LegacyGT.com

Stage 2 LGT vs "Stage 2" Speed6

Hey guys I've been thinking about this for quite awhile since my friend with a speed6 is getting mod hungry.

Admittingly, the speed6 is a very nice car for value, but it seems like my friend has a lot more issues with it then my Legacy. For one, I thought he couldn't shift that well but the blame is now the bad engine/transmission mounts (which he has now replaced...pain in the ass to do and one mount is sorta f-ed up).

And theres that big issue of heatsoak, but he now is running FMIC (tubing isn't the best.. hot and cold side is close together) and intake where the TMIC used to be (...i dunno if thats a good idea but it seems to be working). However his car is still damn hot. The hood is ungodly hot at times and i'm not sure how that is even good for his car....

Then there is the issue of direct injection for turbos...his car throwing rods..throttle plate closing in high RPMS..ECU encryption....etc.

Now he wants to go "stage 2" which is basically downpipe with catback (they have no up-pipe...straight from exhaust manifold to turbo) with a tune.

Now since he does have to shell a lot more to get mods, I'm happy I have the Legacy GT, but now i'm wondering if he will pace/beat/own me.

Its somewhat hard to do research since there is still relatively little information (or i'm just bad at searching at mazda forums :p), but what do you guys think?

Then there is the issue of direct injection for turbos...his car throwing rods..throttle plate closing in high RPMS..ECU encryption....etc.

Throwing Rods? The way I read that his car has already thrown a rod. Am I reading it right? If that's the case, I'd suggest he sell it asap, or leave it +/- stock.

One deciding factor for me in pursuing the Legacy over the Speed6 - Reliability after mods. Frankly, I was tired of having cars (Mazdas) which didn't respond very well to mods; id est, longevity vs. HP. I simply didn't trust Mazda's engine. Couple that with the fact FWD-biased AWD systems suck and there ya go. :)

Anywho - I haven't seen of or read of many 300whp MS6s - yet there are scores of 300whp LGTs around. :)

SOLD | '06 spec.B - VF52/AVO/740cc/Up/Down | 238awhp | 50-80mph 3.1 seconds.

Throwing Rods? The way I read that his car has already thrown a rod. Am I reading it right? If that's the case, I'd suggest he sell it asap, or leave it +/- stock.

I was wondering about that too. I wonder if he mean throwing codes instead of rods. If the engine throws a rod it's pretty much done for.

There seems to be a fair number of 300WHP Mazdaspeeds around, and they don't need to replace much at all (still on stock fuel system and turbo). However, many seem to be "we tuned it and got xxx" I don't see the follow-ups after months of daily flogging.

Certainly a learning curve with the engine, sure in time it will be sorted out. Still, the 2.3T will never have the number of options in terms of shops, hardware, owners and tuners that are as familar with it as the current crop of turbo Subaru options. Important if you don't do everything yourself/need help from time-to-time.

Any car whose engine has been know to, or is known to 'randomly throw rods' is a car I'd leave stock. MS3s having the same issue?

sounds like if he upgrades he'll be in the garage anyway. don't worry about it.

btw...take it to the track.

Yes Sir.

He is at a garage..his own and his simple mods that should "take only about 30 mins" takes about two days :lol:

Anyways, I meant "his car" as Speed6, sorry for the confusion. He says people do GT35 kits are perfectly fine (even with no tune!) but people who do GT30s will have massive engine failure...

I've always wondered how his car will do long term, it seems like his engine will fail before his turbo will fail, but thats most likely caused the throttle plate closing on high revs and messing up the engine.

He only has 7,000 miles on the thing and many problems have shown up...good thing for ol' reliable Legacy.

Any car known for throwing rods i wouldnt buy lol

Mazdas eat oil like crazy. I always hear kids talk about there cars and how people have made 600hp or ran 9s with stock short blocks, but when i talk to them about there cars they seem to break them with just bolt ons. It makes me ask, what are they doin that your not. lol

Im not saying people havent gone 9s on a stock shortblock cause they have but it aint gonna last long unless that car comes with forged internals.

There seems to be a fair number of 300WHP Mazdaspeeds around, and they don't need to replace much at all (still on stock fuel system and turbo). However, many seem to be "we tuned it and got xxx" I don't see the follow-ups after months of daily flogging.

Really?

Mazdaspeed 6 guys never seem to post their dynos. Highest, I 've seen was 276 WHP on a dynojet with same amount of torque.

I've read of people swapping turbos on the MS6 but I never seen a dyno of a MS6 after a turbo swap. Usually, the post will start out, " I swapped stock turbo for GT35, will post results onced tuned." Then you never hear from them again.

Maybe when their engine popped, it took them with it:lol:

Anyways, I meant "his car" as Speed6, sorry for the confusion. He says people do GT35 kits are perfectly fine (even with no tune!) but people who do GT30s will have massive engine failure...

Ha!

I new that I read people were swapping out turbo but I have yet to see any tuned or untuned dynos of MS6 after a turbo swap.

The highest WHP I've read a MS6 having was 310 WHP on GT3071 with meth but no dyno chart to substantiate their claims. Something, about the stock fuel system not being able to flow enough and no aftermarket parts to upgrade it.

Lots of stories of rods breaking, even on the stock turbo. Tuning in the MS6 community seems like a rush to win the darwin awards:lol:

I add about 1/2 qt every 3000 miles, depending on how high in the RPM range I run it. To work and back, it's not so bad. :)

Thats not bad, a couple of my friends bought them new and were goin through 2 qts every 2-3kmiles. Now on has a MS3 which he says goes through over a qt every 3kmiles and the other has a ms6 which he also says goes through about the same. All these cars were purchased with less than 5kmiles on them. Mazda is too blame for lack of oil in this country lol

Seemed to use more on the first motor. This replacement motor while down a little bit on peak power, feels better mid-range...and uses less oil. :)

Archived