LegacyGT.com

Help to pass emissions anyone?

You can also buy code readers at Amazon for ~$100.

[ame=http://www.amazon.com/Equus-3100-Diagnostic-Post-1996-Vehicles/dp/B000EVWDAK/ref=pd_bbs_sr_3?ie=UTF8&s=automotive&qid=1219212516&sr=8-3]Amazon.com: Equus 3100 Innova Diagnostic Code Reader with Memory Backup for OBDII (Post-1996) Vehicles: Automotive[/ame]

The one I have is similar to this-

[ame=http://www.amazon.com/Actron-CP9175-AutoScanner-Diagnostic-Post-1996/dp/B000FJS8O6/ref=pd_bbs_sr_5?ie=UTF8&s=automotive&qid=1219212516&sr=8-5]Amazon.com: Actron CP9175 AutoScanner Diagnostic Code Scanner with Freeze Frame Data for OBDII (Post-1996) Vehicles: Automotive[/ame]

Yes there are cheaper ones but they just give you the code without any explanation.

Pulling the check engine light bulb won't work, the code is still in the computer. You can clear the code, but if you don't fix the problem the CEL will come back on. And you have to drive for a certain amount of miles or cycles (not sure which it is) before any monitors clear.

I'm guessing you either have to replace a sensor, or buy a 'simulator' sensor.

Friends don't let friends drink cheap beer.

You can also buy code readers at Amazon for ~$100.

Amazon.com: Equus 3100 Innova Diagnostic Code Reader with Memory Backup for OBDII (Post-1996) Vehicles: Automotive

The one I have is similar to this-

Amazon.com: Actron CP9175 AutoScanner Diagnostic Code Scanner with Freeze Frame Data for OBDII (Post-1996) Vehicles: Automotive

Yes there are cheaper ones but they just give you the code without any explanation.

Pulling the check engine light bulb won't work, the code is still in the computer. You can clear the code, but if you don't fix the problem the CEL will come back on. And you have to drive for a certain amount of miles or cycles (not sure which it is) before any monitors clear.

I'm guessing you either have to replace a sensor, or buy a 'simulator' sensor.

So if I clear the code the engine light will come back on, but I can still pass DEQ if I unplug my battery overnight right? When I unplug it the light will go off and stay off for a couple days. Would this work?

Depends. Yes it will clear the code. Yes the tester may be able to tell that the car has not been driven enough for the ECU to run it's checks.

Now my story.

97 Suburban, CEL is on all the time, truck runs like a top. I drove the truck to work, pulled the battery cable. 8 hours later, drive the truck 1.5 miles to test station. While I'm waiting for my turn, I hear the guy tell this person with a late 90's Pontiac Bonneville it looks like someone has pulled the cable and the ecu has not had time to run it's checks.

I thought oh well. A few minutes late the guy says your all set, passes fine. I said thanks and smiled.

I know my CEL is something about low something with right O2 sensor, may be code 140 or ...who cares it runs great. I got 20 months before I have to worry about it.

My CEL comes on after about 20-25 miles of driving

305,600miles 5/2012 ej257 short block, 8/2011 installed VF52 turbo, @20.8psi, 280whp, 300ftlbs. (SOLD).  CHECK your oil, these cars use it.

Engine Build - Click Here

Depends. Yes it will clear the code. Yes the tester may be able to tell that the car has not been driven enough for the ECU to run it's checks.

Now my story.

97 Suburban, CEL is on all the time, truck runs like a top. I drove the truck to work, pulled the battery cable. 8 hours later, drive the truck 1.5 miles to test station. While I'm waiting for my turn, I hear the guy tell this person with a late 90's Pontiac Bonneville it looks like someone has pulled the cable and the ecu has not had time to run it's checks.

I thought oh well. A few minutes late the guy says your all set, passes fine. I said thanks and smiled.

I know my CEL is something about low something with right O2 sensor, may be code 140 or ...who cares it runs great. I got 20 months before I have to worry about it.

My CEL comes on after about 20-25 miles of driving

Your '97 is an OBD-II, while the Bonneville is an OBD-I, which means that there are different procedures involved. I suspect that they actually did measure the emissions on that car while they were satisfied by reading the codes on your.

453747.png

Archived