LegacyGT.com

Ford F250 King Ranch

In May I decided that it was time to buy a new truck for myself as I wanted a second vehicle for when I jack up the LGT. I also love to hunt and decided that something with four wheel drive was in order. I also wanted power but above all, I wanted longevity. Most long term diesel owners I talk to get at least 300,000 miles out of their trucks. Knowing that the Subie was still going to be the daily driver, I wasn't afraid of buying diesel and the rising cost of fuel either.

So the truck I ended up buying was an F250 King Ranch that had 72,000 miles on it along with brand new 20" rims and Pirelli Scorpion Tires. I paid $22,000 for the truck and gave the guy an extra $1,000 for the purchase of the new tire/wheel package as he had intended on putting the POS bald-ass stockers back on. So for the past 4 months, the truck has done nothing for which I had intended... no hunting, no hauling, just commuting on occassion.

I ended up moving to AZ this last weekend and finally got to use this thing for what it's worth. Now, I grew up on a farm and have hauled trailers since I was 13, usually with some sort of pick-up. My parents had a 1996 Ford F350 dually that they used to haul a camper which had the big 460ci gas guzzling V8 that usually got 11-12 mpg with nothing behind it.

After the commute across highway 10 with my truck loaded down front to back and 4800 pounds of car and trailer behind it, I got just under 14mpg while doing 75mph 95% of the time. The power on the 6.0 Powerstroke is nothing short of amazing. I had to slow down to 65 for a stretch of road and was actually getting just under 16mpg during that period.

If anyone is looking at buying a bigger truck, I would highly recommend the F250's/350's. The ride was awesome and I was smiling the entire trip. I'm taking it up to Tuscon later today with nothing in it to see what I get on the highway with it empty.

553834580_FrontLeftFromBalcony.jpg.a172ab7a037cb55626f722b111ceda9e.jpg

DSCF1736.JPG.74a4d8b07f11aa91311988c1171bb079.JPG

DSCF1739.JPG.11db22d90524ed5df5cf3e800e0b9695.JPG

DSCF1740.JPG.b167e940d0b25a646a0256a487a470c7.JPG

one of my old clients has one. loves it. exact same color inside and out as yours.
258k miles - Stock engine/minor suspension upgrades/original shocks/rear struts replaced at 222k/4 passenger side wheel bearings/3 clutches/1 radiator/3 turbos

nice truck. diesel is the only way to go with trucks, it just makes so much more sense.

It used to at least. With fuel prices what they are now though not so much. Add to that the fuel economy and power sapping new emissions gear and I don't know if I would buy a diesel unless I was towing all the time. I'll wait for all the emissions crap to get figured out (DPF's clog up and have all sorts of issues) and consider a diesel for my next truck.

In the mean time I will be content with a paltry 401lb-ft of twist in my gasser.:lol:

Even with the higher price of diesel, you can't even break even with anything bigger than a 1/2ton truck.

My 2000 F250 Powerstroke got 19.8 on the last tank (just around town driving). If you need a full size truck, diesels are the only way to go.

Keep an eye on the head gaskets on that 6.0 if you chip it... ;)

Even with the higher price of diesel, you can't even break even with anything bigger than a 1/2ton truck.

My 2000 F250 Powerstroke got 19.8 on the last tank (just around town driving). If you need a full size truck, diesels are the only way to go.

Keep an eye on the head gaskets on that 6.0 if you chip it... ;)

Slap a diesel particulate filter on your truck and see how you do for mileage. It will surprise you how much of a negative affect it has. A friend of mine just traded off his LBZ Duramax for a new LMM, and after 15,000 miles his average mileage has gone from about what you have posted to about 15.5-16.5 MPG. He is pretty pissed about that, and he drives pretty conservatively. DPF's kill mileage over time, at first they don't seem to be a problem but not all of that soot gets burned off during regeneration and it eventually builds up.

For comparison I am averaging 17.6 MPG mixed city/highway with my Toyota, and I get 18.5-19.2 MPG highway on fuel that costs $3.86/gallon vs. $4.53/gallon. I also didn't have to pay $6,500-$7,000 for the diesel engine option. I also didn't need a 3/4 ton truck, but even if a diesel were offered in a 1/2 ton it would have to get 25mpg on the highway and cost no more than $2000 more than a gas motor to make me buy it.

Hell, I wish diesel engines were offered in small trucks and jeeps and stuff.

4 or 6 cylinder turbodiesels would be fine for that. 6 and V8 diesels for full size and up.

I am really diggin' the new H3T. It looks to have great balance between modest size and good utility for occaisional modest use. Not hauling 12000lbs of cargo or anything.

If it had a good turbodiesel engine, it could be unstoppable for it's class. The 5.3 gas V8 is the alternative, I guess. I hear the I5 engine is anemic. acceptable until you actually want to do anything, then it requires forceful behavior. That hardly seems good for a truck.

4 or 6 cylinder turbodiesels would be fine for that. 6 and V8 diesels for full size and up.

I am really diggin' the new H3T. It looks to have great balance between modest size and good utility for occaisional modest use. Not hauling 12000lbs of cargo or anything.

If it had a good turbodiesel engine, it could be unstoppable for it's class. The 5.3 gas V8 is the alternative, I guess. I hear the I5 engine is anemic. acceptable until you actually want to do anything, then it requires forceful behavior. That hardly seems good for a truck.

It would be nice if smaller diesels were offered in 1/2 ton and smaller trucks and SUV's, but in order to sell they will need to make significantly more power than equivalent gas motors and/or make much better fuel economy (enough to give an operating cost advantage even with more expensive fuel). The diesel option will also have to be with $2K of the gas motor to get most buyer to bite, otherwise the option takes to long to break even.

If Toyota had offered a mid displacement diesel V8 or I6 for the Tundra and it was within $2K of the 5.7L gas V8 I would have given it a look. If that theoretical motor could have made 500lb-ft of torque and gotten 25MPG or better I would be driving one as we speak. Unfortunately with the new emissions gear I don't think the mileage will be there and the DPF adds about $1.5-$2K to the cost of the vehicle. Makes for a hard sell.

Penguin,

You're definately correct on the DPF... my buddy bought an 07 Ram Cummings Diesel with that thing and after 12,000 it clogged and his truck wouldn't move. I knew there were problems with that new requirement which is why I stuck with a slightly used one that didn't have that thing.

You also make a great point about diesel being more expensive in both fuel costs and as an option/upgrade however something to counter that is the fact that a gasser with 150,000 miles on it is considered past its prime and it's time to look for a new one where as diesels routinely go 300,000+ miles with just routine maintenance. This is another reason why I went this route... and yeah, the 325hp and 570 lb ft of torque is nice as well :-).

Gregsbuzz... the window sticker is still in the glovebox and it listed at $50,380. No way in hell would I ever pay that much for a truck. I paid like under half that.

To all those who want to see a smaller diesel for the half tons and SUV's, you're in luck. Ford is looking to introduce a 4.4 liter diesel V8 with 350hp and 450lb ft of torque. Info below:

http://jalopnik.com/398842/20095-ford-f+150-diesel-spotted-could-produce-350-hp

Rodan... I hear ya on the head gasket. I know the 03's had big problems with this as that was the first year of the 6.0 liter. They changed a few things and have improved the head bolts/gasket. On that note... I really can't see wht anyone would chip this thing. The power is absolutely unreal stock.

Gregsbuzz... the window sticker is still in the glovebox and it listed at $50,380. No way in hell would I ever pay that much for a truck. I paid like under half that.

I saw 72k miles and a $22K price tag and thought WTF?

Now I understand :lol:

Penguin,

You also make a great point about diesel being more expensive in both fuel costs and as an option/upgrade however something to counter that is the fact that a gasser with 150,000 miles on it is considered past its prime and it's time to look for a new one where as diesels routinely go 300,000+ miles with just routine maintenance. This is another reason why I went this route... and yeah, the 325hp and 570 lb ft of torque is nice as well :-).

Older diesels will last that long for mileage, the Cummins certainly will as well as the older 7.3L Powerstrokes. Of course those engines in stock form were under much less stress and much less boost. When I see a new Duramax, Powerstroke, or Cummins clock 300K miles at the power levels beeing asked of them with no turbos eaten up, no head gaskets, no injectors, no fuel rails, or fuel pumps being replaced I'll be a beleiver. Until then the diesel's primary advantage should be considered more torque for towing performance (undeniable), and better fuel economy when being worked hard (questionable with current DPF's). With DPF's and increasingly complex turbos to consider I do not think diesels will have an advantage in longevity anymore. Not becuase the motor's internals will have worn out more quickly but because the anciallary equipment will have failed long before the motor and replacing it will be too cost prohibitive for most owners to mess with.

4 or 6 cylinder turbodiesels would be fine for that. 6 and V8 diesels for full size and up

I have a Turbo Diesel 4Runner (3.0 4cyl), averages around 25mpg, you could call me a diesel convert for SUV type vehicles.

They were, and no you don't because:

The new 3.0-liter CRD engine , built by Mercedes-Benz, produces 215 hp (160 kW) @ 3800 rpm and 376 lb.-ft. torque (510 N·m) @ 1600-2800 rpm and gets an estimated fuel economy of 19 miles city and 23 miles highway.

And thats before the revised method of EPA testing. Not impressive. However, this vehicle can tow quite a bit. 17/22 for the 2008 MY. It just not worth the cost if you are looking for everyday efficiency.

Not to get off topic, but what is up with Jeep and their gasoline 6 cylinders? They produce little HP and you would think that they would produce more torque than they do, but they really don't.

Hey Penguin,

I belong to the powerstroke.org forums and there's a few folks on there that have turned 300,000 already. The reason why there aren't that many 300,000+ trucks out there is because of time the 6.0 have been around. There's a few techs on there that service other 6.0s that have +400,000 miles and one that has over 500,000 miles on it with minimal maintenance.

There were definately issues with the '03 version of the 6.0 which was rushed into production before everything was perfected on it. What they've discovered is that the things that made the 6.0 great (fuel economy, emissions) we're also the reason for its demise. Well, partially. The real reason for most of the problems was the slop diesel that was being provided at most of the pumps.

See, the 6.0 is based off a European design. Hell, the turbo has exhaust vaning much like the newer Porshe 911's which is why it has the low end power that it does. Because of the high sulpher content the diesel had it jacked up the EGR valve. Along with that it would also jack up the exhaust vaning actuator causing the turbo to fail. The introduction of new untra-low sulpher diesel has a lot to with with why people are starting to see the 6.0's reach the higher mileage with fewer issues.

Yeah, there's definately a few trucks out there that'll end up being lemons but it won't prove to be nearly as disastrous as the late model 03's where ambulances were shutting down enroute to distress calls because of turbo/injector/and egr failure. The problems kind of snow ball with these things too as the ones that see one component take a shit are likely to see other parts go out as well which is another reason why I decided to purchase a used one with a clean service record.

I'll stand by what I said about the longevity of new diesels with the DPF's and new turbos. The motor internals will last just as long as the older trucks did, but the ancillary equipment will not. The cost of replacing DPF's and compound turbos will take the trucks off of the road when those parts start to fail.

A problem with the 7.3 is the cam postitioning sensor. Truck would just die no warning. $80.00 part but Ford never did a recall. Until I made a little phone call to the NHTSA and told them how dangerous this could be. $REFUND$ ;)

Archived