LegacyGT.com

IPT Valve Body Issue

atc5

well first off, I suggest that you try and diagnose your issues before calling out the member who sold you the VB. Much research is required to verify and make sure everything will work. I sold my USED VB to Habitual Line Stepper and we made sure by checking VINs that they were in fact compatible. There is no guarantee, however, that YOUR car will like his VB or vice versa. Also, keep in mind that a modded VB will not save an already failing transmission.

Perhaps you should do a little more research then and make sure that it's in fact the VB and not something else as you have already noted. :rolleyes: calling out another member without making sure things are good on your end is not OK.

Wiggle wiggle wiggle wiggle wiggle yeah!!!

Ay yi yi...I'm not calling out the member by stating who I bought it from...that said, I'll remove that members name...not that it makes much of a difference.

Oh, and my transmission was perfect before installing this.

take it out....put stock back in and start over.

the VB doesn't have any mechanical parts. just sensors and crap like that. It doesn't make noise, it doesn't have several moving parts. (at least not the kind that go round and round)

I would suspect that if you are truly having these symptoms as you describe them, you would be back under the car removing the VB. Subaru transmissions are not cheap. I wouldn't be pissed about the amount of time you spent installing it. I would be more concerned about my $4000 transmission. Time is cheap.

Also, are you hammering it right away trying to feel the difference? The VB has a period of "learning" to go through. Don't expect a rocket ship for the first couple of hundred miles.

By the way, did you replace every single screw on the VB (not the pan) in the same place it came from? And you torqued them to specifications, including the pan? This question is silly, but I have to ask...topped of tranny fluid right? Sometimes our brains get ahead of ourselves when where busy with car stuff. (don't take it personal);)

Ralli-tek EAT bushing to finish.

the VB doesn't have any mechanical parts. just sensors and crap like that. It doesn't make noise, it doesn't have several moving parts. (at least not the kind that go round and round)

Also, are you hammering it right away trying to feel the difference? The VB has a period of "learning" to go through. Don't expect a rocket ship for the first couple of hundred miles.

By the way, did you replace every single screw on the VB (not the pan) in the same place it came from? And you torqued them to specifications, including the pan? This question is silly, but I have to ask...topped of tranny fluid right? Sometimes our brains get ahead of ourselves when where busy with car stuff. (don't take it personal);)

Thanks, appreciate your reply and insight.

Yes, every single is replaced per spec...in fact, I had the other VB on it's side so I can insert the bolt in the exact spot it came from as it came out of the car and vice versa. I was absolutely meticulous about the install of this VB.

I'm not hammering on the car at all...at this point I'm trying logically go through things that may have gone awry. Pan bolts are torqued to spec as well so no issues there either.

When the car is in D, sounds perfect. When I go into sport shift mode, that is where I get noises. My fear is that one of the rotating parts on the inside of the trans is rubbing on one of the sensors that is on the VB. Perhaps a sensor got bent out of place in shipping and is now rubbing? Thing is, I can reproduce the sound occasionally when the car is in neutral and in park.

I plan on calling IPT tomorrow to get their thoughts. I will likely ship my original VB to them to upgrade. Once I get my original one back, I'll ship the one that is in my car to them to examine. That said, I need to have a friend help me do this again...it's really a pain trying to do everything yourself.

Here is the way I laid the other VB to ensure I was replacing each bolt correctly:

http://i219.photobucket.com/albums/cc93/atc5photos/Picture194.jpg

A WORD OF WARNING:

When I had everything buttoned up, I started the car (car was in park) and the front of the car on ramps and the rear on jack stands.

When I started the car (again, in PARK) the rear wheels ONLY were spinning. YIKES!

So I shut it down, pulled the neg terminal on the battery and let it sit, then tried again and all was well.

Just a word of warning for fellow members. :)

if you get the sound in P and N, then I would suspect that the VB (or the trans) is NOT the culprit. I would go back like Jim1969 suggested and replace the OEM (or previous) DP. Don't forget to reset your ECU as well.

Have your TCU looked into. Also reset your ECU with your AP, or whatever engine management you're running.

A WORD OF WARNING:

When I had everything buttoned up, I started the car (car was in park) and the front of the car on ramps and the rear on jack stands.

When I started the car (again, in PARK) the rear wheels ONLY were spinning. YIKES!

So I shut it down, pulled the neg terminal on the battery and let it sit, then tried again and all was well.

Just a word of warning for fellow members. :)

All Legacy autos so that, but there isn't any real torque going to them, but you should still be careful... and buy a manual transmission car :)

if you get the sound in P and N, then I would suspect that the VB (or the trans) is NOT the culprit. I would go back like Jim1969 suggested and replace the OEM (or previous) DP. Don't forget to reset your ECU as well.

Have your TCU looked into. Also reset your ECU with your AP, or whatever engine management you're running.

+1

doesn't sound like the VB has anything to do with the noise. Check the DP and make sure it's not hitting or rubbing anything. I installed my DP and it hits under the car when under heavy load. get under there and see if you can find any markings or spots that it may be hitting as well.

Wiggle wiggle wiggle wiggle wiggle yeah!!!

Thanks for everyone's insight.

I think everything is solved and running A-OK.

I got under the car and noticed the heatshield near the o2 sensor was SUPER close to the o2..while there were no marks, under load I am certain this was the noise that was occuring as the shield would touch the o2 up and down making the subsequent up and down screetching noise on and off throttle.

In addition, I re-mounted the dp just to make double sure everything is tight, right, and sealed.

Anyways....all is well now and appreciate everyone's attention. My stock VB is up for sale in the classifieds if anyone is interested.

Thanks again everyone...I'll update this post if anything comes up which I doubt will.

Good to hear dude! I was worried about your car! You know too many failures recently in our neck of woods.... but well, you always could have done the sti 6spd swap ;):lol:

Archived