LegacyGT.com

Dead Subaru

zzzzzzz

came out to go to work this morning put the key in, nothing no starter ticking ,no dim lights no sound at all, dead as a doornail it seems like more than a drained battery had the car out the day before all day and no probs ......anyone else have this prob.?

the Legacy has some kind of dead-battery inhibitor switcht that is supposed to switch everything off if too large a draw occurs for too long of a time.

Maybe you blew a master fuse, or a battery lead shook loose?

Manual or Auto? With an auto it is possible to shift close to park, but not all the way and remove the key. It won't start in that case until you finish the shift into park.

+1, I have seen this before with previous cars.

I will have to check into the auto-off feature. I know that some cars however, even though they claim to have this, it is exempt on certain items. For example, a previous car i've had, had the auto off feature on all the interior lighting, but if you left the headlights on, too bad because it wouldn't shut them off.

It sounds like a completely dead battery. I've had this with other cars and everything you describe sounds the same.

well called roadside they came out jumped the car and the parking light were on it was that switch on the steering column {useless} must have gotten hit when i had the car detailed didnt even notice that the lights were on .......glad it was just that!

That switch is such a PITA, they should have better placement. BTW zzzzzzz, there are places where you need to have those light on when parking over night on the street, so it does have some use. My mom did this back when she had a 93 Impreza, and it was still in the same place back then so we shouldnt be expecting it to change anytime soon.

yah,

If the parking lights can drain the battery overnight, there is something wrong. That is how parking lights are supposed to be used for 6-12 hours at a time, and enough juice to start the engine afterward.

Sounds like a crap battery from the outset, and a candidate for a gel-spiral cell replacement, like an optima.

If the WRX is anything to go by then Subaru batteries are definately bargain basement (is the LGT battery the same?). Check out Volvo batteries for a comparison, pity my V40 was half the car, battery excluded ;)

Don't know if it's still the same in Japan, but it is (was) common practice (courtesy) to turn your lights off when you're at a stop light and waiting for the green.

The main reason for this was the batteries were so small and not made really well so they wore out quickly. But you couldn't turn your car lights off completely, so the extra "switch" was incorporated to just leave your exterior parking lamps on.

That and the streets are so narrow and tight that if you had to park on the street, unless you left your left your parking lamps on, someone turning a dark, narrow, tight corner wouldn't see you car in time and could hit it. Again, just the parking lamps would be on. Just have to remember to keep an eye on the switch, especially if you're cleaning the dust off your speedo bezel and accidently bump the switch.

FWIW - My car sat at the dealership with the doors open for several hours while it was being prepped and I was surprised that the car cranked very slowly when I first started it up. Even today, it seems to crank slowly (2 weeks later) and many on here in the cold climates have had the battery fail to start their car. And this on a lower compression engine than the NA versions or the older second gen DOHCs with even more compression.

I suspect that all of us will be keeping an eye on the battery to make sure that it stays healthy. Here in SoCal and over in AZ, we have to watch it constantly during the summer heat because it dries out pretty quickly.

BGT2.5 - what kind of battery did you replace your's with and did you notice any difference in the cranking speed, lights dimming, etc. Anyone tried an orange top Optima?

SBT

- Pro amore Dei et patriam et populum -

If the WRX is anything to go by then Subaru batteries are definately bargain basement (is the LGT battery the same?). Check out Volvo batteries for a comparison, pity my V40 was half the car, battery excluded ;)

My brand new S60 R's battery was quite dead after nine hours of the parking lights being left on. My mistake, sure, but as has been mentioned, isn't that how parking lights are supposed to be used?

Archived