LegacyGT.com

DIY Eyelids

DocHolladay23

I've done it again! My cheapness has caused me to try making my own eyelids, as I could not bear to spend $200 on some tiny pieces of plastic. I promise to post pics later, but just seeing if anyone else has tried this or would consider trying this. I basically made them out of Bondo, I used the stencil from okla7788's thread to get the shape and took my time to cut and sand them down. Pics to follow!

As always, glad to see interest. I'm anxious to get your guys' thoughts, so even though they are still in the process of being painted (only first coat is done, still needs sanding and spraying), here are some pics to start with.

Eyelids1.thumb.jpg.e92535cf62ff3239a65c59c351966372.jpg

Eyelids2.thumb.jpg.81c1534ef8a19f82d62e1f6f10de2a0d.jpg

Eyelids3.thumb.jpg.ae34cdd28fface21ee71185ebb622600.jpg

Eyelids4.thumb.jpg.1014247d6b4b94f12090a6f4dbcdaf8c.jpg

not bad, pretty nice. Tho i would prefer if the corner to the fender went all the way back.

I thought that might look better too, although the way it is now it ties in perfectly with that body line on the quarter panel's, so I think I might stick with it.

I like how it matches up with the body line. The turn signal area looks too curvy though, needs either sharper curves or just make it straight. Were they hard to make?

Yeah I do agree. In all honesty they were fairly easy to make, just time consuming with drying times, sanding, etc..., and of course it would be hard if you've never used Bondo or a similar product. But I'm pretty sure this wont be the last set I make, because I'm weird and actually enjoy this kind of stuff. If anyone is interested I did take a few pics along the process, not really enough for a proper walk through, but it may help getting a pretty good idea on how to do it. Also I wouldn't mind making some extra unpainted ones if someone finds these to be what they're looking for at a fraction of the cost...

Well I think materials (Bondo and fiberglass, primer, filler) would come up to around $30, but that could probably do a couple sets. You can send me a PM if you want with what you think would be fair, I'm not out to get rich, just want to be compensated for materials/time

Well I ran out of paint, as well as funding to get more, so I decided to just slap some clear coat on them how they are. I still think they turned out pretty good, especially since it was free because I already had all the supplies.

V2_4.thumb.jpg.16209a42a68e605833e7cd64b01cd7ee.jpg

V2_6.thumb.jpg.0ca3b53f5f00adac196a236449aef5c5.jpg

Archived