LegacyGT.com

Audi S4

wagonmaster87

One thing to think about with the S4 is the usable mileage range you'll be getting out of the gas tank. I don't think that they changed the tank size for the V8 model. So while you may get good range (400-500miles) out of the 4 cyl turbo, you're going to get really crappy range out of the V8 (200-300 miles).

This is the one thing that bugs me about my LGT. Why couldn't they have made a bigger 20 gallon gas tank?

From soem of the forums i have bee non people have seen 26-27mpg all freeway out of the 04 s4, which is about what i get in the subaru 27-28mpg thats only about 50miles less per tank if you were to drive all freeway, not a 200miles difference. V8s dont chug gas i used to get clsoe to 30mpg in my t/A when it had 400crank hp.

So I'm no longer considering an the S4. After further research on reliabilty, I wouldn't want a car like that at all. However I am considering a 1997 Subaru SVX, the dearler near me has one in fantastic shape. They are asking $6500 for it. I was thinking of buying it and turning it into a project car. What do you guys think/know about the SVX?

So I'm no longer considering an the S4. After further research on reliabilty, I wouldn't want a car like that at all. However I am considering a 1997 Subaru SVX, the dearler near me has one in fantastic shape. They are asking $6500 for it. I was thinking of buying it and turning it into a project car. What do you guys think/know about the SVX?

Heavy, automatic only. Groundbreaking design. Cool factor, and very rare.

STi swap? Full engine and transmission? That would be amazing.:wub:

Ich bin echt viel netter, wenn ich nuechtern bin. Echt!

I've had Audi's in my family before, and my family's general concenus was "if you're going to spend money on an Audi, you might as well go for a BMW, it's more dependable and a better brand"

I test drove an audi before buying my LGT, and well... I have my LGT.

Check AudiWorld forums for more detail on the pros/cons of the S4 you are looking at. I strongly considered Audi before going with the LGT. I've owned 3 VWs and never had the reliability problems others complain about (some with very high mileage).

This thread might help you on what to look for if you decide to go the S4 route...

A friend and his brother had an A4 and S4. He has since purchased an Acura TL. His comment was, "It spent more time in the shop than our five year old Ford truck." I took this to be a bad thing.

Audis interior designs are very nice, though.

I loved my S4. So did the dealer. Since the dealer's shop had the car for exactly half the time I owned it, I think they liked it very much.

I hope the new owner likes it just as much. Good ridance.

jack

drove in a friends audi S4, it was really nice and it was the V8 and he had a few things done to it, rims, suspension, some kind of dash kit so he could put a motorized unit in their, and as much as I liked how it/he drove it, when I got my ass back in my LGT, I was absolutly happier with it in every respect and aspect. but I must attribute that to the philosophy of what is yours is yours, I just like everything done on my car, because it was done with myself in mind. 540i's are so sexy though, my dads coworker has one with I believe the 6 speed and I believe he put an M5 front on it plus M5 rims, id honestly rather have the bimmer then the S4

• 6 months later...

Audi reliability has gone up a lot since 2001 or so. Of course, i've been spending close to 300 a month on repairs (and not at the dealer, either) on my 2000 N/A V6 A4 Avant. Can't even imagine what the 1.8t/2.0t costs would have been o_O. If repairs were done at dealer instead of a VERY good indy shop, I would have spent closer to $500/month.

And it only has 78xxx miles and is VERY well maintained in stock condition.

Hope you don't need to swap the turbos...... :lol:

That's for a B5 S4, the OP is looking at a B6 S4 which is the non turbo V8. So I would really hope he does not need to swap turbos!! :lol:

I half looked at a B6 S4, I love how they look, sound etc, but 12MPG and 200 miles to a tank of gas put me off (was researching over at Audizine, Audiworld etc).

Now I am just trying to find a LGT wagon that's not halfway across the country.

Archived