LegacyGT.com

Help! Borla Exhaust Install

swpshgnwgn

Hey guys. I'm helping my buddy do an install on his 05 LGT and we're having issues bolting up the stock downpipe to the borla midpipe. I did a quick search and most people said this is an easy install so I'm not quite sure what we're missing. :spin:

We're using the stock bolts with the springs because the ones provided by Borla do not fit into the stock dp. Any suggestions or experience? Thanks.

Hey guys. I'm helping my buddy do an install on his 05 LGT and we're having issues bolting up the stock downpipe to the borla midpipe. I did a quick search and most people said this is an easy install so I'm not quite sure what we're missing. :spin:

We're using the stock bolts with the springs because the ones provided by Borla do not fit into the stock dp. Any suggestions or experience? Thanks.

Hey there. I just installed my Borla about a month ago.

Do you have a picture of what you're trying to do or what the issue is? Mine bolted right up without any issues. The only issue that I did have was trying to compress the springs far enough so that I could put the nut back on the bolts and tighten it back up. I ended buying 2 different spring compressors to eventually compress them far enough to bolt everything in place.

The flange on the Borla should and does mate with the stock DP flange without any issues. Its probably something simple that you're overlooking and if someone pointed it out you'd have a "Eureka!" moment. :)

I am going to be putting on somekind of aftermarket DP (Invidia or Megan) and I am going to throw those springs away since they were such a PITA.

Hey there. I just installed my Borla about a month ago.

Do you have a picture of what you're trying to do or what the issue is? Mine bolted right up without any issues. The only issue that I did have was trying to compress the springs far enough so that I could put the nut back on the bolts and tighten it back up. I ended buying 2 different spring compressors to eventually compress them far enough to bolt everything in place.

The flange on the Borla should and does mate with the stock DP flange without any issues. Its probably something simple that you're overlooking and if someone pointed it out you'd have a "Eureka!" moment. :)

I am going to be putting on somekind of aftermarket DP (Invidia or Megan) and I am going to throw those springs away since they were such a PITA.

Thanks for the help. I think it was just those springs. Huge PITA. :mad: We ended up having to install his stock exhaust again so he could drive home. We'll have to try to deal with those springs another day. :spin:

Thanks for the help. I think it was just those springs. Huge PITA. :mad: We ended up having to install his stock exhaust again so he could drive home. We'll have to try to deal with those springs another day. :spin:

You need to buy a spring compressor. It absolutely has to be the kind of compressor that has 2 "arms" that mount on the side of the spring and then you just very very slowly crank away until the spring is compressed enough (you also have to do it with the spring in position too, so it is very difficult) to put the nut on and hand turn it just enough to keep the spring from popping off and smacking you in the eyeball! Then just tighten it up... I did mine on my own and I think I must have been under my car for at least 1.5 hours trying and failing to compress the springs... They would keep flying out of the compressor everytime I got close enough to put the nut back on.

The springs are a HUGE PITA. . . I'm throwing mine into my spare parts box when I put the DP on!! So long as you look at your exhaust every once in a while to see if the bolts are keeping everything comfy & cozy as far as the mating of the dp and midpipe then you should be fine.

• 5 years later...
Sorry to resurrect this thread, but I am having this problem too. I put this exhaust on in 2007. the flange on the pipe that connects to the cat rusted out. Borla gave me a new one, and I'm replacing the donut gasket. I can't get close to making the new flange meet the cat flange with the springs on. I compressed the springs in a vise and wired them in a compressed state, but I still can't get the bolts through the cat flange. Cutting the springs won't help because they wouldn't be flat on the ends. I've tried pulling it all together with clamps but that didn't work.

The only thing you could do would be to use shorter springs or a longer bolt. The bolt is not possible because it is a special bolt. You could bolt the two pieces together without the springs, but I don't think that would last very long as the exhaust moves about a bit.

Went to the hardware store and got some 2.75" long bolts, lock washers, and nuts. Didn't even mess around with the stock springs (I don't even have them since PO had installed aftermarket DP and ditched them then). Works just fine, I don't quite see the need for the springs....

Archived