LegacyGT.com

Synthetic Oil ?

40miles to school n back, about 20 to and from work...about 80% highway miles

Weather conditions: South East US, NC- 4 seasons, mild spring/fall, humid summers, chilly winters

35k miles on the old 2002

I also agree w/ this, I was just curious...especially since this is the first car I've paid (well paying) for myself. I def wanna keep it in top shape ;) as well learn more about my car and cars in general. Thanks again for all the replys.

wow 35K on a 2002! I would be lucky if I don't end up putting 35K in 1 year at the rate I'm going. I changed to the Penzoil Synth. last oil change, I have 40K miles on the car now. I drive about 40-50 miles each day from house -> school -> work.

wow 35K on a 2002! I would be lucky if I don't end up putting 35K in 1 year at the rate I'm going. I changed to the Penzoil Synth. last oil change, I have 40K miles on the car now. I drive about 40-50 miles each day from house -> school -> work.

Na I hear ya, I'm sure I'll do the same between work n school n what not. It had one previous owner..an old guy i think who used it to get groceries, so I lucked out. It cost a pretty penny tho, after everything about 11k with a 30k warranty on the powertrian. At the time I was also looking @ a 99Leg for like 7k, but it had close to 90k and no warranty.

Na I hear ya, I'm sure I'll do the same between work n school n what not. It had one previous owner..an old guy i think who used it to get groceries, so I lucked out. It cost a pretty penny tho, after everything about 11k with a 30k warranty on the powertrian. At the time I was also looking @ a 99Leg for like 7k, but it had close to 90k and no warranty.

The pre-2005 Legacy models are beautiful. Any pics?

One guy I know that does oil analysis for a living does changes every 10k with synthetic. Not saying that's the way to go, but synthetics tend not to really break down.

Sorry, but that blanket statement is just about as worse as it can get. Don't judge the oil, judge the application. My wife's Focus is so gentle and easy on the oil, it comes out partially clean at 5K intervals on dino oil. A M1 oil analysis showed mine was toast in 5k miles.

I was at the Subaru dealer for my 45k service last week. They walked me into the shop to show me an oil filter leak and the tech told me not to use synthetic oil. He said synthetic oil is too thin and I am risking damage to the turbo. Then he showed me an article written in a Subaru tech newsletter to confirm it. Has anyone heard anything similar?

I was at the Subaru dealer for my 45k service last week. They walked me into the shop to show me an oil filter leak and the tech told me not to use synthetic oil. He said synthetic oil is too thin and I am risking damage to the turbo. Then he showed me an article written in a Subaru tech newsletter to confirm it. Has anyone heard anything similar?

never heard of this....ive been using synthetic for a while and know some knowledgeable subaru techs and have never heard of this...

My dealer/service dept told me the same thing. I have an 05 with 98,000 on it and have been using Mobil 1 since day 1 (I had them change my oil 500 miles after I bought the car). At about 85,000 I started having oil consumption issues and was put on a consumption program. During this they said they did some research and told me the exact same thing you did. So maybe it is true. Since then I bought and 06 with 5300 yes not a typo 5300 miles on it. I am NOT running synthetic in this I'm not sure what I should do.:confused: They didn't tell me synthetic would void warranty or anything but I do change oil every 4,000 miles.

Given that we've seen I think both here and on BITOG how dino can shear in our turbo cars, I'd say you may be pushing it with the 4K OCI. Personally I would switch to synthetic, especially if you are modded and invest in one or two used oil analyses and see what your car is doing.

Archived