LegacyGT.com

Cruise Control studder

I have had this Issue since I have owned the car, although its not really a big deal I was wondering if anyone else was experiencing this. Most of the time when I am around 50-60 in 5th gear with the cruise control engaged, every once in a while (not even every time I drive the car) the car will hesitate for a second and then keep going. It isn't a very rough hesitation, but you can feel it, almost like tapping the brakes.

Jon, maybe the road has a slight down grade and the cruise is cutting just a second to maintain correct speed?

I notice that when i reach the bottom of a hill and start the next upward slope I can feel the cruise "kick in" again. Not violently or anything but it is noticeable when it starts to open the throttle to maintain speed.

Kansan I've only noticed that hard jump if I bump the control lever up a couple times and then hold it up. I think it gets confused between increasing by ~1mph several times and then going straight acceleration. :p

I get this same feeling, never had it in cruise though, only in 5th when I'm just cruisin along. I never thought much of it other than a change in the road grade and the throttle was compensating. But I have noticed it and wondered why the hell it does it.

Mine is manual, in 5th, it does it no matter what the grade is. It goes immediately upon holding the cruise switch, then bogs down a second later, then comes on with a fury.

The gas "pedal" is electronic and the cruise control "lever/switch" is too, so it's more a function of the electronic throttle interface with the cruise control IMO on a turbo motor.

The bogging is likely just the typical Subaru throttle response (turbo lag) to WOT, which is what you're doing when you hold the hold the cruise switch in the accelerate position.

The stumble while in cruise, not sure how to troubleshoot that. It could be any number of variables, i.e., gasoline, low oil (which affects valve timing), intermittent ignition coil issue, fouled injector, etc. But if it does it consistently, seems like something that should should up with a Subaru Select Monitor check or even with a dealer tech drive.

- Pro amore Dei et patriam et populum -

Archived