LegacyGT.com

Me LGT against a 89' 5.0 Mustang??

ok, this is gonna be fun and games. me and one of my buddy has made a agreement on whos car is faster. so we planned a day to go to CMI and test our cars out. we bet on lunch and full tank of GAS. He has a 5.0 Mustang 1989 5speed and i have an 07 LGT. mods? just an intake for me (non-tuned) and hes going to put in a intake and exhaust system from cat-back only. i can say, we are pretty stock. but the thing is, what do you guys think? do i have a chance? he thinks he can blow me away. he even agreed to let me have a car head start. i was like wow. really? i thought it was the other way around. haha. i heard they only do 225hp to the crank stock. so i guess letting him have the mods will be ok. anyways, Hes a big fan of mustang and have too much Confidence. he knows mine is turbo and he knows i have a 4 cyclinder. and laughed at my 4 banger. he calls it a rice rocket... haha. he doesnt know about my HP since he didnt ask and he doesnt know my suggested 1/4 mile stock. so well see.

I HOPE THIS IS A LEGAL THREAD!!!

If your not street racing, it's ok to post. Just take it to the track. With a good launch, you should take him.....auto or mt?

Guy at work is running stage 1 on his auto put down a 13.7 @ 97.5mph. Stock MT you should see 13.9-14.2 @96-99mph. Take a look at dragtimes.com and look up his year mustangs with similar mods.

To bad you couldn't tune that intake B4 the race. You should take him. Unfortunately most American muscle car gearheads put all Japanese cars in the same bucket. If the word rice is used in any way to describe my car I would be pissed. However, I know you guys are buddies so he probably didn't mean anything by it.
I'm probably the only person that has Wu-Tang Clan and Paul McCartney on their mp3.:p

What rear-end gears is he using? I've seen Stock 5.0's run very very low 14s on just 4.11:1 gears, and a clamp-on filter. :)

And if he does the exhaust? The larger the displacemet the engine, generally the larger the gain from bolt-ons.

SOLD | '06 spec.B - VF52/AVO/740cc/Up/Down | 238awhp | 50-80mph 3.1 seconds.

you may want to invest in some sticker tires. spinning your RE92's off the line will cost you valuable time. pick up some cheap Kumho ASX or SPT's.

oh and ditch the intake. a good chance it could be hurting you without a tune. the stocker is good until you do a turbo upgrade.

^

Before you hit the track, remove your spare, jack and any additional weight. Also, only run with about 1/4 tank of gas. And if you race more than once, you may want to ice down your IC between runs.

Listen, the 5.0 lx cars have gone 14flat bone stock with an amazing driver. Most people at the track in bone stock fox bodys have a hard time getting out of the 15s. With exhaust and intake and a good driver i would say hes a low to mid 14 second car(people have gone 13s but not likely he will), which is right where you are. If you are both stick its gonna be a drivers race. Im a domestic guy but i would never put the legacy GT in the rice rocket class. Its a classy import plan and simple, not a honda civic with a folders coffee can for exhaust which i have literally seen before. If hes auto hes gonna get raped, the 5.0 autos were horribly slow most are high 15 low 16 second cars.

but...watch out for Probe GTs..

[ame=http://video.google.com/videoplay?docid=790543270577178929&q=Probe+GT+vs+eclipse&ei=ztSISKTnJoSaqQLqpp29Cw&hl=en]Ford Probe GT vs Eclipse[/ame]

:D

Or...

[ame=http://video.google.com/videoplay?docid=3897767738324580152&q=Probe+GT+13s&ei=KdWISMiiBY3YqQLEi923CA&hl=en]Ford Probe GT vs Lightning[/ame]

Listen, the 5.0 lx cars have gone 14flat bone stock with an amazing driver. Most people at the track in bone stock fox bodys have a hard time getting out of the 15s. With exhaust and intake and a good driver i would say hes a low to mid 14 second car(people have gone 13s but not likely he will), which is right where you are. If you are both stick its gonna be a drivers race. Im a domestic guy but i would never put the legacy GT in the rice rocket class. Its a classy import plan and simple, not a honda civic with a folders coffee can for exhaust which i have literally seen before. If hes auto hes gonna get raped, the 5.0 autos were horribly slow most are high 15 low 16 second cars.

Driver is going to be big here. Hell was watching a show on tv the other night...some gameshow where three guys guess the 1/4 mile of random cars that come up to the line...and a guy with a 2002 Mustang GT with a supercharger running 8PSI only put down a 14.7. The dudes thought he'd be running high 12's to low 13's.

See, I had a 93 Probe GT... my Legacy GT feels SO much quicker, not to mention MUCH easier to launch and handle.

Against the V8 Mustang, it might be close, but I have a feeling it is going to be far too close for your friend's comfort, especially if you edge him out.

The Mustang is a V8 performance coupe, with little other function than to be fast. The Legacy is a family car with AWD, and a turbo 4, and shouldn't challenge the mustang's bragging rights. :D

My ProbeGT (The one in those vids) was MUCH faster than my LGT. I had it trapping 105mph+. Now...which one do I prefer? The LGT hands-down. It's not a 'project' like the Probe was. :D

ok, i see. well, he probably ment rice rocket in a unhateful way. but yeah, hes got no built internals or anything. hes also a MT. but i guess i agreed to let him have a exhaust and intake. so well see. we gonna do it out of 3 runs. and since he agreed to let me have a car lane head start, well do that too and see. hahha. well, wish me luck, but i have a good feeling i might take him. he barely beat the GSR with bolt-ons. lol. lets hope he races me before i secretly put on my 18g set-up. lol i bet he wont notice. lol. other then a louder exhaust. haha

Yeah but what was done to the probe to have it trapping 105?

spec.B badge blessed by Vimy himself.

:)

($4,000 worth of t3super60 @ 8psi [and associated/required goodies] ;)...which is why it was a project.)

I dont think so, where did you get that info? They only came in 2.73 or the GTs had 3.08s i believe, soem years had 3.27s available as an option. 3.73 would give them horrible gas mileage. I have also helped build a 91lx and 89GT 5.0 and both of my friends went with 3.73s and both of there speedos are now off, so i dont think those were the stock gears.

Yeah i saw the manual part now

Archived