LegacyGT.com

LGT or RX8?

Well Im going to post this here and on rx8club.com but.... I drove the 8 yesterday and it really is a fantastic car. The speed is alright - not super powerful, but the handling is pretty impressive and stable.

Things I liked:

Handling

Braking

Style

Ergonomics

Coupe with 4 seats and 4 doors

Shifter

6 gears

50/50 balance

Things I did not like:

Plastics felt a bit cheap

Vinyl in center of seats is really cheap feeling

Small windows

High door sills

Small mirrors - the rear view on the windshield is big but actually blocks forward view a bit.

Lack of TQ

Anyone else have some experience with this car?

Looking for all opinions as I am now sort of considering either the LGT or the RX8 - yes I know theyre both 2 different cars. From what Ive read the 8 is fine in the snow with snow tires on it. Just trying to make up my mind!!!

Jeff

oh should post my likes and dislikes about the LGT

Heres what I liked about the Legacy GT:

AWD (and a system that is NOT FWD biased for a change)

Gobs of TQ and HP

Sleeper

Many luxo items

Gear box felt smooth

Guages are great looking

Sunroof

BC of turbo it has great cheap ways to get lots more power

Heres what I dislike about hte Legacy GT:

Sedan (not sure if Im ready to give up the coupe life)

No steering wheel radio controls

Some plastics feel cheap

Rear end DOES remind me a bit of a camry

only 5mt no 6mt

Stock all season tires are miserable

With stock US suspension the suspension leaves a bit to be desired

As background I am from Chicago and I am finishing up school in May in Boulder CO. I plan to stay here a few years before going back to Chicago - so either way winters are a factor. I dont mind buying new snow tires at all. In fact on anything besides a truck I prefer it. Before I stupidly boght my Zr2 Blazer I owned 2 mk3 supra Ts (blew em sky high too!) and eclipse GSX (modded the hell out of the suspension), a 97 Cobra convertible - a blast when I was still going to school at Purdue - but miserable even with snow tires on it in the winter... Really should have kept the Cobra but stupid me thought Id NEED an SUV in CO... oops...

At any rate Im really lookin for opinions here! Anyone driven both?

Jeff

5mt vs. 6mt is a non-issue in the Legacy, because of the fat torque band. I suppose you could put in an additional overdrive gear, but it would only be really useful over 75. The RX-8 needs the sixth cog because of its peaky, low-torque nature. Personally I think the 8 is fabulous: well-balanced, smooth, and practical, yet the Renesis and chassis make you feel like a hero. It's a perfect daily sports car. However I think you forgot a few issues:

Rotaries do drink some oil. It isn't an issue unless you just think they shouldn't. It's only about a quart per 3,000 miles or so, and it's designed that way, but some people just think that's excessive. Terrible, and I repeat TERRIBLE gas mileage. Be prepared for 13-18 mpg, especially if you drive aggressively (and why wouldn't you in this car?).

Being that you live (and go to school) in some pretty cold and snowy areas, I would most likely go with the GT. Snow tires can work wonders, and a 2wd car + snow tires is about equal to a Subie with all-seasons, except on hills. But a Subie with snow tires is even better, so it gives you the most flexibility. If you're caught out in an unexpected snowstorm with your all-seasons, you're screwed in the RX-8, but you'll probably be just fine in the GT.

Kage: Yea I should have put in fuel economy there.... My truck gets around 12 and I hate that. I also drive 30-60miles one wya for work right now... So it becomes a factor for sure. Im fine with drinking oil - I grew up working on english cars ;) My dads DD is an alfa spider and that thing has like a 9qt oil pan on a 2.0 engine! Still drinks a bit of oil every 3k miles - you get used to it :)

Jeff

Well Im going to post this here and on rx8club.com but.... I drove the 8 yesterday and it really is a fantastic car. The speed is alright - not super powerful, but the handling is pretty impressive and stable.

Things we didn't like about the RX-8: WAY TOO FLIPPIN' SMALL!

I'm 6'1", my wife is 5'9". She got super claustrophobic - sitting in the FRONT seat. I banged my head on the side and top.

GORGEOUS car. Designed for short people (IMHO).

HV

Are there into the Z flash yet? The gas mileage with the rx-8 will make your chevy seemed like an Echo! :D

I believe oil checks and top off are routine. however unlike most cars, checking oil with the rx-8 is a PITA.

Since u're in boulder CO, i reckon it's up by the mountains therefore elevation will play against any N/A car much more with a low-torque car like the rx-8.

If u're into modding (which from the looks like it, u are), then the GT is much easier to play with. RX-8 power mods are very limited and their FI aftermarket products are very very limited with very very limited gains.

But alas, they do look cooler than the GT which is more of a mature/sleeper theme. The exterior is subjective. IIRC, there's someone here who owns an rx-8 and LGT. maybe he can chime in.

ultimately it is your choice and I suggest u test drive those two cars up the wazoo and decide which one gave you the highest grin factor.

Its actually hard to test drive rx8s here. I got lucky yesterday bc the sales guy had only been there 6 days so he gave me the keys to a white GT and said go - by myself :) Loved the quick lane changes hehe On ramp that said 30 at 65 was nice too. Then when I got back the more sr sales guy came out and said no more driving - as I wanted one more run bc I had found a much better seating position... Car had 12miles on it...

Jeff

It's funny your looking a two totally different cars. Also it's funny because the day I drove my Legacy GT wagon home my neighbor was pulling into his driveway in a RX-8 both silver. We talk to each other about everyother day and it's funny neither one of us said we were getting a new car. -my wife and I had to order our wagon and we were waiting and his transmission in his Accord was bad- But anyways I took him for a drive in the Legacy GT and he took me for a ride in the RX-8 and we were both blown away. He thought oh it's a Subaru and a wagon it can't be that fast and could'nt believe how fast and how good the car drove. As far as what I thought about the RX-8 I thought it would be ALOT faster and to be honest I thought the car was a pile! My sister used to have a newer RX-7 years ago and I thought that car was much nicer -it was the last body style before they went to the RX-8 style. Plus the whole rear door thing what the hell is it a Saturn or a Mazda? Wierd. Also I thought the Mazda was about $3,000. more if I'm not mistaken. Hmmm an all-wheel drive wagon or a two-wheel drive coupe? Please :lol:

If you're looking in the RX-8 price range, have you considered the Impreza STi? Obviously material quality is an issue for you, so I would assume that's what crossed it off your list. If so, DRIVE it. You may find yourself changing your priorities.

The RX-8 does feel really slow as far as acceleration goes. But turn the steering wheel in the twisties and do your damndest not so smile. I dare you. ;) The steering is telepathic and the car just loves to turn. Very communicative. I love everything about it except the size (I'm 6-1 and my 5-1 wife felt it was too small too... plus I need a wagon for the kids and dog), and the power. I absolutely love everything else about the 8.

Flatirons Subaru will NOT let me drive an STi. I have not driven one yet. Id LOVE to drive one. Only thing is the insurance will be miserable (Im 23), and the boy racer thing is beyong me at this point. Howver Im still one at heart ;) My eclipse was bone chatteringly stiff - and I enjoyed it until I hit big potholes lol..

Jeff

Rotaries are great (even if the RX-8 badly needs a turbo), RX-8 looks awesome, and handles prob better than anything else out there on the track. That said, LGt you got lux and power to spare (and you wont be pissed after they come out with a turbo RX-8 or RX-7 next year).

Id vote for the LGT unless the looks of the RX-8 or its handling are your main concerns

Flatirons Subaru will NOT let me drive an STi. I have not driven one yet. Id LOVE to drive one. Only thing is the insurance will be miserable (Im 23), and the boy racer thing is beyong me at this point. Howver Im still one at heart ;) My eclipse was bone chatteringly stiff - and I enjoyed it until I hit big potholes lol..

Jeff

I finally got to drive one (had to drive two hours away to a dealer in PA and then STILL had to talk my way into it). Definitely quick, definitely handles well. Couldn't deal with the flopping spoiler and hoodscoop, high-insurance rates and every ricer in a Civic trying to race (bad enough in the normal WRX we had). LGT is 90% of the performance and 200% of the usefullness.

One thing wrong in your statement tho.. well 2 - the high insurance. My friend went from jetta to a rx8 and his insurance dropped 50 bucks. 1.3L and 4 doors make for a cheaply insured car. Also the spoiler is optional and I would not get the appearance package. Not sure what hood scoop you mean tho... There isnt one I dont think? But I hate the appearance package.

Jeff

.2 cents,

I had a 04 rx-8 6 speed, now I have a05 GT legacy wagon.

I could of bought another rx-8 but decided not to after test driving the leggy.

I got a killer deal on the leggy it is faster than the rx-8 ,an very stealth (no one suspects it could move like it does).

I live in cali so snow is not a problem,but I wouldnt own a rx-8 where weather is seasonal (4 wheel drive over 2 wheel drive ? no question)

Also gas mileage blows in a rx-8 .I averaged 10 -13 mpg. Albiet a sports cars that unacceptable expecially for the horsepower it produces. I did love the high reving motor because I dont mind rowing gears.

I do miss the great driving feel of the rx-8 very fun in the twisties!!!

The rx-8 has great stock brakes god I miss those babys.

Honestly I would get another mazda but it will be in 2006 named rx-7.

When they bring that back I dont care how much gas it goes through i will have her :)

I traded my 8 in on a Legacy GT, mainly because my wife made me, but I'm glad she did. I concur with everyone that the 8's handling was exceptional, it had a great shifter and IMHO is one of the best looking cars I have ever seen. While people will defend the RX8's lack of torque by saying "but you got a 9000 rpm redline", as an everyday driver it's hard to keep the car in it's sweet spot, basically between 5000 and 8500 rpm without alot of shifting. If you are able to keep it there expect about 12 mpg.

There is just not enough "real world" usable torque, some may welcome this type of driving experience but it was kind of wearing on me. The few opportunities I got to rev it to 9000 rpm was exhilliarting and unmatched in any vehicle besides the S2000, but I soon realized that I would rather have the torque a little lower in the rev range.

The legacy is easier to drive in traffic, easier to accelerate and easier to cruise around in, when I was in the 8 I just wanted to rev it up all the time. I like just pressing the gas and going, basically point and shoot. In the 8 it was more like downshift, point and shoot. And I am getting about 5 mpg more in traffic than the 8, I never broke 20 mpg in the 8, traffic or highway.

The 8 is a great car and if I could afford to keep it as an weekend driver or autocrosser, I would have. The 8 is a great 2nd car but as a primary driver I needed something a little less high strung. Unfortunately I dont have the luxury or money to have a "weekend" car, I needed a car that would be a more jack of all trades vehicle. The legacy definitely fits the bill, fast as a sports car, roomy as a family sedan and as unstoppable as a 4x4.

Archived