LegacyGT.com

which headers?

addison

im trying to decide which headers to buy... ideally i think i would rather have EL's over UEL's... i know that El's have a tendency to produce slightly higher numbers and quicker turbo spool but how does collector configuration contribute to performance, sound, etc... i know most headers seem to be 4-2-1 but i know some care 4-1 and dont collect until the up pipe.... what do you guys recomend?

EL will produce more power but you lose the boxer rumble. UEL, keep the boxer sound, whp difference from EL is maybe 3-5 less. UEL are prone to cracking (its really up in the air). Many go the route of Port/Polished stock manifolds w/ an X-over pipe. Very durable and you keep the boxer sound

UEL will produce more power but you lose the boxer rumble. UEL, keep the boxer sound, whp difference from EL is maybe 3-5 less. UEL are prone to cracking (its really up in the air). Many go the route of Port/Polished stock manifolds w/ an X-over pipe. Very durable and you keep the boxer sound

I think you mean EL, not UEL.

As far as which headers, another thing to factor in is whether it has an integrated UP. IMHO, having an integrated UP is the way to go as you get rid of the possibility of having that manifold-UP leak that many of us have fought with. My $.02.

oops type-o. correct. EL not UEL. Ive heard headers with intergrated UP pipe are the worst when it coes to cracking because they crack right at the collecter

I wouldn't doubt it. But then again I've read that the life span of headers in general are lower than that of the stock manifold so I guess it's a lose/lose situation.

UEL will produce more power but you lose the boxer rumble. UEL, keep the boxer sound, whp difference from EL is maybe 3-5 less. UEL are prone to cracking (its really up in the air). Many go the route of Port/Polished stock manifolds w/ an X-over pipe. Very durable and you keep the boxer sound

:confused:

Been pleased with the Maddad headers that can be coated from factory (and keep warranty). 3-bolt UP to collector connection as well, which I like to make sure it doesn't spring a leak over time.

http://www.daddysscp.com/nasioc/coated_400.jpg

That is a nice looking setup... especially with that 3 bolt flange. What did that cost coated like that?

Coating is $200 I believe, but cheaper if you find a vendor with them in stock, at least that's what I did. MadDad has a pretty good track record with products in general, and I didn't find any consistent issues with the headers searching various Subaru boards, and they came recommended by a few folks here.

Was also able to keep the plastic undercarriage tray, although you need to heat tape protect around the oil filter access panel.

Archived