LegacyGT.com

The New Eclipse... Why Mitsu, why?

So... with cars getting faster and all, one would expect that the newly designed '06 Mitsubishi Eclipse would "bring it" right?

Got the scoop from a magazine blurb at the bookstore today. Looks like its going to have a 3.8 litre NA 6, putting out about 260 horse? Bleh.

Why are they even going to bother? A 50 horsepower increase does very little for this car. In terms of performance, what will it do, bring the Eclipse GT's 1/4 mile down from a 15.1 to a 14.7?

I just don't understand this company.

*On a happy note for base-model enthusiasts; the base Eclipse will now have the 2.4 M-vech motor, which I estimate will produce the first sub 16-second base Eclipse. I'm predicting it will click off a high 15 1/4 mile, just .5 seconds slower than the 4.0 litre base Mustang. :rolleyes:

So if middle-of-the-pack mediocrity is your target when shopping for a sports car, the all new '06 Eclipse is for you.

I agree. I miss the GSX/TSIs! I dont understand why they would switch to only FWD and only NA engiines. Its disaster. No enthusiasts are buying this product. And its really as shame bc body wise the new eclipse looks better than the last generation with the body cladding....

Jeff

I dunno, I kind of like it. Unless they really, really foul up the gearing or the thing is a brick, it should do better than 14.7. Mitsubishi is still in deep doodoo, though. Bring back the GTO, AWD straight 6 turbo would breathe a little life back in to them.

Guest JessterCPA
I dunno, I kind of like it. Unless they really, really foul up the gearing or the thing is a brick, it should do better than 14.7. Mitsubishi is still in deep doodoo, though. Bring back the GTO, AWD straight 6 turbo would breathe a little life back in to them.

Here is the problem with bringing that car back.

First off, they do not have an existing straight 6. They need to develop one (big $$$)

Second, by the time you had a decked out GTO, 3000GT, whatever you want to call it, it was close to $50,000. That was a lot of cash back then & still is. To develop & attept to sell a car with a narrow potential sales base is a risky move.

What Mitsu really needs to do is come out with good cars period. The Galant is so beaten by the Camry & Accord. The Lancer cannot compare with the Civic/Sentra/Corolla crowd. Even their trucks are not doing well anymore. If you sell lots of cars in the general classifications, that frees money up to make the interesting cars. Honda sells so many Accords & Civics that they could lose money on every single S2000 they make & it wouldnt make one speck of difference to Honda. Mitsu does not enjoy that comfort level. They downgraded the Eclipse in order to do this. Made it more friendly. Yes they alienated their enthusiast fans, but they are trying to sell more cars.

Just my .02.

That's true, Jester, it would be a huge cost to build up a whole new engine. They could use their new "universal V6" that they took out of the Montero (???) to put in the Eclipse, but I have a feeling it just wouldn't be the same. It's just sad that since the 3KGT is gone, you can't get an AWD coupe cheaper than a Carerra 4 any more (or can you?).

Guest JessterCPA
That's true, Jester, it would be a huge cost to build up a whole new engine. They could use their new "universal V6" that they took out of the Montero (???) to put in the Eclipse, but I have a feeling it just wouldn't be the same. It's just sad that since the 3KGT is gone, you can't get an AWD coupe cheaper than a Carerra 4 any more (or can you?).

R32 and TT are the only ones I can come up with.

anybody driven the Montero? I have. I wouldn't want that motor in a 'sporty' car. Sure, you are dealing with less weight to haul around, but a performance motor it's not.

Mitsu has shown some cool RalliSpec concept cars, all powered by the EVO mill. A few have gotten good writeups after test drives. Certainly, they could follow Subaru's lead and offer a low-power version ala the WRX and certainly get some buyers back in their corner. Fun to drive, affordable, reasonably quick.....all things we used to say about the DSM cars and the WRX. Throw in the great warranty, add some build quality and market the heck out of the new cars......

The 3.8 in the Eclipse is the exact same motor in the Montero, except with MIVEC added to it.

If they merge with Peugeot (which is a rumor being heavily floated right now) and rebadges their cars for US consumption, it would be worlds better than the dreck they're selling right now.

I can't believe I was even considering the Galant GTZ before I bought the LGT :confused:

Mitsu, needs a target. Mazda's got the zoom zoom in their cars. Subaru has the AWD, that's all I'll drive. Honda and Toyota are the kings of dependability. Nissan breathes new life after the re-intro of the Z-car platform, 350Z and later G35. BTW, I also feel that Nissan and Mazda have the best looking car line-ups from top to bottom of any Japanese manufacturer. What's Mitsu's marketing direction? The best backed cars in the world. That's akin to saying, when it breaks, and it will, we'll fix it. They've got the EVO, a cult car. But it's far from defining the company strategy. They got nothing else like it in their line-up.

Whatever happened to their relationship with Chrysler? Seems like Chrysler kept their heads above water by rebadging several of Mitsu's cars while they redefined themselves, then spit them out.

Mitsu even did away with their "flagship vehicle", the Diamante here in the states. I remember travelling to Japan 7-10 years back and seeing a really sweet looking and performing version of this car. Alas, never made it state-side in that rendition. What has come to our shores over the past several years under the Diamante name, has been a deteriorating "me-too".

I'm afraid Mitsu will continue to bleed money, until it becomes terminal.

Whatever happened to the rumors that mitsu was going bankrupt? Chrysler backed out on them and left them to dry - the CEO quit... things were looking really bad for them and everyone was saying how they wouldnt last another year.

Now they've got new cars coming out, a new ceo, still no money and no real marketing strategy or good cars.

It took renault to bail out Nissan a few years back and get that company turned around - i'm sure it will take something similar to get Mitsu back on track-- it's just a matter of who its going to be. If it ends up being Puegeot, that would definetly be pretty cool.

Chrysler didn't bail at all. In fact, DC had to decide whether to do so and they chose to stay involved, but not to infuse more cash. Mitsu has the responsbility for engineering the next-gen Neon chassis and Daimler has too much riding on that to bail now.

I see a takeover happening. Peugot owns the small car market in Europe. DC's long involvement with Mitsu revolves around their (former) expertise with the small car market. Peugot wants back into the US and Mitsu as the dealer channel set up. Peugot buys Mitsu, continuing the Neon development for DC and starts releasing their products through channels once certified. Mitsu's product line will have to be revamped to be successful (ala Nissan).

Archived