LegacyGT.com

2005 Subaru Legacy 2.5L Intake Box Help ?!?!?!

First off sorry if I didn't post this in the right section. Secondly, sorry if these questions were asked/answered before (I searched and couldn't find anything useful).

Just wondering what that box thing is on my gf's legacy ??? I was looking to remove the silencer on the after maf hose and replace it with a smoother flowing hose. I noticed there are 2 lines (one on each side of the box) what are they for ? Also Is there a way to bypass that box and just have a hose going right into the tb ???

Thanks for any and all help,

- Dave

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v246/D1A5J/suby012.jpg

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v246/D1A5J/suby013.jpg

• 1 month later...

that box creates an air plenum.

Basically it holds a large quantity of air so that upon sudden acceleration from low rpm and low air intake airflow, you will have a ready quantity available. If you install an full aftermarket intake (not short ram), the box comes out, but if you accelerate quickly from a start (or on a steep hill with a manual) you need to rev the engine a little to create enough airflow otherwise the engine will bog down. I know from experience because I put on in my '98 Impreza L

If you want to simply create a "ricer" sound you can remove the silencers (that thing to the left of the plenum in the first pic, coming off the intake) that are sticking off the pipe and retain the plenum.

that box creates an air plenum.

Basically it holds a large quantity of air so that upon sudden acceleration from low rpm and low air intake airflow, you will have a ready quantity available. If you install an full aftermarket intake (not short ram), the box comes out, but if you accelerate quickly from a start (or on a steep hill with a manual) you need to rev the engine a little to create enough airflow otherwise the engine will bog down. I know from experience because I put on in my '98 Impreza L

If you want to simply create a "ricer" sound you can remove the silencers (that thing to the left of the plenum in the first pic, coming off the intake) that are sticking off the pipe and retain the plenum.

what are you using to plug that hole once u remove the silencer ???

I have never done this, I saw a lot of write ups on Nasioc.com about 5 years ago... as mentioned search the N/A thread on here and I'm sure you can find some info. My guess would be to use some oversized tubing and a couple of hose clamps, but that wouldn't look the best. My suggestion is to get a "short ram" intake, such as an SPT one. You can find them cheap on e-bay, which will effectively do the same thing with a cheap filter. (I'm sure you won't get as good a flow, but you will achieve better flow than stock)

Archived