgtszsp/untitled.jpg

list of files is all what i used for getting it to work

dont know if ECUFlash and flashing is working, gonna check it later.

and were is latest Learningview? i cant find anything on RR forum.

now another question came to my mind...

what do i do with all this numbers flashing? :D meaning how do i actually log and see if anything's wrong with my car.

romraider only works with 32 bit java - in their troubleshooting guide, it clearly states to remove all versions of java first before installing, then install latest java 32 bit and proceed.

I think LV 1.0 RC3 is latest here http://www.romraider.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=32&t=7397

You are logging - it says so in your screenshot. check for a CSV file that its created and open that in Excel. to make it "safer" to start/stop logging (eg: not clicking on a notebook while driving) hit the demister button. that'll kick it into action. otherwise, for a realtime visual view, click the Graphs tab at the bottom.

EDIT: oh, sorry iNVAR didn't see your post above.

ok, i dont think LV is working i got that new one you linked me... it shows my car as 05 legacy outback:| and as i know there must be numbers and numbers in those blocks...

i drove around a bit nothing changed.

http://s13.postimg.org/nbkaxd0yv/Learning_View_SS_D2_ZU002_A_2014_03_13_21_06_15.jpg

then i installed latest ecuflash and when i selected one of the LGT cars in the list i hit OK and suddenly engine went off... gauges on the dash froze, scared me a lot :D didnt go near ecuflash since

when RR logs what am i suposed to do with that xl file? :confused:

Your LV looks like its working fine, if it wasn't you wouldn't get any data at all. Zeros are good. Your IAM should be 1.0 so you need to sort that out first. Your car is a 3L non turbo outback?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Your LV looks like its working fine, if it wasn't you wouldn't get any data at all. Zeros are good. Your IAM should be 1.0 so you need to sort that out first. Your car is a 3L non turbo outback?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

IAM should be 1.0 whats that? what must i do :spin:

my car is 2004 JDM legacy B4 sedan AT 3.0 H6 ..... its like 2005 US legacy :spin:

IAM should be 1.0 whats that?

Ignition Advance Multiplier. Its a generic timing advance for the engine - timing gets pulled if problems are detected,... why? To save your engine from going bang bang.

what must i do
You must search these forums young Jedi... I'll give you a clue.

Knock knock.

Who's there?

Knock

Knock Who?

Knock is likely causing low IAM

Start by using a better quality and higher octane fuel (less important for NA, but a good start)

Further information on IAM, FLKC, FBKC and timing in general for you to read here...

http://www.romraider.com/forum/topic1840.html

Just be aware ECU's in our gen cars IAM goes up to 1.0 (not 16 with a 16 bit ECU)

aaah if some of that made sense for me jedi chimera or that thread :D ...

i do use the best fuel we have here 98 super something something...

googled some stuff... and what i understood was that car has knock sensor that can be triggered by something rattling in the car or whatever and if it is not it than engine is going boom boom

i did hear knocking other day while driving. plastic covers were missing pins under the car maybe thats the cause. fixed it and ill log again tomorrow.

one thing tho i want to know ... when i start engine then run LV and hit connect i get some data out right... so is the software now connected and if i drive around aggressively ill see some changes?

you do need some special education to understand all this

:spin::spin::spin::spin: im gonna study now and find some starter page like wtf is logging and etc.

EDIT: few month ago subaru shop logged my car and they told me SPARK plugs need to be changed... why does LV not show me that?

So yes, knock can be real knock, or it can be false knock. But the ECU always err's on the safe side. IAM is a generic knock

when i start engine then run LV and hit connect i get some data out right... so is the software now connected and if i drive around aggressively ill see some changes?

No. LV is a "point in time" snapshot. The fine learning knock correction or "FLKC" (figures in the large table in LV) show how much knock the ECU is learning at various engine load / rpm's via the knock sensor. The IAM (top right in LV) as mentioned before is a "generic" timing advance - if the ECU sees FLKC changing in alot of cells, then IAM will be lowered (eg: timing is pulled) Conversely, when IAM changes, then all FLKC values are cleared so it can monitor knock again (and so on - so IAM can get lower and lower if knock is real bad). If the engine is running on good octane fuel with a good tune, then IAM should sit at and stay at 1.0. So yes the FLKC values do change (in that they are "learn't") but you would need to click 'Connect' each time to refresh the LV. You need to run RomRaider instead and log output of the various parameters. LV is just a helpful tool to get a real quick overview of the general state of health. It by no means covers everything.

you do need some special education to understand all this

unfortunately yes. i've still got a crap load to learn myself.

EDIT: few month ago subaru shop logged my car and they told me SPARK plugs need to be changed... why does LV not show me that?

Because there is absolutely no sensor that can categorically say "problem ABC is caused by XYZ and XYZ alone" (the sensor can tell the ECU and you'll get a CEL, but the point is the cause of that problem could be due to a number of areas) hence why we log to determine this, there are just so many variables involved (add a turbo, and the number of variables increase exponentially!)

logging didnt help i dont understand when i try to select parameters in RR its completely different to what people write about logging those knocks. knock sum, IAM an so on my RR does not have it.

how am i supposed to log and figure out why IAM is at 0.64 if i cant log this knocks or whatever. what should i log then?