LegacyGT.com

Does the Legacy windshield impair E-Z Pass?

As part of my official transition to being a NJ resident, I am about to sign up for E-Z Pass. I am wondering if anything about the Lagacy greenhouse impedes the function of the E-Z Pass transponder, and where does everyone mount their E-Z Pass transponder? I was using the one from my wife's Jetta for a period of time, and 95% of the time, it wouldn't register correctly. This may have well been the transponder, but I thought I'd see how it was working out for everyone.

Thanks!

Dan

I just leave it on the dash board when I go through tolls and its always worked fine for me.

Song of Post- Led Zeppelin- Baby I'm Gonna Leave You

'05 Black Legacy GT Wagon 5-spd

'02 Topaz/Black 330Ci 5-spd

Drift Ryder's School of Rally Arts, coming to an Australia near you.

I was doing the dashboard thing too, but that's when it was spotty. Plus, everytime I pulled away from the toll booth, it came flying off the dashboard (mostly driver induced I admit). When mounting it at the top of the windshield, I noticed in the center there is the blacked-out area behind the mirror, plus the day/night sensor for the auto-dimming mirror. Can I just put it up in the D/S upper corner?

I just hold it in one hand slightly about the steering wheel and it works fine. Not stuck to the window, doesn't even need to be that high. It will sometimes work left in the dash cubby too, but not reliable at higher speeds.

Guest JessterCPA
Mine works fine mounted just under the tint line behind the RVM.

Welcome to NJ.

This is exactly where I have it also. No problems to date.

Guest JessterCPA

Here are a couple of quick pics I just took, with the EZPAss showing.

Good Luck!

http://www.thebing.net/rice/ezpass%20002.jpg

http://www.thebing.net/rice/ezpass%20001.jpg

http://www.thebing.net/rice/ezpass%20004.jpg

No problems whatsoever. Just a bit of advice for 4 or 5 years down the road: If you sign up for any discount programs, when your battery dies and you need another EZ Pass, make sure they EZ Pass people have your new pass number recorded as a participant. I turned my pass in at the Ben Franklin Bridge, which is a DRPA facility, and these people didn't enroll the replacement they gave me. They don't go by your account number, they go by the number on your pass.

I have SmartTag, which is the VDOT equivalent of EZPass (in fact, its now compatible with EZPass readers), and have been sucessfully using it while stuffed in the dash cubby. I travel through the tolls to the hospital everyday and I haven't had any problems on the Downtown Expressway (this will make sense for Ric/VA people). The only place I have ever had problems is when crossing the Nickel Bridge (to Maymont). It only registers 60% of the time even with I hold it up through the moonroof. The attendant always says I owe her money, and its like "thats why I have the smarttag, so I don't have to keep change in the car." Oh well.

So, tag in the cubby hole works reliably on every toll around Richmond, VA (Powhite included), except crossing Nickel Bridge.

How much are all these tolls you big city people pay? In Spokane we have no tolls anywhere that I'm aware of (We used to have a toll bridge, but the booths were removed after the bridge payed for itself, which was the purpose of the toll.

Of course, we have 8.2% sales tax (yuck!). But no income tax yet.

Anyway, I'm just curious what all these rediculous tolls add up to in a normal month?

-Allen

Big city? I am 30 miles west of DC, along the VA tech corridor. $.50 each way for the Dulles toll road, plus $2.75 each way for the private 'Dulles Greenway'. I don't even want to know what it costs a month. :(

Big city? I am 30 miles west of DC, along the VA tech corridor. $.50 each way for the Dulles toll road, plus $2.75 each way for the private 'Dulles Greenway'. I don't even want to know what it costs a month. :(

You should keep track, In MA you can deduct it on you taxes if it's over 150 bucks in a year :D

Guest JessterCPA
You should keep track, In MA you can deduct it on you taxes if it's over 150 bucks in a year :D

NY & NJ offer no such bonus.

Archived