LegacyGT.com

TrueDelta Vehicle Reliability Survey - latest results for the Legacy

mkaresh

Car Reliability Survey results for the Subaru Legacy and Outback have been updated again to include owner experiences through the end of June.

Repair rates, in terms of successful repair trips per 100 vehicles per year:

2009: 47, about average, small sample size

2008: 41, about average, but close to "better than average"

2007: 27, better than average

2006: 35, better than average

2005: 44, better than average

2002: 80, better than average, very small sample size

2000: 200, worse than average, very small sample size, avg. odo 128k

A big thanks to everyone who has been helping. We'll have further updates in November and February. With more participants, we could provide more precise information and cover all model years.

Subaru Legacy / Outback reliability comparisons

Note: on this page it will refer to the Outback alone, but the figures are from a combined sample.

Previously posted sets of results:

May 2009 results, which covered through the end of March:

2008: about average, but now close to "better than average"

2007: 17, better than average, just one response short of minimum needed for full result

2006: 26, better than average

2005: 40, better than average

2002: 112, about average, very small sample size

February 2009 results, which covered through the end of 2008:

2005: 51, now better than average - wheel bearings and headlights are most common problems

2006: 38, better than average

2007: 18, better than average, marginal sample size

2008: 56, about average; continues to have more problems than 2006 and 2007

November 2008 results, which covered through September:

2005: 58, about average - wheel bearings and headlights are most common problems

2006: 32, better than average

2007: 21, better than average, marginal sample size

2008: 49, about average; some decline from 2006 and 2007?

A couple owners of the 2008 have suggested that the quality isn't as good as their previous Subarus, but it's still very early in these cars' lives. At any rate, though the repair rate for the 2008 does appear to be higher than the 2006 or 2007, it's still lower than that for most cars.

I've had my 08 since December (about 15k miles so far :eek:) and...

I'm gonna have to bring it in because *I think* my exhaust heat shield is loose/broken. The rattling is driving me nuts. Also every once and a while when my sun roof hasn't been opened in a week or two, the motor will make a harsh grinding noise. It'll open, but it'll grind a few times :( Then the noise will go away for a while.

Oh, and my drivers seat started squeaking/creaking when pressure is put on it. Specifically from the force of my body on a left turn. That's ridiculously annoying as well.

Other problems that drive me nuts are:

Misc. Rattles (Sun roof -- which is weird, it only rattles when the cover is fully open), and one or two others I can't narrow down)

The leather on my steering wheel is bubbling off in the 6 o'clock position

The paint SUCKS.

If you don't vote Trump, out, you're a bigot who hates america.

Nice to see you posting here Michael. (Love your posts on TTAC)

Overall my 07 has been very good, with any minor issue being handled by the dealer flawlessly.

EDIT: They even gave me touch up paint when I went in to buy some for a chip to my hood, damn rocks

My 08 has been in the shop for one month total since I purchased it May 31. It has been at the dealer for the past three weeks and counting. The car makes a loud grinding/ scraping sound when I let off the gas. The dealer has tried replacing the heat shields, exhaust manifold, resonator, mufflers, drive shaft, and the tail bearing. But the subie has also been in the shop for misaligned trim peices, broken rear cup holder, and splash guard clips keep coming off. This is my first subaru and I'm not impressed so far, but I hope it get better because I really love the car.

^ *sigh* Sounds like the same problem that I have. I've yet to bring it to the dealer. Keep us updated on what happens.

I was driving to work today, and the rattles really got to me. The sun-roof cover rattle is the worst.

If you don't vote Trump, out, you're a bigot who hates america.

I had to involve soa with the grinding sound. Now one of their people will be dealing with me. Because of the on going problem that hasn't been resolved I might try and have them buy the car back. If you are having a grinding sound on decel you should report it right away if our cars have the same problem they might be able to fix them or find a link. When my dealer called soa tech assist they said my car was the first reported case and they have no idea how to fix it. By the way none of the older techs can here the noise, they always have to find a tech in his twentys.

I can truly attest to the quality difference between an '06 and '08 because I owned both. I traded an 06 for a new identical 08 and the build quality difference is obvious. Besides an extra rattle from the glovebox area at low-rpm 4th gear acceleration, my 08's powertrain controls seem to be a mess...my '06 powertrain behaved smoothly, near that of a luxury car; my '08's powertrain behavoir (lack of smoothness, refinement) reminds me of a go-cart! Both dealers I have visited don't seem to think there is a problem. I could go on, but not sure you want to hear all the details. Can anyone else feel a jerk (from downshifting) during moderate braking in a 4EAT 2.5i? It's soo annoying, especially when I have passengers.

Can anyone else feel a jerk (from downshifting) during moderate braking in a 4EAT 2.5i? It's soo annoying, especially when I have passengers.

This happens from time to time...mostly in an area where you have a seriess of 4 way stops....the engine revs up as to shift but you are coming a yet another 4 ways stop...let of the gas and bang...it jerks. It feels like a tranny mount or a engine mount has broken.

I've had mine do that hard jerk a few times too (in that same multiple stop situation), but this is mostly a softer annoying downshift of at least 2 gears when slowing from about 50mph, sometimes without even pressing the brake. Since my 06 shifted and idled silky smooth, and this 08 is anything but....I thought maybe this was caused by changes in the mapping or other powertrain software rather than hardware like the transmission or engine. Things like defective egr, injectors, or sensors also came to mind, but that's like grasping at straws. And as far as the service techs are concerned: no code=no problem

• 3 weeks later...

We're on the verge of turning in our 05 LGT and purchasing an 07 spec.B (being sold by a member here, w00t)... it's a nice step up/sideways. I remember reviewing the 08 LGT for TTAC and being disappointed in the decrease in quality for that year... interesting to see that it appears to have been more than skin deep. Bad subaru.

Michael, I had no idea you haunted these parts. And the 'tex? You get around. ;)

What the, I have a rattle too when decelerating in gear. It was pretty bad in the first 1000 miles, but it seems to have gotten quieter. Still there kind of, guess I'll have to wait and see. I took it into the dealer a couple days after I bought it too, they said it was nothing, the heat shields were tight, blah blah blah. Good job on getting your car bought back.

I had to involve soa with the grinding sound. Now one of their people will be dealing with me. Because of the on going problem that hasn't been resolved I might try and have them buy the car back. If you are having a grinding sound on decel you should report it right away if our cars have the same problem they might be able to fix them or find a link. When my dealer called soa tech assist they said my car was the first reported case and they have no idea how to fix it. By the way none of the older techs can here the noise, they always have to find a tech in his twentys.

Ive read that other people had that issue. My car does make noise when im off the gas thats for sure, but I wanna say its normal for the Bs gearbox down low in 1st and 2nd ive been told.

Starla = Megan? I had no idea you were around these parts :)

I have to say the 08 LGT my wife and I have has been quite good for it's first 9000 miles....one glitch, but otherwise very pleasurable. I sure hope it stays that way.

The glitch was that she turned on both front and rear defrosters and the whole radio/climate controls went dead. She drove like that for 15-20 minutes, restarted the car, and everything has been normal since.

I will say I don't care for the power delivery. I'm looking forward to tuning the car just to make the power delivery smoother, wider, and more natural.

Joe

The noise is in every gear, and the dealer agreed the noise wasn't normal for this car. The other issue was the loose suspension parts. While turning sharply on uneven pavement the front of the car started making a popping loose sound. I refused to buy another legacy when I got my money back. While test driving the outback I was slowing down to a stop and it felt like it was going to die. I ran away from the legacy and outbacks even though they're the best looking and I liked them better.

Archived