LegacyGT.com

any reliabilty issues/Invidia down pipe

ripsweetness

I have narrowed my downpipe search to

Invidia catted downpipe Pros (price/ divorced) Cons (im aware of waste gate issue)

Cobb catted downpipe Pros (fitment/build quality) Cons (price)

Now has anybody seen or heard of cracks or any problems at all with the reliability of the Invidia Down pipe?

i am very pleased with the harmon motive downpipe... its basically cobb's downpipe except its $50 cheaper and it has a true 3" outlet so you dont have to spend more money getting a new flange put on it if you go that route. if you want it to mate up to the oem catback or a 2.5" catback you can get a flange adaptor like im currently running now (works great, no leaks)

i am very pleased with the harmon motive downpipe... its basically cobb's downpipe except its $50 cheaper and it has a true 3" outlet so you dont have to spend more money getting a new flange put on it if you go that route. if you want it to mate up to the oem catback or a 2.5" catback you can get a flange adaptor like im currently running now (works great, no leaks)

How much louder than stock is it?

How much louder than stock is it?

i was hogzausted pre dp install but i took them out post install - i think volume wise it was about the same but its much more of a clean sound rather than the raw one of the hogzaust... its catted so volume is lower yet you can still make it roar and backfire if desired

i thought that would be more towards the exhaust than the downpipe ~

i'm running the borla and it was much louder than i was expecting. so i just put a second resonator on it.. not so annoying now ~

Its all a puzzle. Each piece throughout the entire exhaust changes the sound. The more you focus on each piece being as quiet as possible the lower overall sound you will have. Do you regret the borla? I heard it was one of the more quiet exhausts?

Its all a puzzle. Each piece throughout the entire exhaust changes the sound. The more you focus on each piece being as quiet as possible the lower overall sound you will have. Do you regret the borla? I heard it was one of the more quiet exhausts?

i went with the borla because it was said to be one of the more quiet exhausts-obviously not true.. but it makes me wonder what the loudest exhaust setup sounds like then..

at the time i was interested in the megan racing quad tip..but there seemed to be fitment issues with that... i hear the prodrives are nice..but i'm not sure about quietness/noise level on those babies ~

another note about the borla is that it's 2.5 piping..or 2.75..so it's restricting airflow.

if i knew that it was that size piping, i also wouldn't have gone with it ~

well ive had my "modified" catted invidia downpipe for about a year and a half now (probably about 35k miles) and no problems, well besides the initially cutting and welding to make it fit the megan racing quad tip. If they fixed this issue, then i would definitely recommend it (I dont know if they ever changed the design, i purchased it on the first group buy..)

and its very quiet, much to my surprise

The prodrives are quieter than borla's. However you cannot find a prodrive set in any retail shop unless they forgot its back in inventory since they left the U.S. but are supposedly coming back.

The piping on most exhausts are 3 inch's and it sucks that some don't specify diameter.

2008 6mt Legacy Gt Spec B DGM - Not so Stock/Work in progress

2006 5mt Legacy Gt OBP - Sold

2005 5eat Legacy Gt OBP - RIP

R.I.P Coxx

magnaflow is actually pretty quiet

compared to what, the perrin!?

Those mufflers are in the louder spectrum. Definitely louder than the borla's and the x02's.

The following mufflers are as quiet as you can get(please feel free to put your input):

Prodrives

Lachutes

Avo

Stock Mufflers(many members have this setup including me mated to a 3inch turbo back since it adds just enough sound)

Remember this is also using a 3 inch turbo back before the mufflers. Your experience my differ if you use a catless turbo back. On the other end if you have stock piping and you change ONLY your mufflers than tons of mufflers will be rather subdued.

R.I.P Coxx

I have heard issues with the invidia. Like the end of the downpipe mating wrong with the cat-back. Also something about the divorced piece. Imho if you aren't going to upgrade cat-back or you are going with borla, cobb, or magnaflow cat-backs(they all are 2.5 to mate to dp) then go with the cobb. I am actually getting one delivered today and can't wait. i chose cobb because of the brand and because not going to be upgrading cat-back, and because everyone who has one loves the fitment and quality. If you dont want to pay sticker price wait for a used one like i did. I got a deal 3 months old and 450 with heat wrap. 8)

As for quiet exhausts i have heard that borla is one of the quietest but it has one of the classiest sounds. Go to the review section of this forum and look at what people said about the dp's and about the cat-backs.

Yes the cobb dp's are good but in order to get a full 3 inch you gotta do a bit of work to them. I am very happy with my invidia dp.

Borla's are very quiet compared to many full cbe's.

R.I.P Coxx

I'm running Invidia catless and Magnaflow -- aside from the divorced bellmouth, you shouldn't have any problems. I took the mid to a muffler shop and had them weld a 3" flat flange, fit right up.

As far as the sound goes, eh I guess it's pretty loud. Can't really tell if the windows are up. Still not so loud that it's annoying or anything... then again I did own an '84 Lincoln Mark VII with straight pipes, so...

compared to what, the perrin!?

Those mufflers are in the louder spectrum. Definitely louder than the borla's and the x02's.

The following mufflers are as quiet as you can get(please feel free to put your input):

Prodrives

Lachutes

Avo

Stock Mufflers(many members have this setup including me mated to a 3inch turbo back since it adds just enough sound)

Remember this is also using a 3 inch turbo back before the mufflers. Your experience my differ if you use a catless turbo back. On the other end if you have stock piping and you change ONLY your mufflers than tons of mufflers will be rather subdued.

check tthis out.... [ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1u2bjW0wo3E]YouTube - Legacy Spec.B Drive by with Magnaflow (no resonator)[/ame]

granted its a youtube video so audio isnt the best but i think thats pretty quiet compared to a lot of other systems... no its not the quietest but thats a turboback set up not just a video of the catback

I can't see the video since i am at work but i have seen the magnaflows in person from two members...and sorry to say in my opinion its a bit loud, of course if your comparing it to what wrx's and sti's use then yes its not as loud.

Something i failed to mention, everyone has their own tastes. I for one do now like a loud exhaust. To one person an exhaust is quiet to another its effin loud. For example...if no one liked loud exhausts NO ONE would buy a perrin set up, but many people run that setup and find it to be perfect, and its not cause its cheap since its A grand for a perrin cbe. To each his own.

R.I.P Coxx

I have to get it fairly hot for backfires to start, and they really don't happen frequently so it doesn't bother me. Apparently from someone in an Impreza that was following me if I'm really on it, I throw flames out of both tips. I'm not particularly excited about that, but meh. Part of running catless.

Archived