LegacyGT.com

Turbo question

Epitaph

I recently test drove an 05 gt and I must say that I was pretty impressed, however the salesman wasn't to apt when it came to answering some of my questions...

How much psi does the turbo put out stock? When I rev'd the engine there I could barely hear it...

Yeah, most subaru dealers know nothing about the cars they sell, thats why people come to places like this :) Hatt was right, its around 13.5 psi, it varries with weather conditions though. As for hearing it, just put in a new pannel filter (AVO, Blitz, Perrin) and you will deffinetly hear it more. I have an AVO and can hear it very nice now, not to loud, but loud enough.

13.5 psi stock.

It's a bit more like 13 flat though.

Not bad...*rubs chin* not bad at all...

Yeah, most subaru dealers know nothing about the cars they sell, thats why people come to places like this :) Hatt was right, its around 13.5 psi, it varries with weather conditions though. As for hearing it, just put in a new pannel filter (AVO, Blitz, Perrin) and you will deffinetly hear it more. I have an AVO and can hear it very nice now, not to loud, but loud enough.

Yea, my dad is actually a car dealer as well and he knew the guy so i didnt have to go through a lot of bullshit before i tested it. Do they make intake systems for the car or just the filter? because all i've seen is a replacement filter that allows more air through, an someother thing for like 1300....

I swear i don't understand how some people can sell cars. When i went to get the LGT, i was talking to our salesman and he asked if i was looking at any other cars. I was telling him the TSX among a few others. He asked what company made it, cause he had never heard of it before.....ahhhh ok?

This was back in august.

If you're just free-revving the engine, you're not going to hear much from the turbo. Without a load, it won't produce much boost at all. :)
:o yea? i did not know that. i dont know all too much about turbos, or 4 cylinder engines for that matter. My friends got a turbo charged protoge an when he revs it i hear quite a lot from the turbo...

Epitaph, the amount of turbo noise that is heard "stock" varies from car to car. Let me clarify, if a car whose target audience is "younger", more than likely that car will feature more noises that they would want. Generally.
:orly:YA RLY!!! Home of +2500 useless posts!!!!

Epitaph, the amount of turbo noise that is heard "stock" varies from car to car. Let me clarify, if a car whose target audience is "younger", more than likely that car will feature more noises that they would want. Generally.
That makes sense.... :shrug:

I thought that proteges were N/A from the factory? Did he add a turbo kit?
Sure didnt he got the Mazdaspeed protege..

There was a Protege with a factory turbo on it that was out for a year or two. I think it was called Madzaspeed.

Mazdaspeed does more then jus proteges now, they have a mazda speed miata, and the new mazda speed mazda 6's are looking pretty impressive..

Let me try the turbo noise thing again. Some turbo cars have their systems set up from the factory to allow more sound to be heard (SRT-4). Others have their systems set up so that the turbo is virtually non-detectable (LegacyGT). Different cars, different target markets.
:orly:YA RLY!!! Home of +2500 useless posts!!!!

Yeah, a stock turbo shouldn't make much noise if you are in neutral. If you have a chance to watch a boost gauge in a turbo Subaru, you'll notice that it barely spools up, even at redline, if the car is in neutral. Without a lot of load on the engine, it doesn't take much fueling/ignition to take the car to redline. Since it doesn't take much power to get to redline, the engine doesn't produce much exhaust (and hence why the turbo doesn't spool much).

If you are interested in adding the 'turbo' sound back into your car, there are plenty of ways to accomplish that but none I would/could recomend because its not something I would do to my own car.

No, the mazdaspeed is a protoge with a T25 and an unmodified engine block. Not my cup of tea.

The turbo is not making noise cause there is NO pre-load. I don't care what car you have, factory turboed cars produce NO preload in neatrual.

I own a Modified Eclipse GS-T that is putting out some good power. If I rev it to 6k and let off there is a noise but it is not the same as if it was running.

Get an open airfilter or cone and lose the box filter and it will "sound" better. But nothing great.

u don't need an intake kit for the LGT. It's intake system is very effective. A Panel filter is nice. You can also remove the intake 'resonance chamber' to add sound bling-bling.
Yea? sounds good to me, i dont know all that much about theese cars yet.

Get an open airfilter or cone and lose the box filter and it will "sound" better. But nothing great.

k

Archived