LegacyGT.com

Motor swap Questions!!!!

I have a 90 legacy Awd with a 2.2 and I want to do a 2.5 motor swap. I know the motors are similar and that makes me wonder if it is worth it. And I have many questions about doing it. :confused:

1. Is it worth it?

2. Will a 2.2 wiring harness work?

3. Will a 2.2 fuel injection system or wiring harness work?

4. Will the 2.2 ECU work? If not were can I find one that will?

5. Will the stock automatic tranny bolt up or hold up to a 2.5?

6. Is a stroker kit worth it? If so what is a good company that deals with stoker kits.

Or anything I missed that you might know that I missed would be a big help. Thanks a lot.

yeah you might wana know that..

the ej22 has the strongest block of any subaru motor...

and from what i hear a built ej22 has more potential than a 2.5..

so id say keep it and make it a monster..

because your looking at to much work doing a N/A swap..

it would only be worth it if the motor you were inserting was a turbo motor.

Not worth it, find an ej22t block and build it up. The 2.2's are much more solid.

You would have to get a new ecu and all new wiring for a 2.5, which is just a waste of time.

I have a 90 legacy Awd with a 2.2 and I want to do a 2.5 motor swap. I know the motors are similar and that makes me wonder if it is worth it. And I have many questions about doing it. :confused:

1. Is it worth it? That depends on your goals. You will pick up 30-40Hp depending on the year of the 2.5

2. Will a 2.2 wiring harness work? NO

3. Will a 2.2 fuel injection system or wiring harness work? NO

4. Will the 2.2 ECU work? If not were can I find one that will? NO, you will need the 2.5 ECU for the same year engine you are installing for it to run properly

5. Will the stock automatic tranny bolt up or hold up to a 2.5? Yes, and probably

6. Is a stroker kit worth it? If so what is a good company that deals with stoker kits. Again, it depends on your goals.

Or anything I missed that you might know that I missed would be a big help. Thanks a lot.

basicly man just slap a turbo on it and have a fast car..

then when your motor blows just rebuild everything with forged internals fix the compression and slap the turbo back on it so this time its built and will just be fast :)

• 2 weeks later...
Don't waste your time on a 2.5. Like Bdubs said, find an old 2.2L turbo. MUCH more rewarding and reliable and powerful. Don't turbo your exsisting 2.2 btw - it's different to a real 2.2T

this has nothing to do with the thread but

this is to reuben

do you have 2 sets of fogs on your bd or just the jdm projectors?

It's a BG btw, and yes, 2 sets of fogs. Don't know why, but all Limited's got them.

wiring is deff not my area of comfort but just find a wiring diagram and it should tell you all you need to know

Anyone know where I can find such a wiring diagram? I have the diagrams for my USDM BD, but I need the wiring to the JDM engine (not sure how to determine exactly what the donor car was).

Archived