LegacyGT.com

Concerned about transmission after installing Cobb STS

JoeFromPA

Hey all,

Ok, I'd rather be paranoid and begin threads like this than say nothing at all and be proven not to just be paranoid :)

I installed a Cobb STS about a month ago (I think, time flies...).

When I first installed it, the throw was only moderately shorted and the height was very short. In the process of installing it, I removed a fair amount of foam and rubber insulation to help prevent any binding (that occured and it was hard to shift into 2nd).

It was still pretty difficult to shift, requiring alot of muscle, so I loosened the nut holding the yoke to the shifter (which seemed to have cured it). I also shortened the throw almost as much as possible without rotating the metal plate, and I raised the height of the shifter to give more mechanical leverage to help ease gear changes.

So now I'm concerned because I'm getting a sound/feel like I'm putting pressure against syncros when going into gear. There's not really any grinding feeling, but I'll give an example:

1st-to-2nd shift at 2500 rpms - Smooth, not much pressure required, no abnormal noises

1st to 2nd shift at 3500-4000 rpms - Doesn't shift into gear right away, I hear a "grrrrrrrr" noise and then it pops into gear at the same time the noise stops. I feel a vibration associated with the noise through the shifter.

That happens in several gears, and moreso when shifting at higher rpms.

I could just be paranoid....for all I know, it could be that the yoke is indeed hitting the metal plate for a second before the gear is engaging, and is causing that sound/feel.

Has anyone else ever experienced this? Any thoughts? Will switching to Extra-S help because the syncros will spin up faster or be smoother?

My current plan of action:

Adjust shifter for slightly longer throw, less shift height (my wife wants it shorter), and loosen bolt a little more. Ensure nothing is binding.

Switch to Extra-S fluid in trans and diff in 2-3 months.

Thoughts?

Joe who doesn't want to mess up any syncros, especially not during warranty and get warranty denied and have wife never approve of modification again.

Try moving the take-off point down just a hair to see if the link has been rubbing the plate.

FWIW, I have the same STS and while shifting is a bit more notchy it's only what I'd expect considering the shortened throw. I hear more whirring noises, especially when engaging a new gear, but I am pretty sure that's due to the fact that the stock shifter was designed to damp out noises as the short-throw wasn't.

The take-off point? Do you mean lengthen the throw a hair (i.e. lower the throw adjustment)?

It's good to know the "whirring" is normal...and I definitely removed about 60% of the foam insulation and 25% of the rubber bottom "plate".

I'll keep my fingers crossed :)

Joe

Yes, move the point where the link attaches slightly lower - you'll get slightly longer throw but it should ensure that the link isn't hitting the plate. If the noise goes away, you've found the problem. If the noise remains, then the problem was something else.

• 1 month later...

Hey Jax,

See some of my other posts since then....since you ordered an STS, pick up some grease (moly-lithium...I used a $3 supertech tube). Loosen the pivot bolt a hair and a few other things and voila, it feels fantastic.

I'm about to change the fluid as well.

Joe

FWIW, I'd recommend installing the STI tranny mount also. I really enjoy mine. A lot less movement in the driveline.

And a lot more driveline noise transmitted into the cabin. No thanks for me.

ignore him, he'll go away.

Does a STS actually make the shift quicker or does it only reduce the distance of the throw?

Hey Sebbery,

I'll use Cobb as an example, which is able to adjust the length of the throw of the shift as well as shifter height. In my case, it has made the shifting slightly quicker, and I don't have the throw all that shortened.

It's also nice to have a shorter height.

Joe

I have the Cobb set up for the highest shift knob height (still noticeably shorter than stock) and the shortest throw, in terms of angle, which is probably 2/3 stock.

Shorter in time? Probably, but not by much. I just like being able to shift with my fingertips (and a little wrist action) rather than with my whole arm.

Yeah, I bought the Cobb because of the height adjustability, and was a little bummed that even when maxed out it is still shorter than stock. Go used to it quickly though and I won't be going back.

If somebody makes one that's stock length and minimum throw (there's a couple parts that collide if you try to shorten it too much) then I'd consider switching.

Archived