LegacyGT.com

Help needed. What should I do?

collegemt

On my 2008 WRX I really dislike the chrome molding in the back. However I am not sure if it is possible to paint a plastic chrome piece.

My options:

1) Buy a painted trim piece for $250 with emblem which is required

2) Buy a unpainted trim piece for $140 with emblem and have a body shop paint it.

3) Paint my chrome one. Obviosly this is the cheapest, depending on what the body shop charges to paint a chrome strip.

http://i352.photobucket.com/albums/r358/collegemt/100_0680-1.jpg

Paint the stock one on your car. The reason? You staed: It's cheapest, and if you ever go to sell it, the new buyer will think it's an OEM piece- which is how the goofs at Subaru should have designed it in the first place.

Didn't the goofs at Subaru try to change it up with the STi?

Exactly.

This chrome / altezza design that they came up with only looks 'OK' on white, or silver... anything else, it sticks out like a sore thumb.

Paint it up! Get some red film for the tails! Post pics!

Do you have a professional paint booth in your back yard? If so, rough up the chrome with some sandpaper, and then go to town with the paint gun.

if not, get a shop to do it.

Or paint it rattle can black for that JDM / 'time attack' look.

At this point anything is better than the chrome. I am going to swing by my local body shop tomorrow and get a estimate to have it painted. If it is too expensive, I might have to try this myself.

The sad thing is, when I was in Highschool my dad owned a body shop and i worked there all the time. So I know how to paint, I just don't have the tools.

Archived