LegacyGT.com

Western PA - Beaverun Auto X - 8/16/08

hybridandy

Beaveurn is holding their next weekend informal autox on Saturday August 16th if anyone is interested.

http://www.beaverun.com/thrills_autocross.htm

This is not an official event, but rather a "test and tune" autox that they hold periodically. Basically the setup a course and there is a person with a stop watch who sets you off and tells your time when you finish and then get back in line and go again. Depending on the course setup and how many people show up, you actually get a lot of runs and driving time (typically around 10). It's a laid back environment and basically everybody's just running for fun so it's great if you've never done an event like this before.

Here's a link to my thread from the first one this season (I think this is going to be my 4th this year).

http://www.legacygt.com/forums/showthread.php?t=85909

I'm definitely going and taking the Spec B. Jer is coming and bringing his '05 STi. There may be a '05 Mini Cooper S and a few others but nobody's committed yet.

Last autox (July 4th) I tried to get my car prepped to try and match the STi (I got an accessport and went Stage 1 and installed Endless SSM brake pads) but Jer's a good driver and the STi is fast and I couldn't catch him. I'm going to give my car a tune up (60k miles) with new plugs and Extra-S gear oil but I don't think it's going to make a difference. Hopefully someone with a Stage 2 setup and maybe some better suspension (I wish I had the money for a rear sway bar right now) can show him up.

FYI, I ordered a 5 gallon bucket of Extra-S gear oil for my Legacy from King of Parts. If anybody else is in the Pittsburgh / PA area and is interested in buying some or changing their fluid here, let me know. Thanks.

How have I never run into you up there? I go everynow and then.... Good pals with the guy that runs the informal auto x.

http://i536.photobucket.com/albums/ff323/jonklein611/IMG_1539.jpg

http://i536.photobucket.com/albums/ff323/jonklein611/IMG_1630.jpg

http://i536.photobucket.com/albums/ff323/jonklein611/IMG_1816.jpg

http://i536.photobucket.com/albums/ff323/jonklein611/IMG_1628.jpg

I prob won't be able to make this one....

Ha ha, I don't know. I've been the only Legacy I've seen so far. Quite a few WRX's and STi's though.

I've talked to Chris a few times and he is a good guy. He's insanely fast in his 350Z too. For the July 4th autox, after everybody finished, he let us go on the North Track and do about 6-7 laps. No passing and no going off course but we did get to push the cars. It was a great time, I definitely want to do some of the flat out days.

Ha ha, I don't know. I've been the only Legacy I've seen so far. Quite a few WRX's and STi's though.

I've talked to Chris a few times and he is a good guy. He's insanely fast in his 350Z too. For the July 4th autox, after everybody finished, he let us go on the North Track and do about 6-7 laps. No passing and no going off course but we did get to push the cars. It was a great time, I definitely want to do some of the flat out days.

ZOMG!!! :eek: The epic north track. Idk if the old legacy could handle it, but that sounds AMAZING.

Prob the reason you don't see me is I go to school in Erie, and only come home for like holidays and stuff :mad:. Is this the last one, or is there another one?

It was great fun. I wanted to do a real trackday this summer but I was hoping to get my Nissan running to use rather than the Subaru. I just never had time to work on it. I've never driven on a real racetrack before and it's an incredible experience.

My wife and I slept in this morning and took our time getting started so I only got the oil changed, tires rotated and trans fluid switched over to Extra-S. I wanted to do the rear diff, change the coolant and change the spark plugs but I just ran out of daylight. Maybe next weekend I will get time to finish it. Jer hurt his back while washing his car today so hopefully it will hurt him tomorrow and slow him down a little (I'm a great friend).

True that. Day went great. They had a short course setup so we got a lot of runs. Probably 15-16 or so. Towards the end, there were only about 6-7 cars still making passes so there was less than 10 minutes between runs.

I got close but couldn't catch him. His best was a mid 33 second (33.52 I think) and my best was a 33.92 but I was pretty consistently in the low 34's.

I bought my wife a Canon Digital Rebel XSi for her birthday on Wednesday so I borrowed it on Saturday and took a 300mm zoom lens and we took a ton of pictures. I haven't pulled them off the camera or resized them, but I'll throw a few up once I get them downloaded. There was a new '08 WRX, a '06 STi Limited and a bunch of Nissans. There was a S13 and a Mazda pickup doing some drifting too.

http://www.beaverun.com/thrills_autocross.htm

Looks like 1 more weekend event on September 6th. The weekday events are tough since I have to take off work. I believe Chris said he may add more events depending on how the weather holds towards the end of the year. Looks like there holding a drift day on the 7th too.

http://www.beaverun.com/thrills_drift_practice.htm

If I get my Nissan running, maybe make a whole weekend out of it.

I'll probably throw up another thread once the date gets closer. Hopefully you can.

BoozeRS05, your from Latrobe? I'm actually in Latrobe right now (I work at Kennametal).

It's only about an hours drive down the turnpike for me. The Subaru loves the highway miles too (I was up to 27.9 MPG on the tank coming back).

Nice, I live in Latrobe, work in Greensburg (Mt. View Inn)...

Never tried autox, which is what makes this event very interesting to me, we'll see...

About how long of a drive from Kennametal would you guess?

Cool. I know the Mt. View. I had a offsite meeting there earlier this year and saw a blue turbo Legacy with an exhaust while I was waiting to make the left at the light going onto rt30 (They made the right to go towards Greensburg).

I would imagine it would be about the same. I gotta run to the bank later today so I'll see what the navigation says next time I'm in my car.

I think this style of autox is great for a beginner since it's basically no pressure. Your not competing against anyone unless you want to compare times (your not running in a certain class for example). Everyone's really laid back and just there to have a good time. Looks like September 6th is the next weekend event. Let me know if your interested.

Cool. I know the Mt. View. I had a offsite meeting there earlier this year and saw a blue turbo Legacy with an exhaust while I was waiting to make the left at the light going onto rt30 (They made the right to go towards Greensburg).

That was me...

Making that event is a long shot, but maybe...

Also Chris, the guy that runs them is an instructor up there. He'll gladly hop in with you and do a run, then give you feedback. He tends to make courses that reward smooth drivers (as the driver of a 135hp subaru, I have to be smooth to keep speeds up to stay with the higher hp guys).

I highly recommend going to an auto x. Makes you learn exactly what your car can do, and how to control it correctly at the limits. Hope to see folks there!

Cool. What kind of exhaust do you have on your car (I thought I remember you have one)? I'm still shopping for something for mine. Maybe we can meet up and grab some lunch or something. I work 8-5 here but am very flexible about when and how long I can take for lunch so let me know.

Chris and everybody up there are great guys and the courses are always fun. Earlier this summer he was setting up some longer courses (one of them you went through twice in one run) but those aren't as fun since if you make a mistake, your screwed and it takes so much longer to cycle through.

It's the Magnaflow exhaust, but it's an otherwise stock powered LGT... I know there's no benefit with just a CBE, but I like to be able to hear the motor. I've done most of my modding to the suspension, which is far from stock.

Is your spec.B modded?

But yeah, I work 9-6 most days, and my lunch is pretty flexable too. I don't leave the building really, so if you want to stop up some time that would be cool...

I've just basically done replacement upgrades so far. A K&N drop in filter, Endless SSM brake pads and a set of aftermarket HID headlights. I also bought an accessport as well and run the Cobb Stage 1 map. I'd like to do a full turbo back exhaust and uppipe, I just don't have the money to spend (or I do and have something else to spend it on).

I need to do an exhaust so I can hear my car. I've alwasy run loud systems though and I need something quieter for the Subaru.

Cool, maybe next week sometime. You usually just eat there?

I really like my Magnaflow (bought barely used for $500 shipped w/ resonator), sound is great, but I'd recommend a good resonator if you go stg 2 w/ an aftermarket DP (catted or not) w/ this exhaust... I've ridden in an LGT with a catted DP, and Borla CBE, which sounded really good (ie not too loud)...

You could do a custom exhaust for pretty cheap ($200-$400), and would be just as nice IMO...

Yeah, but PM me and we'll grab lunch some time next week. I don't really leave tho, senior employees get one meal per day, and our food is great IMO...

• 2 weeks later...

It's a Canon XSi I bought my wife for her birthday (which was Wednesday, two days before the autox). I bought her a Canon Elan 7E film SLR a few years ago and she has a Sigma 300mm macro lens that I used. Everything was taken in auto mode but I'd really like to learn to use some of the fancier features of this camera. I wanted to learn on her old film SLR but I didn't way to pay for the development.

The camera takes great pictures but I took over 400 pictures and they came out to 1.4GB worth of data. I'm shooting in large jpg format (4480x2600 or something similar). I've never tried shooting in RAW but this seems to work.

Sorry I missed this. I am getting the house ready to sell and haven't had much time to look on the web. Moving to Erie in the next 2 months or so. I would of definitely taken my LGT to Beaver Run. I live about 20 minutes north of Pittsburgh in Cranberry PA.

Just as a side note can any of you recommend an after market brake pad? I've done some research and it seems that the Hawk pads are a good upgrade. What are you guys running?

Have a great day!

Turboman

Archived