LegacyGT.com

Legacy 3.0R Tuning Parts

Hi all,

I want to tune my '04 Legacy 3.0R 5EAT using a Tactrix cable and the software ECUFlash and RomRaider. I've emailed XRT but their prices seem a little ridiculous. I'm wondering if anyone has every tried tuning their car themselves? I'm willing to learn and tweak and generally get to know the software and how the cars performance is altered with each of the settings so I can tweak it to exactly how I want it. Has anyone ever tried doing this themselves? Is it difficult?

Cheers,

Jay

1. What exactly is "a little ridiculous"?

2. What would you expect a good tune to cost?

3. What are you trying to accomplish with the vehicle?

4. What kind of prior tuning experience do you have?

anything less than $700 is a deal for tuning a car with such a narrow target audience, IMO (I have no idea what you mean by "a little ridiculous", and have no idea what they could have quoted you, btw). I would not risk tuning myself and happily pay the best tuner I can find to get the job done right and running safely.

Hi all,

I want to tune my '04 Legacy 3.0R 5EAT using a Tactrix cable and the software ECUFlash and RomRaider. I've emailed XRT but their prices seem a little ridiculous. I'm wondering if anyone has every tried tuning their car themselves? I'm willing to learn and tweak and generally get to know the software and how the cars performance is altered with each of the settings so I can tweak it to exactly how I want it. Has anyone ever tried doing this themselves? Is it difficult?

Cheers,

Jay

1st, I would love to have an '04 with 5EAT, and a 3.0 H6. That's a rare car.

2nd, I would like to provide some perspective to the above statement. No, XRT prices are not the same as they were over 2 years ago and there were "xmas specials". However, XRT is using it's standard pricing and it has been similar for as long as I have been working with XRT. Outside of those above mentioned specials, the cost have remained consistent.

I have been working for over 2 years...a good bit over. After my 1st round with XRT,early on...I checked into some other local tuning options here in Denver. There are several very well known tuners here. I won't name, names or shops. However, I will say this...the XRT pricing structure is very reasonable. The top of the line local guys here, are ll over a $1000 for around a Stage1-2. You get 2-3 Maps and dyno run. AND YOUR CAR HAS TO BE HEALTHY. Or pay them to do so. That's ridiculous, or at least what I thought at the time. I spend 2 more major rounds of tuning with XRT and I have a final fueling round for when I re-install my new Radium Engineering fuel rail and gutted TGVs. As you can see, I like my relationship with Ed.

And...if you get into bed with Ed, you will see...it's pretty intimate. It hard to let go of, and he doesn't every leave you hanging. In-fact, most times it's a challenge to keep up with him when you are actively tuning. When we are not actively tuning, at least with me...we are still actively communication. And if something comes up, he thinks will benefit you...he's back in touch and the wallet isn't getting hit.

I can't claim that everyone does/or will have the same experience and relationship that I do. I had lots of software, hardware and tech problems...plus I am a 47 year old..."punk ricer". This DBW and 000s and 111s driving the car is sorcery as far as I am concerned.

Which brings me to the DIY tuner comment. I would approach tuning like mountaineering. Buy "freedom of the hills" and get educated, that will take some time. Then do a dry run expedition...that will take $, planning and time. Then climb Mount Hood...and hopefully not fail.

To casually think that tuning these cars is like..."oh...this is easy, you just do this...."

"Just Add fuel to it...."

Then all you really get is a cheap chip...tricking you car into rich. AND what of the 5EAT? That I where XRT shine like a diamond. My 5EAT is my favorite part of my car. I have said that same statement over and over. And my car some very fancy bits.

I don't post here very often...this place is too busy for my old *ss. I post a good bit over here...

http://www.subaruoutback.org/forums/109-gen-3-2005-2009/283593-frankenwagon-iv-kbpi-car-show-xii-3x-tdck-30.html#post3967234

Feel free to browse my latest XRT folly.

CKE SSP product information and sales : chris.ckessp@gmail.com

Hi all,

Cheers,

Jay

Amateurs learning and tweaking before they know what they are doing is what grenades motors. You don't send a fishmonger to do surgery.

Archived