LegacyGT.com

Dyno tuning w/ECUflash?

Predator

I've noticed a lot of people buying "off the shelf" maps for their Cobb Accessport. However I'd prefer to let the shop who tunes my Evo do a custom dyno tune for my Legacy GT wagon. I'm planning to get some Prodrive cans and custom tune and call it a day. Can ECUflash be used to reflash the Legacy's ECU or will I have to spend hundreds on a "license" for tuning software like ECUtek or something comparable?

As a tuner who works on both Subarus and Evo's I will say that that many guys who primarily tune Evo's have no clue when it comes to Subarus. Tuning an Evo is a cakewalk compared to properly tuning a Subaru, so hopefully the shop the OP is considering has plenty of Subaru experience.

To answer the original question you can use opensource tools (Ecuflash and Rom Raider) to tune an 05-06 LGT, just like you would with an Evo. No license costs required. The 07-08 CAN bus cars will be tunable with OS tools as soon as the CAN bus compatible Tactrix cable is released and the ROMs are defined.

The shop I go to (GST Motorsports) has two tuners, one for Evos and one for Subarus, so I should be in good shape. Their Subaru tuner was tuning EJ's in the UK back when the WRX was still just a dream in the USDM. I have a tactrix cable and ECUflash installed on my laptop that I use to switch between the 91 octane and 100 octane maps on the Evo. Obviously the tuner will have the right software and appropriate tactrix cable to connect to my Legacy's OBDIII port and tune the car, but how do I know if my laptop and tactrix cable are the right combo to reflash the Legacy's ECU in the future?

The shop I go to (GST Motorsports) has two tuners, one for Evos and one for Subarus, so I should be in good shape. Their Subaru tuner was tuning EJ's in the UK back when the WRX was still just a dream in the USDM. I have a tactrix cable and ECUflash installed on my laptop that I use to switch between the 91 octane and 100 octane maps on the Evo. Obviously the tuner will have the right software and appropriate tactrix cable to connect to my Legacy's OBDIII port and tune the car, but how do I know if my laptop and tactrix cable are the right combo to reflash the Legacy's ECU in the future?

You should be in good hands with GST. Which Tactrix cable do you have right now and what year is your LGT?

The LGT is an '05 auto and the tactrix cable is version 1.3M. Sorta seems like tactrix's website is pretty vague regarding the ETA of OpenPort 2.0 - which apparently is going to be a nice little upgrade. For an extra bonus question :), any idea if I can still use Scan Tech to check and clear CEL's on the Legacy?

Taken from another thread, cable compatibility:

;2000105']1.1 - Subaru 2.0 turbo

1.2 - Subaru 2.0 + 2.5 turbo

1.3S - Subaru 2.0 + 2.5 turbo

1.3M - Subaru 2.5 turbo + Mitsubishi

1.3U - All of the above

2.0 - All of the above + CAN

• 1 month later...

Archived