LegacyGT.com

Goop on trans. pan. Problem?

Took a peek under my car today, don't know why, I just do that once in a while to check "things" out and I noticed that it looked wet/gooey on what I think is my trans. pan. I climbed under with my camera and took a pic. The goo is....gooey, I could scrape it off, but it's not wet to the touch. No leaks/drips under the car whatsoever. I always look for that...paranoid. Maybe this is from a previous problem, before I had the car?

05 LGT 5EAT

Thoughts...?

http://lh3.ggpht.com/gmoreschi/SJDhK0urejI/AAAAAAAABes/aFmKhQ7qTzM/s800/DSC04030.JPG

Nobody, nada, nothing? C'mon, help save me a trip to the dealer...

I lifted the car and got a better look. Scraped some more of the goop. It's not really oily, more thick/sticky. I could mold a chunk of it into a little ball and my fingers didn't get very dirty. No smell at all. There's no sign of anything forward of the goop, nothing to see under the hood or anywhere else. I wish it were in a place easier to get to. I would clean it off and watch for it to come back. :\

My LGT friends will wonder why I'm inspecting under their cars tomorrow in the lot at work. :)

Normal.

That "goop" is cosmoline or some other type of anti-corrosion coating. The underside of my LGT as well as my brother in-law's looks just like that. In fact, all the other LGTs I've seen exhibit the same traces of "goop".

Grimace saves the day!!.. LOL

Thanks. I feel better. I guess the real problem is... Why the hell didn't they spread it evenly across the whole pan!?!? Maybe it just wore off towards the rear. What a weird/messy way to protect against corrosion. Though I guess it's unreasonable for me to want the underside to be as clean as the top side. :(

No need to worry - it's only a bit of sweating from the gasket or drain plug. Tighten the screws a little and you should be fine.

As long as it's dry or almost dry this is no problem. If you have a big leak the dirt won't stick.

See it as corrosion protection.

453747.png

I looked under 2 other LGTs today...same exact thing on both of those. It is for sure..."just the way the car is" in this regard. Thanks for the feedback everyone.

Archived