LegacyGT.com

underbelly needs rustoleum?

on most of my previous cars i put a few layers of rustoleum to prevent rust and whatnot. for anyof you who had had their subarus for a few years that live in areas where salt is used on roads during winter seasons, how bad if any is the rust situation on these cars? the lot where i park my car for work has a salt dome right next to it and i wanna clear this up before they actually put it on the streets. so please, if anyone has any input that can help me please drop it here!!!

I would imagine a good spreading of an appropriate grease (Silicone?) on the door hinges on an annual basis would help alleviate any concerns there. I'm worried about the body underneath the plastic trim in the wheel wells.

I'm pretty impressed by the thick coating of stuff on the underside of the Subie.

Joe

Heh, I just clean those areas often. Grease and silicon keep the water out but tend to attract dirt. I just wanted to bring those arias to your attention. Especially under the plastic trim by the wipers...that might actually be a place i will spray with some rustoleum.

Under the car it is pretty well covered. If you want to get crazy; you could pop of the plastic fender wells and hit the body with bed liner as the under coat dose not go all the way up them.

On my older vehicles I've cleaned the fenders out thoroughly and sprayed rubberized coating in there. Looks like it has been helping.

My biggest concerns are the small water drain holes on the very inner bottom of the doors and the trunk, mine are begnining to show surface rust already.

I wouldn't worry about the underbody, they really go overboard on the cosmoline. Most of it was sprayed on some suspensions parts and also the inside of my wheels during application.

Archived