LegacyGT.com

Clunking while tight cornering..

Hey guys, found a couple of threads with similar issues, but wanted to post anyway as mine's a little different..

Vehicle is a '00 LGT 5MT with 105k and I only get the clunk under pretty specific conditions.. It only happens on low-speed tight cornering (parking), and only just after putting on some highway miles.

IE - I take it out and put on 60+ highway miles, then it will clunk clunk clunk while turning into parking spots, etc. When I go to drive it again the next day - the problem is gone!

Sounds like it's coming from the front of the car, but I'm not sure where exactly.. Center diff? Front diff? Axles? Wheel bearings? Ugh..

Should I try the tranny flush/fill that has worked for some? Any other suggestions?

Thanks guys,

Jordan

Look under the car at your CV boots. They don't need to be ripped in order to be no good, but they probably are by now and have lost their lubricant.

Stop the vehicle in an open space. Put it in gear, turn all the way to the direction you hear the sound, let the car idle itself, then accelerate just for a second while turning.

If the sound is a constant clicking - the CV axle on the opposite side of the direction you turned is no good. If you turned left and heard it, the RH CV is bad. If you turn right and hear it, the LH CV is bad.

The longer you let it go, the louder the clicking will become and more likely the joint is to completely fail - don't let the issue slide, replace it asap.

Archived